Author Topic: Birth and Baptism Priscilla Elizabeth Chapman b. Jersey  (Read 5496 times)

Offline GregoryinSeoul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth and Baptism Priscilla Elizabeth Chapman b. Jersey
« on: Sunday 11 March 12 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am searching for a baptism or record of birth for Priscilla Elizabeth Chapman b abt 1845  Jersey, Channel Islands according to several census. She is the daughter of Rev. Samuel Chapman Primitive Methodist Preacher and Sarah Wilkinson. Her father Rev Samuel Chapman was there as an itinerant Methodist Preacher when she was born. Any help for this look up would be much appreciated.

1851 England census b. 1845 Jersey
1871 England census b. 1845 Changh Saralands Alderney Channel Islands
1881 England census b. 1845 Jersey
1891 England census b. 1845 Jersey
1901 England census b. 1845 Jersey

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Priscilla Elizabeth Chapman b. Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 12 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I can tell you that there is an entry in the index for St Helier Births, 14th Nov 1844 to 24th Dec 1845, vol 3, page 43 for Priscilla Elizabeth Chapman.

I can't look at the certificate today as it's too late but will try later in the week.

Stewart

Offline GregoryinSeoul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and Baptism Priscilla Elizabeth Chapman b. Jersey
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 03:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm very excited about your find. I look forward to learning more when you take a look at the certificate. I appreciate your kindness and time. :)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Well the news is that PEC was born 6th Apr 1845. SC was the father and SW the mother, so we have the correct birth. SC's occupation was a "Minister de L'Evanfila" and he was present at the birth in Aquila Road, which is in St. Helier.

Stewart

Offline GregoryinSeoul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 02:43 GMT (UK) »
This is wonderful.  Thanks a million Stewart. Is there any way to get a copy of the record please?  I wonder if there is a baptism  for Priscilla Elizabeth Chapman at the Aquila Road, Primitive Methodist Chapel?  I realize the record would no longer be at the Chapel. If so, Is there a way I could view it online?

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You get certificates from:

Office of the Superintendent Registrar
10 Royal Square
St. Helier
Jersey
JE2 4WA

However, remember they cost £20 and they are hand-written copies.

I don't recall seeing a baptism register for Aquilla Road but I will check.

Stewart

Offline GregoryinSeoul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 12 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the address on how to get a certificate from St. Helier, Jersey. Are they handwritten copies of the original handwritten documents? By that I mean is it a copy of the original document?  Also, thank you for looking into a baptism register for The Primitive Methodist Chapel at Aquila Road, St. Helier, Jersey.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Archive have recently opened a whole file on Aquila Road Methodist Church which gives a detailed history.  It also includes baptism records but sadly there are no Chapmans.

I checked all the "Methodist" records and found nothing I'm afraid.

The birth is noted in the Chronique de Jersiaise.

The records show that Samuel Chapman was there from 1840 to 1850 when it was called the Primitive Methodist Church. He is also mentioned on the following committees:

1844 - Member -  Jersey Mission
1844 - President - Jersey Mission
1844 - President - Leaders
1845 - President - Teachers

The certificates are hand written modern copies of the original certificate. They are written by the Assistant Registrar. Unless you feeling flush, I would save my money.

Stewart

Offline GregoryinSeoul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 12 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart.
Thank you for looking into Priscilla Elizabeth Chapman's baptism. It's odd that she wasn't baptized there. Samuel and Sarah's other children were all born and baptised at other places he worked while on the circuit preaching. :)

I was very excited to learn about the other info you found for Rev. Samuel Chapman and his dates in the ministry 1840-1850 and committee titles at the Aquila road Primitive Methodist Chapel. the start date 1840 and the end date of 1850 is perplexing  as William Chapman was born in Tadcaster, Lincs, 1843 and Samuel Chapman Jr. ( my great grandfather) was born in Pocklington, Yorkshire in 1848. He was born after Priscilla Elizabeth and was the last of seven children.  Each place of birth  of his issue coincides with places he was stationed as a preacher in the itinerancy..

I would be very interested in obtaining any  copies of memorandums,documents, sermons that hopefully have survived and that would be in his handwriting.  Is there someone who I could contact regarding the recently opened file of the Aquila Road Primitive Methodist Chapel?  Would you know who could help me please? I wonder if you would be interested in helping me with this? Of course this comes with a huge please. Rev. Samuel's Chapman's memorandums he kept of his labours,etc. and sermons were not found at the time his biography/obit was written-1867 in Winterton, Lincolnshire.