Author Topic: army barracks in cork  (Read 9861 times)

Offline rita

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: army barracks in cork
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 January 08 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Christopher my grandfather was stationed at Victoria Barrack Cork in 1909 and he was at Elizabeth Fort in 1913 he was in the British Army
Rita

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline heslop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Heslop Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. Hope to visit Cork this year and this museum will be a point of call - may find something on my grandfather.. Ron H.
Heslops from N.Yorks. Co.Durham. Northumberland.    Briddicks from Co. Durham. Cleverley / Mitchell from E.Sussex. Duggans from Cork. McSorleys from 'Derry.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline corpachlocheil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 April 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
How bizaare!  I am currently transcribing some letters sent by a soldier in the 11th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment and couldnt understand why he was putting an address in Ireland.

Ive got Birr, Kings County and Millingar.  Are any of these close?  There is also Moore Park, Kilworth, County Cork.

You may want to visit http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums and ask on there.  They are a mind of information for things like this...

Flipster

Offline corpachlocheil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 April 12 10:54 BST (UK) »
 I was very excited to see the postings about the Victoria Barracks,particularly the reference to ASC.
I have lost my Great Grandfather.The only information I have is photograph taken in Belfast in a well worn Major's uniform in circa 1914.James Fisher was a soldier certainly and I suspect a long service one.My only real lead is that my Grandmother-his daughter- was born in Cork in 1883.The 3 strands seem to tie up.
The ASC stationed at Victoria Barracks.
My grandmothers birth place.
The obvious involvement of my Great Grandfather.
I really need confirmation that the ASC were stationed in Cork in 1883?
Did they return there in 1902 at the end of the Boer War?
Many thanks for any help.