Author Topic: Who is General Wedd? *COMPLETED*  (Read 1613 times)

Offline denisofessex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who is General Wedd? *COMPLETED*
« on: Tuesday 13 March 12 15:15 GMT (UK) »
My mother's maiden name is Wedd which made that surname one of my prime areas or research. Many years ago I came across a document at Kew R.O. with the following information.........

Message to the Treasury Office, London
MacKenzie to Townshend  1714 Dec 3 St Petersburg
     On the 30 Nov the Czar gave to General Wedd and later to officers and soldiers of the First Regiment of Guards, the medals of the Patron Saint St. Andrew.

Over the years I've tried a number of avenues incl Army Museum and British Library to get more on this General Wedd, to no avail. I dont even have his Christian name. I would have thought someone with the rank of general would get a mention somewhere.  Hoping for ideas. Thank you

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Who is General Wedd?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if it could be General George Wade? Time wise fits in but don't know if he was anything to do with St Petersburg or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wade
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline denisofessex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestion, so far the only reply.
I'll follow this up, but I would be very much disappointed if one of my ancestors, who appeared very interesting, turns out to be just a missspelling! Never mind cant all have famous ancestors!
Best wishes.

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 15:32 GMT (UK) »
From other letters in the same collection at the National Archives (SP91/8)
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/browser.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=12477&POSCATLN=6&POSCATID=4050
it's clear that the Guards regiment in question is the Russian 1st (Preobrazhensky) Lifeguard Regiment.

"General Wedd" is Adam Adamovich Wade (1667-1720, surname spelt Вейд or Вейде in Russian), son of an emigre (?Scottish) colonel in Russian service.
In the Great Northern War 1700-21, Wade (who had started his military career in the Preobrazhensky Regiment) was a General of Infantry and commanded a division at the siege of Narva, and in the campaigns of 1711 and 1714-16. He was also a Rear Admiral of the Russian navy and distinguished himself at the Battle of Gangut in August 1714, where he commanded the ship that was carrying the Tsar himself (Peter the Great). This medal was probably a reward for not getting the Tsar killed :)

Adrian

EDIT: JUst found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Veyde
Veyde is just another way of transliterating Вейде back from Russian.

Offline denisofessex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 March 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the detailed information and the effort you must have put in. Very much appreciated.
Looks like that I can "put this one to bed". No general in my family then, holding back the tears. lol
Best wishes