Author Topic: Death Tyrone Civil Reg. Index 1890  (Read 11751 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Tyrone Civil Reg. Index 1890
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 May 12 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Francis and Catherine had another daughter, Susan, born in Carlton, Glasgow on 3 Feb 1864. If the couple were Catholic there is a good chance that there will be no marriage registration if they married in Ireland. Catholic Civil Registration started in 1864.
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 May 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there Rimond and Aghadowey,

I continue to go around in circles! Rimond, your Francis and mine are obviously not the same one, but I wonder whether they are related - Do you know anything about your Francis' father Michael?  year of birth, death?

As stated previously my "Francis McNab" would have been born about 1815 and he married Mary McHugh or McCue, and had children Jane, Mary, Alice,  Hugh (my ggrandfather), Margaret and Patrick - all born in Ireland, between about 1836 and 1854.  The family then moved to Glasgow at the beginning of 1864.  

A  Michael McNab (?brother or cousin to my Francis) appears as a visitor to their household in Glasgow census of 1871 and this Michael is said to be about 50 years old.  It appears this Michael had moved to Scotland earlier on - married a woman called Helen Mulvey (Edinburgh connection) - and we know of only one child from the marriage - another Jane McNab who later on migrated to USA.  When this Michael was admitted to the Poorhouse in 1884 he seemed to give his place of birth as "Tugally" Co. Tyrone - this name not seeming to exist at all - and thought to be "Segully".

I have done a fair bit of searching - and Segully was a small place of about 200 inhabitants at that stage - .. so to summarise it all - you can't tell me that there isn't a strong connection somewhere with all these "McNabs" !!!  If only we could figure it out.!!!

Rimond, do you have any idea why your Francis and Catherine's first child was born in Glasgow in 1866?  then the family returned to Drumquin?

Have followed my Francis and Mary up till about 1873 when 4 of their adult children have died - and after the death of their eldest daughter Jane, Francis and Mary (and Jane's daughter Mary Kenney age 4) disappear completely from all Scottish records.  ??return to Ireland???

I become more convinced that the only way I will ever be able to clarify once and for all whether my McNabs are really part of the "Segully", "Longfield East" "McNab clan" is to be able to pay a visit there, and gain access to all and any original records available!!!!!  Not likely - as I too live in Australia!!  Would love to share any further info with you Rimond!
Cheers
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 May 12 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Francis and Catherine had another daughter, Susan, born in Carlton, Glasgow on 3 Feb 1864. If the couple were Catholic there is a good chance that there will be no marriage registration if they married in Ireland. Catholic Civil Registration started in 1864.

Did another search on LDS site without Catherine's maiden name and found the birth record for Susan listed above (sometimes search will pick up variations in names and sometimes not)- Susan's mother listed as Catherine Farnin.

So, in 1864 and 1866 they were in Scotland but in Tyrone 1870.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rimond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 May 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
"Jane Mcnab born 31 Jan.1866 Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanarsk[shire], Scotland. Scottish birth certificates contain far more details than Irish ones and Jane's should list date and place of parents' marriage (may just say Omagh but there's a chance it will be more exact). See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see about getting credits to view the certificate."

Many many thanks Aghadowey and Kingerswell and Maggs for your welcome and your suggestions and information. I now have the certificates for the births of Susan and Jane McNab which confirm that Francis and Catherine McNab were married on 25 Nov 1862 or 1863 (year differs between the two certificates) in Drumquin, Tyrone. Sadly there is a record of death for Susan at Springburn, Lanark in 1864.

I cannot find any record of the birth of their fourth child Mary A McNab born in 1873, or the record of the McNab-Farnan marriage. The spelling of the McNab varies - the earlier births were registered as McNab (includes the first NZ birth) and the remaining four births are McNabb.

I have the death certificates for both Francis (born abt 1841 d NZ 1928) and his wife Catherine (born abt d NZ 1922). Francis was the son of Michael McNab(b) and Jane McNab(b) (nee Mullins). Catherine was the daughter of Patrick Farnan and Catherine Farnan (nee Percy). Birthplace for both Francis and Catherine was stated as County Tyrone, but I found a 19 year old Francis D McNab as a boarder in Glasgow in the 1861 Census. His birthplace was Campeltown Argyleshire. Unfortunately as his birth was prior to 1855 I have had no luck searching on Scotlands People so can't rule him in or out.

Kingkerswell - they were Catholic. It is interesting that they lived in Glasgow as newlyweds, returned to Tyrone and then emigrated. I wonder how long this McNab family were established in Ireland as they seem to have had the facility to move between Ireland and Scotland. I thought also that it was rare for the Scots-Irish to convert to Catholicism.

This is a very interesting journey that I set out on just a couple of months ago. My family understood that our grandfather John James (Jack) McNabb had Scottish heritage, not Irish. Curiouser and curiouser.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Here I am nearly 3 years after my original posting - and there is nothing like persistence, cos I am still looking for the eventual fate of my Francis McNab and his wife Mary McHugh (McCue)!!!  I keep returning to this brickwall.  Have managed to find a wealth of information about their offspring after they all moved from Co. Tyrone to Glasgow in 1864 - but the fate of the parents eludes me still.

I have however found the "original' info for deaths in Omagh district of a Francis McNabb, in 1890., and for what looks like his wife Mary McNabb in 1885.  Mary's cert. states her death as 14 Oct. 1885, at  "Mullinatormy"?? - Married, 78 years old, Labourer's wife, cause "Old age, no medical attendant".  Informant was Francis McNabb, husband, (his mark) present at death "Mullinatornmy"??

Then death of Francis McNabb again in Omagh district, 21 June 1890, Workhouse Omagh.  Francis McNabb from "Mullagharn", widower, age 74, labourer, cause of death "Old Age" and informant Joseph Rodger, occupier Workhouse Omagh.

Oh how tantalising - these certs confirm nothing (why no maiden or parents names?) - but I certainly can't discount them.  Certain things seem right - ages are relevant to the vague birth years we know of - and in Glasgow census, Mary was in fact older than Francis.  Our Francis was a "Labourer" ...  Neither death entry indicates that they have family, which tallies with our Francis and Mary as  5 of their 6 adult children in Glasgow were dead by 1884, ( reason they could have returned to Ireland?).    If this couple in fact lived in Mullagharn (or Mullinatormy??) - this seems relatively close to Segully, Drumquin area where we think ours came from.

I have little faith of obtaining any Omagh Poor House records for this Francis - appears there are no "admission" records left for the period. (wasted 25 dollars recently looking for possible records Omagh records for 1870.. - non existent).

Any ideas anyone?  re this Mullagharn?? Or anything other ideas on where else to look?  I might take years more to get all the pieces of the puzzle - but who knows??
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Mullagharn is a townland in the parish of Drumragh.

Mullanatoomog is also a townland in the same parish.

A possibility at least.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Are they death Certs or Omagh Poor House records ??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

Thanks for the replies.  The death entries I have are from PRONI / or is it GRONI - I keep getting confused between them .. it is the one which sends you on to NIDirect...  It would seem from their website that the Omagh Poor house records are limited... for the period I want, there is only "Admin" sort of records available, whereas the OUtpatient relief/admission, discharges etc. relate only to 1922 - 1948 - therefore I doubt that I will be able to find Francis Poor House details?  Unless they are actually available at PRONI - but not online?   I find their website to be a bit difficult.

Re the townlands - again, I get confused with these Irish names... Will attach a snippet of Mary's certificate - see what you might think of the Mullinatoomog or mullinatormy? 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I think that the name of the townland is MULLANATOOMOG which is in Omagh district to the NW of Omagh town..

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim