Author Topic: Boer War 1899-1902 / Findmypast? *COMPLETED*  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War 1899-1902 / Findmypast? *COMPLETED*
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 April 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
Glen,

Arthur George Staples was an Honourary Captain and served with the Department of Commissariat of Ordnance.

He was awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal and King's South Africa Medal, each with two clasps.

I cannot pinpoint his arrival in South Africa, but on 24 August 1901 he appears as an invalid being taken home onboard the Troopship Dilwara, which arrives in Southampton on 18 September 1901, but surprisingly I cannot find him in the Casualty Rolls.

Dilwara image: http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/troop_ships.htm

He retired in 1905 as you say - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/27831/pages/5909

I believe he was Deputy of his Department.

I'm sorry I can't tell you more, but I hope that helps.

Ian
Smith - Sileby + Coleorton, Leicestershire.
Chamberlain - Sileby, Leicestershire.
Heath - Coleorton, Thringstone + Coalville, Leicestershire.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 April 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to follow his career through the Army Lists?

It's frustrating that his service record isn't found yet. In that context I wonder, despite his recall for WW1, whether it's worth having a look in the WO25 and WO76 card indexes at Kew?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 April 12 03:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian.

Yes, I found the details of his trip home in 1901, in the London Times.

One of his daughters Evelyn May Staples was born in Kenilworth, South Africa in 1902 and then died in Kimberley, South Africa in 1903, so evidently Arthur returned at some point after September 1901.

Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 April 12 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

I have found mention of him through the Army Lists. Unfortunately, it doesn't mention him during his first few years with the Army (I know from marriage and children's birth/death records that he was stationed in Bermuda for some time). Unfortunately, there's also no mention of him during WWI, when he was called up at the age of 62! (I found this out from one of his son's school records - copies of letters, etc).

I think I tried WO25 and 76, but will double check. I'd give anything to find his service records! There should 45-50 years of service records!!

Kind regards,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith