Author Topic: John McKenna/Margaret Wilson, Aghaloo  (Read 12618 times)

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenna/Margaret Wilson 1852 marriage at Minterburn Presbyterian Church
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 June 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
If Stuart and David are still researching the Wilsons of Mulnahorn, or looking for others of their ancestors' families in Co. Tyrone, this information may help. You can now access and view the ORIGINAL civil registrations of birth/marriage/death for Northern Ireland counties through the GRO in Belfast. You can pay for "credits" to use on the GRONI web site (GRO of Northern Ireland) from any country in the world with a credit card or PayPal. The registration indexes can be checked at no cost, then you pay to view more details or the original record. This on-line GRO service started in spring 2014 (April, I think).

Civil registrations of Protestant marriages began in 1845 (as we should all know), so the 1852 marriage at Minterburn Presbyterian Church would be registered with the GRO, as well as being entered in the church registers. Sometimes ministers used the government forms, so you may find the exact same details. Other times the minister used his own free-style to enter a marriage in his books, so details might vary from the civil marriage record. As Stuart wrote, Minterburn church records are on microfilm at PRONI, and you'd have to go there, or have another researcher go there for you, to view the microfilm. Minterburn records are fairly clear and easy to read on the film.

I'll be glad to share any information on the Wilsons of Mulnahorn. I have a bit on William Wilson of Mulnahorn and Isabella Hadden, who married in 1852 at Ballymagrane Presbyterian Church. William's father was Thomas Wilson.

Margaret Barnes in Australia is also researching Wilsons of Mulnahorn. You can find her posts on other message boards about the Wilsons and Hamiltons.

Regards,
Annie

Offline Stiubhard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenna/Margaret Wilson, Aghaloo
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 June 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie.  Thanks for that.  I had already accessed the online search facility when it was launched at GRONI. I have had to ration myself to 25 tokens every pay day or I would soon end up in trouble with the bank manager  :P  I see from Google maps that Mulnahorn Lane is not very far at all from Glendavagh Road.  Do you know what the connection is, if any, between the Mulahorn Wilsons and my John Wilson of Glendavagh?  From the looks of things my great great grandmother was one of three Wilson girls, the other two being Maria and Jane.  It's confusing though because there are lot of Wilsons in the Minterburn church records. 

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Wilson, daughter of John Wilson of Glendavagh, Aghaloo parish
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 June 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
Stuart,

Glad to help further if possible. You wrote: <<Do you know what the connection is, if any, between the Mulahorn Wilsons and my John Wilson of Glendavagh? From the looks of things my great great grandmother was one of three Wilson girls, the other two being Maria and Jane.  It's confusing though because there are lot of Wilsons in the Minterburn church records. >>

Does this mean that you found two other Wilson girls -- Maria and Jane -- to be daughters of a John Wilson of Glendavagh, possibly from their marriage records? Or did you identify them as sisters of Margaret Wilson (who married John McKenna in 1852) through other sources, documents or family stories? And are you a resident of Ireland that you can check back over Minterburn church records? Or, if living elsewhere, did you copy all the pertinent Wilson entries when you were in Ireland? If so, I'll be glad to help you sort out the families by analyzing the Wilsons in my research notes with the Minterburn families' births/baptisms and marriages. There were Wilsons of the Dyan (have you seen their extensive family chart?) and there were related Wilsons at Glenkeen.

Glendavagh is a very ancient townland, and I've found deeds and leases back to the 1760s-1770s there on my Haddens and related families. The oldest mention of it in the Registry of Deeds seems to be about 1708. Then we come forward about 50 years and I found that on January 21st, 1767, John Marshall of Mullaghmassagh granted to Archibald HADDEN part of Glendavagh which "said John Marshall held by a lease renewable forever" from Henry Marshall, to hold subject to redemption on payment of £100. On October 22nd, 1783, Joseph Marshall of Mullaghmassagh devised to John WILSON part of Glendavagh for 31 years at £14 sterling.

So my Haddens and possibly your Wilsons were neighbors at Glendavagh.

Glendavagh can be found under various phonetic spellings and interpretations in old records, including these:

Clondaw=ghy - 1609
    Clonedaughie (?)
    Clandaghy (?) - abt 1655
    Clundavagh (?) - 1664
    Clondaugh - 1666
    Glendavogh, Glendavagh, Glendavogh, Clondavagh - abt 1691 in Aghaloo parish vestry books.

I'm very interested in the townland and its families. Would you like to write me personally and we'll go over further records?

Regards,
Annie

Offline Stiubhard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 August 14 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie. It took me a while to find the notes I had made on my last visit to the PRONI. I went through the Minterburn church records.  I didn't find my great great grandmother, Margaret Wilson, but that didn't surpise me as I know the old tradition was often that the eldest child was baptised in the mother's church.  I did find several Wilson children where the father was John Wilson.  They were Jane (b1834) Richard (b1836) Moses (b1839). For each the mother is Jane Moore and the residence is Tannaghlane, which is right beside Minterburn and Glendavagh.  There were also entries for a Henry Wilson (b1841, and a James (b1841) who appear to be twins.  Their mother is Mary Jane Melon (or Melor) and the residence is Legane.  Legane is also in the immediate area of Minterburn.  I have assumed that the children of John Wilson and Jane Moore are my great great grandmother's siblings because a) Jane and Richard are family names that reoccur in subsequent generations and b) there is a record of the marriage of a Jane Wilson to James Marshall in Minterburn Church in 1855 where the bride's father is given as John Wilson of Glendavagh.

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Wilson, dau. of John Wilson of Glendavagh
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 August 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
Stuart,

You seem to be making great progress with the Wilsons. You wrote about Minterburn Presbyterian records:

<< I did find several Wilson children where the father was John Wilson.  They were Jane (b 1834) Richard (b 1836) Moses (b 1839). For each the mother is Jane Moore and the residence is Tannaghlane, which is right beside Minterburn and Glendavagh.  There were also entries for a Henry Wilson (b 1841, and a James (b 1841) who appear to be twins.  Their mother is Mary Jane Melon (or Melor) and the residence is Legane.  Legane is also in the immediate area of Minterburn.  I have assumed that the children of John Wilson and Jane Moore are my great great grandmother's siblings because a) Jane and Richard are family names that reoccur in subsequent generations and b) there is a record of the marriage of a Jane Wilson to James Marshall in Minterburn Church in 1855 where the bride's father is given as John Wilson of Glendavagh. >>

Have you checked the Tithe Applotments to see where the "John Wilsons" may have been counted in Aghaloo parish? In 1825 and 1837, there were 3 John Wilson entries in the same townlands:

John WILSON - Glendavagh
John WILSON - Glassdrummond
John WILSON -    Kilshanagh

In 1825, there's a William WILSON at Tannagh, and in 1837, a William WILSON at both Tannagh and Glendavagh. It seems odd not to see a John Wilson at Tannagh, since a man of that name and location was baptising children at Minterburn in the 1830s, but the Tithes aren't all-inclusive. If the man wasn't a farmer/agricultural land holder, or is he wasn't the "main" landholder of his farm (maybe his older brother or father or uncle was the tithe-payer), we won't find his name.

Also you can track John Wilson's land holdings at Glendavagh (and any Wilsons at Tannagh) from Griffith's Valuation Revisions, now on-line at PRONI, to see who took over the farm. The occupant/tenant transfers in the Revisions are fascinating.

And, since you found Jane Wilson, daughter of John Wilson of Glendavagh, marrying James Marshall in 1855, I'd trace that particular family and contact descendants if you can find them. Jane seems surely to be a sister of your ancestor Margaret Wilson who was a daughter of John Wilson of Glendavagh.

There's helpful information in various record sources on the Marshalls of Glendavagh/Aghaloo. Type in that name in a Google search, or I can copy more of my research notes for you.

Please write me directly if you want more help -- send a private message and we'll be in touch.

Regards,
Annie

Offline Stiubhard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 July 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie.  Been a while since I chased any Wilsons  :) I looked up Griffith's for Tannagh and there is a John Wilson.  More interesting for me when I looked at the holding for John Wilson in Glendavagh and compared it with the modern map the farm seems to be lergely the same.  I intend to visit next week to see if anything of the old farmhouse remains.  In this part of the world old buildings were often retained even when newer ones were constructed.  I also see that an adjoining farm in Glenkeen townland was farmed by Robert Wilson.  That part of Tyrone was coming down with them!  I also plan to call off in Caledon to see if there are any local history projects/contacts.  I shall let you know how I get on.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 July 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
That is indeed the family.  The only other clue to their American travels is on the 1901 census form original where the entry for Jane under "Where Born" has been over-written.  I can make out that the enumerator has written "America", but cannot make out what the original entry was.

I make it out to be Clones!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Stiubhard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 July 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Lol...I can see where you get that, but I'm pretty sure Annie's theory is right...it looks like America and USA overwritten.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 July 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Lol...I can see where you get that, but I'm pretty sure Annie's theory is right...it looks like America and USA overwritten.  But thanks for the suggestion.

;D ;D Bet Annie sees Clones when she looks again!   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.