Author Topic: Births Tasmania - STILLING  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Births Tasmania - STILLING
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 April 21 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I by chance just came across the post about Thomas William Stilling, (1826-1912). He is my 2 x great grandfather and I have completed a lot of research on his life. 12 children over 42 years with 4 different women, married to 3 and there's a lot more. Happy to help anyone that has questions.

Chucky
Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline Margaret Hansen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 April 21 07:45 BST (UK) »
HI Chucky.
Do you have any records of him marrying Charlotte Florence Stratford[Gerrard].
They had May Georgina Florence Stilling Stratford, together. she was born in 1871 Greymouth NZ.
I think they met in France or Italy where they were born.
thanks
Margaret

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 April 21 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

From what I have found they didn't actually marry.

They meet in Greymouth on the west coast of NZ where TWS was most likely working as a drapers assistant. This would have been during 1870. TWS is another story which is far to much to go into now.

Her full name was Lady Charlotte Florence Stratford the daughter of Mason Gerald Stratford the 5th Earl of Aldborough and Countess Mary Arundel. Unfortunately she died young aged 30 after returning to England to visit her mother who was ill and eventually died.

Florence moved to NZ after her father died and their family had fallen into financial problems, they were broke. She was living with Henry Aldorough Stratford Henniker, a nephew of Lord Henniker.

As I said from what I have found they didn't actually marry possibly because TWS was still married to Dinah Tapper.

Their relationship however did result in a child, May Georgina Florence Stilling, born in May 1871. Florence as she was also called married Leonard Henry Ernest Kilmister in 1907 in Wellington and lived until she was 80.

Chucky
Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise