Author Topic: Can anyone find this marriage - or details of the bride  (Read 7652 times)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find this marriage - or details of the bride
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »

Oh dear it's getting more complicated.

You are right in the ages of Nancy and Anna do not tally up, so Robert may well have married twice.

If only we could find a marriage for Robert and one of them that would help.

Fay

Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 March 12 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Would like to let you know that I now have a copy of Roberts death certificate which shows informants name as Mrs Anna Preston and details of last spouse - Anna M (Allen).

I also now have a copy of Roberts mother (Suzie (Whitney) Preston) death certificate - which shows Robert was living at 61 High Street, Springfield, MA at the time of her death in 1941.

Having checked City Directories for Springfield for the years available (1941, 43, 46, 48 & 1951) they show Robert A together with Anna M at 61 High Street.

1953 directory says Robert A (Anna M) rem to Wilbraham.

Checked 1955 Wilbraham but nothing listed.

1 know they moved to Ludlow at some point so checked 1955 Ludlow directory which shows Robert & Nancy living at Belmont - which ties in with the newspaper article in 1954 when he was involved in an auto accident with wife Nancy.

I have contacted Dartmouth Town Clerk again to ask about any obituary or death certificate for Anna Marie which is where she died but am still awaiting a reply.

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 March 12 17:27 GMT (UK) »
So the other Anna Marie Allen was indeed a red herring, as you suspected!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 March 12 17:28 GMT (UK) »
The 1952 Springfield directory has Robert & Anna at 61 High St.

The 1953 Ludlow directory has a Robert Preston and wife Nancy living at 9 Belmont.  

Then you have a reference to Anna in 1955.  If that one is correct, I'm thinking maybe there's more than one Robert Preston in the area.  I don't think Anna would have been listed on Robert's gravestone as his wife if they divorced and he married a Nancy.  It also would seem odd if she was going by Anna for a long time, then turned into Nancy, and was back to Anna for her gravestone, so I'm not inclined to think Anna = Nancy.

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 March 12 17:38 GMT (UK) »

Shelley the 1955 directory for Ludlow shows Robert with Nancy in Belmont.

However - just to confuse the issue - after looking back at my notes - taken from Ancestry.com - US Public Records Index Vol 1 - 1985 shows Robert A and Nancy A at Cady Street, Ludlow.

1987 shows Robert A and Nancy A at 112 Wilson Street - which is the address taken from his death certificate.

I am totally confused now.

Fay

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 March 12 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Just edited my earlier post (as typed incorrect year) - now reads  - directory entry 1953 - Robert A (Anna M) rem to Wilbraham.

Fay

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 March 12 19:45 GMT (UK) »
1961  - Springfield. Massachusetts  - Robert A ( Nancy A ) shipper rear 1039 Memorial Avenue. WSpfd h Belmont. Ludlow.

1963 -  Springfield. Massachusetts -  Robert A (Nancy A ) shipper rear 1039 Memorial Avenue. W Spfd H Belmont. Ludlow

Does W Spfd mean West Springfield  ???

Think I fall into "the camp" that believes Anna is Nancy and it is a pet name  :D

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 March 12 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to add - can't see a death record for a Nancy  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 March 12 19:50 GMT (UK) »

I too cannot find a death for Nancy (nor a marriage) - but I can't find a marriage for Robert and Anna either.

Nancy and Anna have to be the same person (I am sure - well sometimes I am sure - I think). 

Last address for Robert and Nancy in the 1987 directory  is the same address for both Robert and Anna Marie on his death certificate.

Fay