Author Topic: Haslington burial 1772- Completed  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Elsby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haslington burial 1772- Completed
« on: Saturday 17 March 12 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out whether the James Welsby buried in 1772 was an infant or an old man. The familysearch website just lists him as a male. Does anyone know how I can find this out or does anyone visit Haslington and could maybe see if a grave exists?
Also does anyone know if there are any gaps on family search for baptisms in the 1760's? I've been trying to locate the baptism of my ancestor James Elsby for years without success. His death certificate says he should be born in 1763 but I'm now thinking his age could be wrong and he could possibly be the James Whelsby born in Haslington in 1771.

Thanks

Elsby
Elsby (Cheshire, Lancashire, Staffs and Scotland), Buffey (Staffs, Wales and Lancashire),
Bent (Leigh, Lancashire),
Marshall (Lancashire),
Battersby (Leigh, Lancashire),
McLuskey (Scotland),
Kempton (Scoltland),
Smallwood (Cheshire)
Sharratt (Lancashire)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Haslington burial 1772
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 12 18:31 GMT (UK) »
The Cheshire burial records for 1772 include the following entry :-

James Welsby of Crewe Farmer buried Sept 12th

If he's your ancestor then he's most definitely an adult.

Jim
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline Elsby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the speedy reply Jim.
That's the answer I was hoping for. I believe him to be the grandfather of the baby christened in the previous year.

Thanks again

Elsby
Elsby (Cheshire, Lancashire, Staffs and Scotland), Buffey (Staffs, Wales and Lancashire),
Marshall (Lancashire),
McLuskey (Scotland),
Kempton (Scoltland),
Smallwood (Cheshire)
Sharratt (Lancashire)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Also does anyone know if there are any gaps on family search for baptisms in the 1760's? I've been trying to locate the baptism of my ancestor James Elsby for years without success. His death certificate says he should be born in 1763 but I'm now thinking his age could be wrong and he could possibly be the James Whelsby born in Haslington in 1771.

A search of the Cheshire baptisms from 1755-1775 gives no James Elsby, no James Welsby and just the one James Whelsby that you mention. He was baptised in Haslington on 17 Mar 1771, the son of James Whelsby.

Jim
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Another search has thrown up a James Helsby baptised on 27 Jan 1761 in Stoke (or Stoak) near Chester. He was the son of Ebenezer and Martha Helsby. Could that be him?

Jim

Offline Elsby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I've looked into James Helsby previously; but he goes on to marry and have children in Stoke and so can't be my ancestor.
I believe Elsby to be derived from Helsby with the odd Welsby in there too!
The problem that I have with James Whelsby 1771 is that his birth year doesn't match with my ancestors age at death. Also I have the will of this James' father from 1816 but although it mentions other children it does not mention James. However if there isn't a death for James then it could be that they became estranged?
Marshall (Lancashire),
McLuskey (Scotland),
Kempton (Scoltland),
Smallwood (Cheshire)
Sharratt (Lancashire)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 12 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked out the RootsChat surname interest tables? There is one person interested in Elsby in the Wybunbury & Haslington areas so it might be worth PMing them. I can't see anyone interested in Helsby, Welsby or Whelsby in that area of Cheshire.

Jim

Offline Elsby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help Jim. I'll get in touch with the other rootschat member and swap notes.
Marshall (Lancashire),
McLuskey (Scotland),
Kempton (Scoltland),
Smallwood (Cheshire)
Sharratt (Lancashire)