Author Topic: The National Archives  (Read 19121 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: The National Archives
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 07:35 BST (UK) »
Yes David , all from ancestry.

They also have birth marriage and death stuff on there as well.

I can lookm up john henry rowsons birth on 1837online later for you as he is not on ancestrys list(it is imcomplete).

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline David Rowson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Kev,

This is really good of you.  Are you spending money.  If so, I need to send you a cheque.

I have registered with Ancestry.co.uk.

I think it will take a few days to learn my way around it.

Also, I will look at 1837online.

How would I go about finding out :

Where my Grandfather lived and with whom between the year of his birth ( 1891 ) and 1918,  the year of my Father's birth.

Would I be right in thinking that my Grandfather's marriage certificate would throw some light on it.  I  know my Grandmother's name & maiden name ?

Top man

David

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, David. Doesn't cost me anything , i am already subscribed to ancestry and have plenty of credits on 1837online.

JOHN ROWSON born SHREWSBURY SEPT 1864 6a 637.

I would be really careful with all the info you has had so far for a couple of reasons.

1) FIRST TIME I HAVE FOUND SOMEONE WHO HAS A MIDDLE NAME AND ITS NOT BEEN REGISTERED( NO HENRY)

2) NONE OF CENSUSES SAY HE IS JOHN HENRY EITHER

Could be a different one.

The marriage cert would help but you really need to find them in the 1901 census. I am still looking.

Kev.

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline David Rowson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Kev,

Advice please for a total novice:

Fact:  The Birth Certificate of :

Edward Percy Rowson born 21 / 04 /1891 , shows his father as John Henry Rowson, Carpenter.

Fairly sure supposition: John Henry Rowson came from Shrewsbury, but supposition only.

Logic suggests that John Henry Rowson must have been born prior to 1875.

If,  for example,  there are 10 John Rowson's pre 1875 , how do I work which one  is my ancestor.

Can I refer to your last message:

When you say it is the first time you have found someone who has a middle name, but it has not been registered, what exactly do you mean, sorry to be so thick, registered where ?

So sorry to be a drag, but I am now torn in two directions:

1 ) How do I positively conclude the correct John Rowson as my Great Grandfather

2 ) How do I work out where John Henry Rowson & his family were between 1891 and 1918 ( The year of my Father's birth )

You have been brilliant so far. Let me know if you support a charity ?

What is Soundtex ?

Thankyou very much

David

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi David, Hope you dont mind but i have posted a request for help with this in the england general board on this site. Maybe someone else can find them in 1901 census.

On 1837online it has every birth, death and marriage since 1837 listed . As far as i am aware this is the only complete listing. Therefore what you usually find is that if for example i had i charles henry snell in my family, when i look up his year and quarter of birth ie sept 1845. There would be a listing SNELL charles henry bristol 6a 57. So his name that was registered at birth includes his middle name. Also tells you where registered (Bristol) and the GRO reference number (6a 57) so that if i want the birth cert i can order it online by giving the reference it is only £7.

They can change a name after it has been registered but i think anothing birth certificate has to be issued and the end box (name entered after registration) changed.

If we can find Edward Percy in the 1901 census and he is with his parents JOhn and Louisa then you can conclude it is the correct ones, only way for sure.

The trouble with after 1901 is until 2011 the 1911 census cannot be accessed. Therefore marriage certs, birth certs etc are important. They may well be other methods that i dont know of. I have the same problem. My Nan was botn in 1910, she had apparently 8 brothers and sisters but i only know of 3 from 1901 census and two of them were born in a different county, i wont be able to find the others out until 2011!!!!

I will still be looking in 1901 for you, Can't for the life of me think where they might be.

Kev.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say.

SOUNDEX is what it sounds like . When you do an exact search on ancestry at the top right of the search box it says spelling. You can choose exact ie ROWSON will just find ROWSON or soundex which will find ROWSON and RAWSON RUSSON , similar sounding words basically.
Very useful as a lot of the census is wrongly transcribed onto the internet.

Kev.

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 19:42 BST (UK) »
I see Kev's request for help on this, I've looked for John Henry and family, but no luck yet.

The only 'Rowsons' I could find in Bethnel Green in 1901 had:
Head James b. 1863 in Bow.

Perhaps John & family fell into the same black hole as my rellies! - I'll have another go later, don't give up hope.

Regards
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 20:25 BST (UK) »
I presume this is your father.

EDWARD P. ROWSON registered JUNE 1918 mothers maiden name RYAN  born EDMONTON GRO reference 3a 869.

Just looking around at things!!

Kev.

Offline David Rowson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Kev,

That is indeed my Father:

I still can't grasp one point:

We know that Edward Percy Rowson 1891 was the son of John Henry  Rowson, who may or may not have come from Shrewsbury.

The bit I can't work out is how you make a definite connection. Let's ignore " Henry " and just use:

John Rowson

If there were 10, how do you make the connection.

I'm really sorry to be so thick, but I just can't grasp how, if I know that my:

Great Grandfather was: John Rowson

and , let's say, there are 10 John Rowsons, how do I know which one is mine ?