Author Topic: Mary Geraldine Douglass  (Read 18187 times)

Offline lois in Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Geraldine Douglass
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 22 March 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Re Esther death 1880 Kelso, dau of John Ormiston and Mary Marshall - our records indicated that she remarried James R Tait in 1866 after her husband Robert Douglass' death in Sunderland in 1860. I've attached a screenshot fyi.
I wonder if you could tell me - was her death in 1880 registered as surname 'Douglass'? I have looked on ScotlandsPeople and other places (surname Ormiston, Douglass, Tait/Tait).
Thank you
L

Image removed as it breaks the terms and conditions of Ancestry membership

Offline lois in Australia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 22 March 12 23:48 GMT (UK) »
AHA Checking further, this James R Tate already had a wife at C1861, so my snapshot is not correct. I must say I don't generally rely on the 'links'/clues... oops.
So the qu now is an easy one - The Esther who died in 1880 in Kelso, was it as surname Douglass?
Cheers
L
PS If I knew how to remove my last totally wrong post, I would.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 23 March 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I would have thought you might have downloaded her death cert to check. It was very easy to find.  My earlier posting:

Esther died in Kelso in 1880. Parents were John Ormiston(shoemaker) and Mary Marshall so not that side.

Her death cert shows her as the widow of Robert Douglas, baker journeyman. Her parents are shown as John Ormiston, shoemakeer and Mary m.s. Marshall. Both deceased. There is no mention of a Tate. She died at 7 Union Street, Kelso.

Her brother was the informant.

Have you looked for her in the 1871 under Douglas* or even Ormiston? (See next posting)

I'm also wondering if the 1834 marriage in London was correct. Do you have a marriage entry or, if not, what was the source of that information.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 23 March 12 09:19 GMT (UK) »
In 1871, she is living in Chapel Street, Selkirk with her daughter Euphemia

Esther Douglas, widow, 51, housekeeper, b. Kelso
Euphemia, dau, unm, 19, woollen millworker, b. England

I think there appears to have been some jumping  to conclusions from what I can see. 

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 23 March 12 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Lois

I think you should try to find an MI in for the 1841 James Douglas, baker, aged 80-84. He is the most probably father for James.

I've given the link previously

* http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=398
and
http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/BFHSGravestoneIndexSearch.asp

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 23 March 12 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I think that this might be James snr's burial entry:

Kelso 1848
James Douglas aged 87 years Died Kelso 7 February and was buried in Kelso Churchyard 9 February 1848 in Ground N694 of Plan N1

gnu

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 23 March 12 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks the Marriage of Robert Douglass and Esther Ormston is on the igi for 30th March 1864 at Soho Westminster, i also have the Marriage cert for her marriage to James Tait,

Regards
Allan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 23 March 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I also have the Marriage cert for her marriage to James Tait,

What does it say on this particular marriage certificate - place, names, ages and father's name, occupation.

However,  this is going further away from discovering the actual kinship relationship between Mary and James. That is why I suggested that you looked for the MIs.

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 23 March 12 12:20 GMT (UK) »

Euphemia Douglas, daughter of Robert and Esther, was with her mother in Selkirk in 1871 see:

In 1871, she is living in Chapel Street, Selkirk with her daughter Euphemia

Esther Douglas, widow, 51, housekeeper, b. Kelso
Euphemia, dau, unm, 19, woollen millworker, b. England

She married Walterr Sanderson in 1878 in Kelso, when her mother would still have been alive.

On the marriage cert, her address is given as Selkirk and her parents are given as Robert Douglas, baker (deceased) and Hester, m.s. Ormiston. Her occupation is woollen mill weaver.

No mention of Tait on Esther's death cert, her daughter's marriage cert or the 1871 census entry.

gnu