Author Topic: George Gibson b. approx.1830 England  (Read 2240 times)

Offline ABC08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Gibson b. approx.1830 England
« on: Sunday 11 March 12 01:12 GMT (UK) »
George Gibson b. approx.1830 Middlesex, England
In 1856 he is in Queensland, Australia marrying Eliza Downs (Ireland).  He states his age is 26 and that he was born in Middlesex.  The place of birth on the marriage certificate appears to be E ???ton
His Father is William Gibson (jeweller) and mother, Susannah Hutchinson.  I cannot find anything about this person prior to this marriage date.  I can't find his ship arrival.

Offline Robynhood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Gibson b. approx.1830 England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 March 12 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  I have just joined Rootschat recently but I am related to the Gibsons through marriage.   I have George Gibson's family history in a book I was given by one of his relatives. I have to put three post up to pm you so will do that soon.

Regards

Robynhood 

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 13 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Im aware this thread is nearly 12 months old but hopefully someone might pick up on it.

My husband is a great grandson to George Gibson and Eliza Downs and i cannot find anything on George prior to his marriage neither.

Im more than happy to swap information and help each other out to see if we can find anything to be able to go back further than his marriage.

Offline jfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 January 15 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am a great, great, great granddaughter of George Gibson and Eliza Downes.  I am also at a loss for information prior to his marriage and would appreciate any information that may be useful.  I have recently compiled extensive research on George, Eliza and Eliza's parents William and Mary which I am happy to share. Thank you in anticipation for your help and communication.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 January 15 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi jfs,

I am no further with George than before  :( I have heaps of thoughts tho  :o One been was his name really "George Gibson" or was it a alias and parents names of William and Susannah were made up. Another thought was that maybe he was a convict and had hidden his past with untruths of his arrival etc. I also find it strange that no one else but us in Australia are researching this family history, does that mean he had no siblings etc, one would think that someone else would be searching if there were others in the family. Personally i feel there is something suss or at the very least he was hiding something and gave false information. It's like he didnt exist before his marriage.
Im more than happy to correspond with you and see if we can find something to work with. You have to post 3 times before the private message system is available to you for us to swap contact details if you wish. My computer is playing up at the moment so if i dont respond for a day or so it just means my computer is having a moment but i will definitely log in when i can.

Offline jfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 January 15 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yes I have a few theories myself but I wonder if we will ever know for sure?  The good thing about family history is that if you leave it and come back to it there are always more databases posted on the internet to access!

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 January 15 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I keep wondering if im over looking that one crucial bit of info when i re read through what i have. I have George's land selection records, will, marriage cert etc hoping one of them would give something up but they didnt. A couple of articles in Trove but they dont help none neither. I keep coming back to the thought that George Gibson wasnt his real name.

Offline jfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 January 15 04:50 GMT (UK) »
This is my third post so should be able to pm after this.  I have also searched under Gipson and Gybson...nothing.  A few ideas and possibilities but none that I can prove or back up in any way.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 15 19:36 GMT (UK) »
PM sent jfs  :)