Author Topic: Bell Coat of Arms - Eastrington, East Yorkshire  (Read 12322 times)

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bell Coat of Arms - Eastrington, East Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
The coat of arms with three bell is common in the Scottish borders mainly Dumfriesshire. The Bells are well known in the disputed lands around Canonbie, Middlebie etc.
You mentioned an Arthur Bell mid 1800s. My family tree has traditionally named the oldest son Arthur and we can go back to 1808 with this line but always on the Scottish side of the border.

Offline carol1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
I have in my possession a memorial book for a Mrs Smith who was the daughter of John Bell born Mary Ann on 5/10/1803 died 17/12/1891

John Bell was of Portington Hall she married Joseph Smith of Eastrington in April 1825

It is a lovely piece of family history - i dont know how I got it - it has her photo and signature in it.

If you are a relative would you be interested in it as it has no use to me but I do not want to just throw it away .

Your post here is over 2 years ago so I am hoping it is still a 'live' email 

Offline Daphne Jay Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Looks quite a bit like that of my family, from Thirsk (North Riding)

Offline carol1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi - do you think this is a bit of your family history then message
*if you think so

*Moderator comment: personal email address removed in accordance with RootsChat practice to avoid others spamming it or other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members need to make 2 or 3 posts in order to be able to access this system.  Thanks

Offline Daphne Jay Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Was responding to original query from John (re: Yorkshire)

Offline ARMcMB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Here is another coat of arms. It is likely that this is a related family - the three bells, and the ermine chevron or fess are in common - but suitably differenced.

Here we have what we want to find - an individual of some distinction who possesses or believes he possesses in the male line the exclusive right to this version of these arms.

Worth checking further. If you do not find in the records of the College of Arms, check those of the Lord Lyon for any arms granted in Scotland.

Differences of tincture, crest, etc, will probably be evidence of a related ar assumed-related family distinguishing itself by a difference.

Since nobody would wish to use arms in a firm to which he was not entitled by direct descent in the male line from the original holder. Indeed, in Scotland this would be an offence. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arms_of_Robert_Bell.JPG