Author Topic: Hughes/Holohan/Rodgers - Charlie Dalton  (Read 9205 times)

Offline Happy Chappy :-)

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hughes/Holohan/Rodgers - Charlie Dalton
« on: Tuesday 06 March 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone;

Some friends are doing research and  contacted me looking for information on the following;

The story is about of Edwin Hughes, Brendan Holohan and Joseph Rogers from Drumcondra.

Red Cow Three-
==================
Edwin Hughes (17) Brendan Holohan (17) and Joseph Rogers-(16)- Murdered after arrest on October 7th 1922 in Clondalkin Dublin.  Hunted by Charlie Dalton’s CID squad arrested in Clonliffe Rd, Drumcondra for putting up republican posters and brought back to Wellington Barracks (now Griffith) By Sept 1922 140 anti treaty prisoners and  disturbing rumours of torture circulate. A young girl Jennie O’Toole had been pasting up the handbills but had repeatedly met with abuse so the boys had taken over to protect her. The boys left Edwin’s house at 10.30 on Friday and shortly after they were seen in a military lorry, it was the last time they were seen alive. On October 7th, 1922 the bodies of the three are found on waste ground now part of Red Cow then an obscure little known village on the Naas Rd. Each had been shot in the head.

Edwin Hughes (17), Member of Fianna Eireann of 107 Clonliffe Rd, Drumcondra. Body identified by his older brother Gerald Hughes.

Brendan Holohan (17), Member of Fianna Eireann of 49 St Patricks Rd, Drumcondra. Body identified by his father Michael Holohan.

Joseph Rogers (16), Member of Fianna Eireann of 2 Upper St, Brigids Rd, Drumcondra. Body identified by his older brother Michael Rogers. Youngest of the three.

Anyone any info? or is a descendant of the above persons?

Cheers
Happy Chappy

Offline 251 richmond road

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Civil War : Edwin Hughes/ Brendan Holohan/ Joseph Rodgers "Red Cow Three"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Happy, did you try the Brothers in Joeys school, they have a lot of rising etc information, on locals involved.

Wheatley, Corrigan, Brennan, Jones, Hampson, Levey, Marshall, Mc Bride, Behan, Boland,

Offline drummerboy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Civil War : Edwin Hughes/ Brendan Holohan/ Joseph Rodgers "Red Cow Three"
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 14:11 GMT (UK) »
The strange thing about this, is that they were all close neighbours in Drumcondra of Charles Dalton, who was then a high ranked officer the intelligence section of the Free State Army. He himself was only about 20-21 at the time and was thought to have been responsible for these murders. Mr Dalton seems to have been a very interesting person, who went on to enjoy a lot of wealth.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Guys any  information would be great !!

Offline 251 richmond road

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the hot topic Old IRA Brigade,I think they talk about this on page 31 or there abouts, also google Oriel House CID, I know it mentions Sean Cole and Leo Colley that were also murdered, at Yellow rd Whitehall, 

Wheatley, Corrigan, Brennan, Jones, Hampson, Levey, Marshall, Mc Bride, Behan, Boland,

Offline Gary Deering

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 17:42 GMT (UK) »
The strange thing about this, is that they were all close neighbours in Drumcondra of Charles Dalton, who was then a high ranked officer the intelligence section of the Free State Army. He himself was only about 20-21 at the time and was thought to have been responsible for these murders. Mr Dalton seems to have been a very interesting person, who went on to enjoy a lot of wealth.

Dalton`s wealth ? was your source of that information Myers article ? his weath came from the fact he was a Director in the Irish Sweep Stakes !as a lot of ex FS officers ended up there as they could not get work anywhere else ! its a pity Myers did not research his article a bit more. I have tried a couple of times to make contact with the Dalton Family as Charlie & my Great Uncle crossed paths a couple of times & including IRA operations & Army connections etc, but I have had no luck I think the amount of mud slung at him online has made the family not interested in talking about him.
Deering Dublin,Hickey Dublin,Wilson Dublin,Murphy Dublin/Carlow.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »

This is really important, especially about Dalton Family - please tell us any information :-)

Offline drummerboy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I didn't read Myers article. I read a few books about the Dublin units in the War of Independence and the Civil War. Unfortunately it was a book I picked up in the library and I can't recall the actual title at the moment. I'll check it out when I get the chance.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Charlie Dalton 1922 - Who Was He?
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 March 12 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Can anyone  fill me in the folklore behind this character -
Did he execute the youths Holohan/Hughes/Rogers;

Thanks
HC.

Moderator Note : Merged with previous thread on the same subject