Author Topic: 3rd Reg-The Buffs?  (Read 708 times)

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
3rd Reg-The Buffs?
« on: Sunday 18 March 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chatters,
can anyone identify this uniform please? Its supposed to be the 3rd Regiment, he bought? into as an Ensign in 1813.
Then came to  Australia, in charge of Convicts about 1823.

Thanks in advance
Freckle :)
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.
Home page http://myrobertsons.tribalpages.com

Offline CMLong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Reg-The Buffs?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 November 21 00:36 GMT (UK) »
There are some illustrations of regimental uniforms in the book by Peter Stanley: The Remote Garrison, The British Army in Australia. ISBN 0-86417-091-2 which I was able to look at, at a local library. I will try and attach a bad photo that I took for my own research as I have an ancestor who is reported as serving in the Buffs as an NCO. I am a beginner amateur, you may wish to access the book yourself as it has a range of uniforms illustrated in it. It certainly does look similar.

Offline CMLong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Reg-The Buffs?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 November 21 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you are aware but under the Australian Joint Copying Project the Muster Books (Payroll) for the Buffs are available for viewing on the Australian Trove website. You have to scroll through but as the names of the soldiers being paid are in alphabetical order it is not difficult to find your ancestor. I just found mine in this series:
Details
Title
3rd Regiment: East Kent (Buffs)
Start Date
01 December 1822
End Date
31 December 1825
Physical Context
mfm PRO 416-6580-Records of the War Office (as filmed by the AJCP)/Fonds WO/Series WO 12/Subseries (Pieces 2118-9899)/Subseries (Pieces 2118-2119, 2166)/File 2118. AJCP Reel No: 3694-3695/3rd Regiment: East Kent (Buffs)