Author Topic: Mary Geraldine Douglass  (Read 18155 times)

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Geraldine Douglass
« Reply #63 on: Friday 23 March 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Esther Douglas age 48 Widow, married James Tait age 54 on 19th March 1866 in Register Office in Sunderland, her father was John Ormiston Shoemaker, (Dec'd)
Winesses mark of Ann Maddison and Margaret Donaldson. Either James Tate died before the 1871 Census or or didnt work out.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 23 March 12 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Well, Allan and Lois, I see that Allan has been looking for this family group on here (and other sites) since 2009 or before and no one has found any baptisms or anything to substantiate a link between Robert and James.  So, unless someone (like Maxwell Ancestry)has   local records or the Borders FHS can come up with something, I don't think you'll get much further.

As I said, only a small proportion of baptisms are recorded for a range of reasons. Yours are most likely in that category.  James Douglas, baker, aged 80-84 on the 1841 is the most likely parent for James. He was down as not born Roxburghshire which makes it needles and haystacks.

Douglas (variations) was a fairly common Border name and, with first names of Robert and James, it's far more difficult.

gnu

PS - I won't give all the links to other threads on this Forum but I'd ask Allan to put up these links if he asks for any more info on the Douglases. I not that Andrea (sillgen), one of our mods, did mention this a while ago on a Robson thread

Is this the same query already posted four times?
Duplicate posts do not help I'm afraid.

Andrea

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,548363.msg4018347.html#msg4018347

also

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,548363.msg4018715.html#msg4018715
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Allan Robson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 23 March 12 17:26 GMT (UK) »
The reason i repeated the thread is that there are new records released all the time and one day one of them might be my Query.

Thanks
Allan

Offline lois in Australia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 25 March 12 08:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, GNU. I had not purchased the Kelso MIs so yr info very much appreciated. I'll order the certificate and see where it takes us. My focus is James. Also, your info that he was 'not' born Roxburgh is also extremely helpful, as all the C1841 said was 'born Scotland'. I agree, though, that this is probably as far as we'll get with my James!
(Re Esther death 1880, the address is the same at which Mary Geraldine Douglass was living on her own in the 1881 census.)
Thanks again for all your help
Lois

Offline lois in Australia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 31 March 12 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
Website http://pvpfamilytree.tribalpages.com shows James Douglass, James Main Douglass, Jessie Mein and families, including Mary Geraldine Douglass - although the exact link is as yet uncertain.
Regards
Lois

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 14 September 18 01:42 BST (UK) »
not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but I am a descendant of the James Douglas (baker) living at Millwynd in Kelso in 1841 age 80, he died in 1848. So far I believe he had 4 daughters one of which was my 4xgreat grandmother.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline ADR68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 24 September 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Shevvy, I am the starter of this thread, do you know if your James had a Brother called Robert Douglass born in Kelso.

Thanks
Allan

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 01 October 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Shevvy, I am the starter of this thread, do you know if your James had a Brother called Robert Douglass born in Kelso.

Thanks
Allan

I don’t unfortunately. I only know James Douglas  is the father of my 4xgreat grandmother Janet Douglas as he is a witness for her marriage. I haven’t managed to trace them back any further, I have found a possible baptism for Janet in Earlston, which would then mean she had 3 sisters, but not 100 sure on that baptism for her.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 14 September 20 22:13 BST (UK) »
Just coming back to this thread, still working on James Douglas who is a Baker in the 1841 census. I am pretty sure he is the father of my Janet Douglas who married William Rutherford as he is a witness for her marriage.

I have found a will for a James Douglas who died in 1848 as a grocer, this could be James the baker, but only relative that appears to be mentioned is a George Douglas. It's hard to read.

So not sure if the death in 1848 is definitely him or a different James. I know my Janet ended up in Edinburgh and then Sunderland.

There is a possible marriage that could be James to Elizabeth Glasgow in 1787 in Kelso. But hard to know if it's definitley him. I can only find a set of twins baptism to them in 1803 in Stichill and Hume
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London