Author Topic: Matthew Hill Sheehan  (Read 1539 times)

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Hill Sheehan
« on: Friday 16 March 12 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Drawing a bit of a blank with this and wonder if anyone can help.

Matthew Hill Sheehan born Maryport, Cumbria 1873, married Isabella Dores ? b1874/5 (don't know nationality)
but married before 1902.
5 daughters Isabella Jalvie Falconer b 1899, Margaret Hill b102, Natile b1905, Annie b1908, Kathleen b1911. These dates from passenger list returning from SA 1914 to Southampton. I cannot find English birth or marriage certificate.
Matthew did not travel with them but in 1915 set out for SA again. He spent his life there coming back to die in England in 1962. He was a fitter, and on death certificate foreman fitter. I have looked on church records in SA but drawn a blank.   Apparently although he stayed in SA he frequently came back to England to visit his family in Lancashire.

If anyone can help me fill in any gaps I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Hill Sheehan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I found an estate file for Matthew Hill Sheehan died 1962 in the Transvaal. Are you sure he died in the UK? Try this link. http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm200gi.

Then click on the RSA repository box, when it opens type in Sheehan Matthew and enter. A list of 2 documents will appear, just click on Result Summary. Cheers Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek
Thank you, this would appear to be my Matthew Hill, I have printed off the results summary, but can you give me a little lesson. From this how can I find any more info, ie a death in Transvaal. Is the easiest thing to contact them by email and see if I can get a transcription?

Thank you Frances

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
The Genealogical Society of South Africa has a "pay to use" service which will enable you to obtain pictures of documents held in the National Archives.

Go to http://www.eggsa.org and select Content --> On Line Shop --> order Archive documents.  Once you have selected the currency, select "Enter the Shop" and then select "Archive photos" (in yellow on the blue band) and follow the instructions.

Much quicker than trying to get the Archives to reply to your e-mail requests!!  Good luck Derek.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline frances13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I think I have managed to order the documents. Your help has been invaluable.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 12:18 BST (UK) »
Glad I could help Derek.