Author Topic: Cherrymount and Tullykinally near Lurgan?  (Read 20421 times)

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cherrymount and Tullykinally near Lurgan?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 March 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Todd,

Glad to have been of some help, hope my website also helped, www.lurgan-ancestry.co.uk

Been working at it for over a year and still have so much information to upload, it will take another year to get up-to-date and am still gathering as much stuff as I can.

The Linen Hall Library in Belfast is a great source of info, as are the Public Library's in Armagh. All the best and nice to help someone who's ancestors came from Lurgan.

Andy.
lurgan-ancestry.co.uk, Lurgan and the McElroy family from Lurgan.

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Todd

I wonder if in your research of your Hilary line (...his wife (Ann HELAY/HILARY)), if you have come accross a marriage with a female Hillary and a male Douglas?
My Douglas line comes from the Lurgan area (some of the family settling in Kinnego, which is next door to Clanrolla). The name 'Hillary" is a name that carried forward for a few generations, as the first name of boys. I have a theory that there was a marraige early 1700's (or late 16oo's) that would have resulted in the name given to the boys (there was  a Hillary Douglas, for instance, that was a freeholder in Kinnego).

In 1726, there is a William Douglas, listed as a weaver, living in Clanroll, 10 years later he is in Lisacorran. In Clanrolla, there is a Henry Hillary, farmer, in Clanrolla (1735).

(Thank you, Andy, for everything that you have shared on your site)

Jenni

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 04:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenni

I'm afraid I have no other details of the Helay/Hillery/Hillary line other than the marriage into the Langtry's. 

We have the same thing happening in our line several sons/grandsons/g grandsons with Hillary as either a first of middle name - all went to the US, Virginia mostly.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Todd

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
Not  problem, and Thanks for getting back to me. It is good to know, though, that you also have Hillary's in your family because of that marriage .... helps me feel like I am on the right track :o)

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 00:40 BST (UK) »
IHi again

I remembered I had some old notes on the Helay's, and dug them out :-
Ann Helay was the dau of Henry Helay and Catherine Thompson.  The Helay family reportedly went from England to Ulster in Cromwells time (as did our family) .  Their family lived at Helays mount (also sometimes called Langtry's mount) on the shores of Lough Neagh - Im afraid I dont know where specifically.  The Helays advanced the Langtry's money to get into the shipping business in the early 1800's.

Ann Helay[Langtry] died 20/4/1839 at Richill, Armagh.
Also of note is that her first son Henry Langtry (b1768) is recorded as being born at "Hillarysbay"...but I have not been able to find this. The other children are born in Clanroll(Klinrowl)...I'm guessing its between Lough Neagh and Lurgan/Richill/Canroll

Let me know if you ake any progress.

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 June 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Todd,

I have come across some photos of Cherrymount House, Lurgan and Kilmore House, Kilmore Road also Lurgan.

It states that both houses were built by the Langtry family in the 1800's.

The houses are described in detail and owners listed also.

I will Email these to you. Think they will be of interest to you.

Regards,
Andy.

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 August 12 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Todd ... me again

Thought I would touch base with you. I have checked with the Quakers records at the Friends library, and they have no record of a Hillary / Douglas marriage (I had hoped to find it with them as the Hillary's were Quaker).

BUT .... looking at the Griffiths and freeholder records, my x4 great grandfather's brother, Moses Douglas, has a George Langtry listed as a life in the freeholders listings! Do you think that is a connection? Do you have a George Langtry? Hummm .... perhaps this is where the Hillary names comes in  :o/
This was for a farm in Kinnego, (Kinnego is next to Clanrolla), that stayed in the Douglas family until Moses's nephew bequeathed it and it was sold (early 1900's).

Jenni

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 August 12 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenni,

I have been in touch with Todd and sent him photos of Cherrymount House and Kilmore House, built by his ancestors, will send them to you also. George Langtry is mentioned in them.

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 August 12 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Andy

Thank you! Would love to see what you have, not sure if it leads me in the wrong direction, but who knows.  Do you need my email address?