Author Topic: Cherrymount and Tullykinally near Lurgan?  (Read 20421 times)

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cherrymount and Tullykinally near Lurgan?
« on: Thursday 15 March 12 12:35 GMT (UK) »
HI

I'm trying to find where a place called "Cherrymount"  and "Tullykinally" is.  It appears in parish registers for a number of my Langtry forebears, but I've been unable to find it on any map (with multiple spelling variations looked for).

I had concluded that perhaps "Cherrymount" was a house name, but have noticed that there is now a Cherrymount estate called Cherrymount Hill on the Cornakinnegar Road near Lurgan, which would fit, as the family had lands in Cornakinnegar at the same time.  Any thoughts?

Also, I have a list of Freeholders in 1710 and one of my ancestros had land at Tullykinally or Tollykinally, along with parcels at Donegreagh and Carrickenegaire(Cornikinnegar).  I have found the latter two, but am stumped by "Tullykinally"

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Todd Langtry

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cherrymount and Tullykinally near Lurgan?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Todd,

Tullykinally is an old spelling for the townland of Tullyronnelly in the parish of Shankill, division of Cornakinnegar. It has also been called Tolliconnally.

To view the townland meaning click on the following link,

http://lurgan-ancestry.co.uk/index.php/irish-land-divisions/parishs-of-shankill/

I have listed the Freeholder records for 1813, and there is a William Langtree, from Cornikinigan listed, this can be viewed by click on the following,

http://lurgan-ancestry.co.uk/index.php/freeholder-return-of-oneilland-east-for-1813-1832/registered-freeholders-in-oneilland-east-for-1813/

If you want directions on how to view Cherrymount from an old Lurgan map, get in touch. It was a farm / house as you thought.

Good Luck,

Andy.
lurgan-ancestry.co.uk, Lurgan and the McElroy family from Lurgan.

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cherrymount and Tullykinally near Lurgan- ADD BELLVUE/BELLVIEW?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 01:26 GMT (UK) »
WOW - thanks Andy that's great stuff!

I would love directions on how to find Cherrymount - - its eluded me on web-searches, google maps and at PRONI looking at old maps when I was there last year....I'm in awe of your ability to locate it!

For fear of asking too much, the other one that has stumped me is Bellview or Bellvue around the same era - late 1700's to mid 1800's.  Half the time it seems to be around Lurgan/Kilmore/Richill/Clanroll/Ballyleny and the other part of the time it seems possible its in Meath.  Again, having searched and searched I think it must be a house name.

The details I know are that John Langtry lived at Kilmore but moved to Bellview "on account of troubles with the honourable Mr Brownlow, later lord Lurgan".  I'm GUESSING the move occurred about the 1780's.  He died there in 1817 and his wife (Ann HELAY/HILARY) died there in 1839. His children were baptised as follows :-
1) 1768 Hillarysbay or Clanroll.
2) 1770 Kilmore/Clanroll (m 1808 Richill)
3) 1773 not known where Bap (m 1809 in VA, USA)
4) 1781 Clanroll,(baptised aged 4), m1796 I think in Lurgan
5) 1781 Clanroll (baptised age 1.5)
6) 1781 Clanroll, m Loughgall, d Kimore
7) 1784 Lurgan, d in Kilnaharvey/Mullalelish
8 ) 1787 Clanroll
9) 1789 Kilmore
10) 1791 Balyleny
11) 1792 unknown
12) 1793 Balyleny

My guess is that the family became quakers for a while (which may have been the source of the problem with Brownlow) perhaps around 1770, they then came back to COI in 1781 when they got three children baptised.  The fact that the children are baptised in Clanroll/Balyleny makes me think Bellvue/Bellview must be near there.  Alternatively they moved after 1793.

The MEATH idea comes from the fact that other members of the family (2nd cousins) were settling in Meath around 1790-1800, though I don't believe its a likely possibility.

I know the OGLE's, who were cousins at the time, had a property/land called Bellview south of Dublin at the time, but I'm virtually certain this is not the same property as no Langtry BDMs appear there, or nearby, at all.

Thanks again

Todd

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Todd,

The website to locate an old map of Lurgan is named PlaceNames NI and is located at the link,

http://www.placenamesni.org/

The following link will hopefully bring you to the historic map of Lurgan in 1850. You can view Cherrymount and also Bellevue House,

http://www.placenamesni.org/placenamesniviewer/map.phtml?me=305234,355901,311234,360901

You will need to select the Historic map of either 1830 or 1850 and click on the map twice to get the historic map. You can then pan around the Lurgan area and also zoom in and out.

Cherrymount is clearly marked as is Bellevue House.

Hope this goes in some way to help you get some info. on your family history,

Andy.

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 22:52 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic - thanks so much Andy.  I needed to tick the 1850 map layer which only becomes visible on very tight zoom -  I assume you must have a copy of the map as it took quite a while to find them.  I ended up finding three Bellview/Bellvue's (sigh) while looking for Cherrymount  - one well off to the east by Hillborough, and two by Richill - I'm punting on one of the latter two.  Luckily only found the one Cherrymount!

Thanks again.

Todd

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Todd,

You must have viewed the map of Lurgan without zooming in, but Cherrymount wasnt too far from Bellevue. Am from Lurgan and remember Bellevue House for years before it was demolished and a housing estate Belvedere Manor being built on the land. I also have seen a new housing development being built on the Cornakinnegar Road named Cherrymount !!!

The second link I sent was for the Lurgan area, did you use the zoom facility to 'zone in' in areas and pan around the town of Lurgan.

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Ah-ha!  Found it...dont know how I missed it the first time....that Bellevue (on th "L" of SHANKILL) is much more likely.

I did zoom in but started south-west of the town by Richill and scanned across then up....didnt think it would be quite so close to Lurgan as I thought I'd looked at old maps of Lurgan in PRONI and couldnt find it.

I was in Lurgan last October and wandered around the old Shankill graveyard - lovely spot, once you find the entrance!  Next time I come over I'll try and see Brownlow's house and Cherrymount.  Sad to hear Bellevue is no longer there.

Thanks again for all your help - and for pointing me at a new resource that will help me no-end.  I'm sure Ive been to that site a few times looking for townlands, but never realised the old map sat 'under' it.

Regards

Todd

Offline AndyMcElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 March 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Todd,

There is a book you may be interested in,

The linen houses of the Bann Valley: the story of their families By Kathleen Rankin

You can preview some of the pages on the following link,

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9CrlUHICHTIC&pg=PR16&dq=linen+industry+bann&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pYhrT8HDDobE8gPi47DdBg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=linen%20industry%20bann&f=false

Looks an interesting read. Samuel Bell resided at Bellvue in Lurgan who is mentioned in the book.

Andy.

Offline ToddLangtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 March 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Interesting - and thanks for bringing it to my attention.  The family were mostly Merchants, Farmers and Shoe Makers as far as I can tell.  I also know that we married with the Bells in the 1800's and there are some Langtry-Bell's still around today, so perhaps there is a link there!

I will keep an eye out for the book at any library's I visit (might try the Linen House Library next time I'm over!).
Thanks again.

Todd