Author Topic: Where and when was this photo taken?  (Read 15124 times)

Offline B.E.

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where and when was this photo taken?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 16 March 12 14:20 GMT (UK) »
A book about Police on plodit.com? You couldn't make it up!

The copper on the photo looks to me to have pretty much the same uniform as the one on the website.

I think brianz is right about the writing on the wall - odd though that it should be so indistinct. Some sort of weatherworn chiselling, maybe? The "Royal" bit seems to appear rather more by instinct than close analysis; by the same token, I'm half-seeing the lower word beginning with 'B', but I certainly wouldn't swear on it. It doesn't look much like a "Royal Bank" - or a royal anything for that matter!

The quest continues!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 March 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi BE

My nearest connection with Dorset is that some of my in-law ancestors came from there and my cousin once lived there  :-X  However, what I've been doing in my spare minutes is to take a stroll around the the three places you mentioned -Beaminster, Loders and Shipton Gorge -  on Google maps Street view. I think that Beaminster looks the most promising - I couldn't get up one of the streets that seemed the best match. I wonder if Francis Frith might have some photos too.

Also, I'd suggest that it was possibly the Coronation of Edward VII - August 1902.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 16 March 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
The policeman seems to have some sort of emblem on his lower sleeve ....... can this be enhanced somehow?
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline B.E.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 March 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
gnu, I live in Beaminster, and I'm still unsure!  :-\

The attached photo, taken during Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 1897 and looking down the hill in the opposite direction (so the police station would be on the right) suggests that the current buildings housing the police station were already in place by that time. And although the road narrows, I don't think it's narrow enough to be the site of the original photo.

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 17 March 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
BE,
The Staples part of my family were from not far away, some were born in and around Beaminster, (though my immediate relatives had been in South Wales for 10 years in 1897) so I love that photo. Thanks for sharing it.
I tried being normal once, it was the worst 5 minutes of my life!
Chris

Offline B.E.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 17 March 12 19:06 GMT (UK) »
chrish,
There's actually a Staple(s) involved in the story behind the original photograph: Jane STAPLE who married James Cox GALE in 1850.

That said, virtually very other family around these parts (Beaminster, Stoke Abbott, Netherbury, Broadwindsor) was once a Staple(s)!!

Which strand is yours?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 18 March 12 14:22 GMT (UK) »
A further thought (Heaven's that's 2!!!) Had the decorations started to be taken down which could account for the differences i.e. no writing in the banner. A further point, prior to 1948 there were very many police forces, and some quite small towns had their own police force. Was the officer in the strange helmet drafted in for crowd control from say Portland?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline B.E.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 18 March 12 16:59 GMT (UK) »
RedRoger,
Thanks for your further thoughts...
#1. Not sure why they'd be taking piccies after the event.
#2. Beaminster had its own policemen - Superintendent FREEMAN and Constable JAMES were recorded on the 1891 census as being in residence at the Police Station. I can't imagine crowd control problems in Beaminster - ever! But then we don't actually know where the piccie was taken. Dorset County Police Force appears to have been formed in 1855.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 March 12 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I've just done a quick google looking for the helmet. I found Police History Society. Thoiugh they have pictures of many different helmets, this was not amongst the collection, but a copy of the picture to them might elict the information.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)