Author Topic: Cherrymount and Tullykinally near Lurgan?  (Read 20423 times)

Offline Malachy51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cherrymount and Tullykinally near Lurgan?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Todd

Just came across this post. You mentioned Donegreagh. My mother’s family had a farm in that area around the 1790s. You said you had a list of freeholders for this area. I was wondering if you could share this with me.  It would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Siobhan

Offline Coill mo cholm Óg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 June 22 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Siobhan,  I heard of you through Jim Clarke. Am a cousin of some degree to you.  Have just joined rootschat. And Hello Todd - a previous convo re Kilmore House, on Kilmore Rd, Lurgan, built by George Langtry, is of interest as there was a mention of possible photographs which the present owners would be delighted to see.

Offline MRCORDNER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cordner Palace in Northern Ireland
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 July 22 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I wanted to know if anybody knew of anywhere in Northern Ireland that was formerly known as the Cordner Palace. I have found information that it is in Northern Ireland, but I have no idea where. Any information is helpful.
Thanks!
-Matthew

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 July 22 07:21 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Here is the story I found about our Cordner family called "THE CORDNER PALACE"
In Lurgen County, north of Belfast, Ireland which is a part of Scotland, called North Scotland, there was standing a Palace which belonged to the Cordners.The last name that I can ascertain who lived there was a William Corner, and so far as I know his descendents still live there.This Palace was still standing during World War II, in 1945, but the Government of Great Britain had taken it and turned it into an apartment house and taken the beaufiful and spacious lawns and gardens and turned them into truck farms.

::)  ::)

https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/n/e/l/Elizabeth-A-Nelson/BOOK-0001/0003-0002.html

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 July 22 10:48 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Here is the story I found about our Cordner family called "THE CORDNER PALACE"
In Lurgen County, north of Belfast, Ireland which is a part of Scotland, called North Scotland, there was standing a Palace which belonged to the Cordners.The last name that I can ascertain who lived there was a William Corner, and so far as I know his descendents still live there.This Palace was still standing during World War II, in 1945, but the Government of Great Britain had taken it and turned it into an apartment house and taken the beaufiful and spacious lawns and gardens and turned them into truck farms.

::)  ::)

https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/n/e/l/Elizabeth-A-Nelson/BOOK-0001/0003-0002.html

I honestly don't know when I've laughed so hard at a 'family tree' and it gets better if you read further!

MARY MAGDELENE CORDNER, b. January 01, 1828, Armagh, Montiaghs, Derryinner, Ireland; d. November 29, 1917, at home of dau. Margaret Nelson Kay, 1926 Estrella, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
Irish place names are usually written as townland + civil parish + country. Not only has author reversed it all but the townland is Derryinver not Derryinner (which I believe is a place in Co. Galway). Later the write-up goes on to say that Mary was christened in 1832 in Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland daughter of a James Cordner. Strange that a child born to John Cordner in Armagh, Ireland should have been christened in the northeast of Scotland 4 years later with a different father (and a possible different mother listed somewhere there also).

Going back to the supposed 'Cordner Palace' mention quoted above- Lurgan (not Lurgen) is south of Belfast not north, Ireland is not part of Scotland.

According to this page the lineage can be traced back to a John Cordner born Cordner Palace in Gallowey, Scotland died Cordner Palace in Lurgan, Co. Armagh, Ireland.
https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/n/e/l/Elizabeth-A-Nelson/BOOK-0001/0003-0001.html

::)  ::)  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 July 22 15:01 BST (UK) »
aghadowey
I see that page is entitled
'Corner fraternity in Edinborough Scotland'
I chuckled on finding there are entries https://wikidiff.com/edinborough/edinburgh and on Quora
"What is the difference between Edinburgh and Edinborough?
The former is the Capital of Scotland, the latter is a completely made-up word."

Then debate the correct local pronunciation Eh-din-burr-ruh or sometimes Eh-din-bra or Edin-bruh or Embra if from Glasgow...concluding
"The non-antiquated Scots word burgh is pronounced burruh, and so Edinburgh is pronounced Edinburruh and applies to all Scottish place names with the ending.
The similar English word borough tends to be pronounced burra by the English, but with some variety in the final vowel sound depending on the speaker’s regional accent."
Peterhead in Aberdonian is of course Peterheid. https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterheid

Matthew the size of the property in both Ireland and Scotland have perhaps got embellished over time & memory between 1780 & J. G. Cordner's recollections 1936 in Lincoln, Nebr. Google produces no results I can find in either place. The 'Palace' around Lurgan is Brownlow House of the Brownlow family from 1610's. They sold it 1893 due to a change in fortunes. During WW1 was the HQ of the Royal Irish Rifles, used WW2 as an American HQ & base. https://www.belfastentries.com/places/brownlow-hq-ww2/

Offline MRCORDNER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 July 22 19:34 BST (UK) »
Okay, thanks you so much!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 July 22 20:39 BST (UK) »
Okay, thanks you so much!

Please let us know if there's anything we can help you with in researching the Cordners- there is likely to be some reliable resources here in Northern Ireland  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Malachy51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 July 22 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi “Coill mo Cholm Óg”

Not sure how to use this site; only my second time on here as I got a notification today. I know my maternal family had a farm known as Donegreagh around Cherrymount in the late 1700s. They were Casey Family. How would we be related?  Be really interested to find this out.