Author Topic: Irish newspapers- online records  (Read 12343 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Irish newspapers- online records
« on: Thursday 01 December 11 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, Please use note anyway you wish
The exciting new online index www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ has started with a selection of numerous newspaper, including entries from a small selection of Irish newspapers
Belfast News-Letter . 1737-.  The indexed results so far covers 1828-1900, which currently contains 898 internet pages. These are grouped into 3 sections
1828-1849 with 1863 articles.{ See definition for an article below}
1850-1899 with 8718 articles
1900 with195 articles
Each internet page contains 12 miniaturised front pages with the date published underneath. So you quickly realise that in 1828 it was a biweekly newspaper published on Tuesdays and Fridays, and by 1900, it was daily except Sundays.
If you click on one of these miniaturised front pages, that opens a new window showing each miniaturised page of that issue. So back in 1828 it had 4 pages and in 1900 it had 12 pages
If you click on a miniaturised page of that issue, it opens a window requesting you to register and subscribe.You must buy credits to view further.” A 12 month Subscription [£79.95] gives you unlimited* access to every page in the archive which means you don't need to keep track of how many credits you have left.  Alternatively, if you would prefer to focus your research within a shorter period, you can choose a time-limited (30 days[£29.95 or 2 day[£6.95]) credit package.”  “Once a package has been purchased the Viewer appears, you can move through the newspaper pages using a mixture of zoom, scrolling and grab tools. The Viewer contains print and download image options. There are also engaging features allowing you to ......etc etc.”
The definition of an article isn’t clear to me, I think its meaning here is an entry in the newspaper rather than just a major article, So although I can find a BMD announcement type entry, I don’t think all are indexed. Also the way the indexing is done is from the OCR version of the text, which means many typos creep in!  You can help reduce/correct these once you a subscriber.
Cork Examiner It is planned to encompass 1841–1926  The indexed results so far covers 1841-1849, which currently contains 57 internet pages, and has 680 articles During this period is was published 3 time s a week. The period 1900-1926 when it comes will enable much research into the early 20th century.
[Dublin] Freeman's Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser 1763
The indexed results so far covers 1820-1900, which currently contains 921 internet pages. These are grouped into 3 sections
1820-1849 with 2792 articles.{ See definition for an article below}
1850-1899 with 8017 articles
1900 with 234 articles
in 1820 it was a biweekly newspaper, and by 1900, it was daily except Sundays
back in 1820 it had 4 pages and in 1900 it had 8 pages
The Other Newspapers
A start on many British newspapers has been initiated, searching for an irish surname or two , quickly lead me to entries in the Liverpool area and of course elsewhere.

Genealogical value and Local history value of this source 
Leaving out the cost of seeing the indexed item,
Surname examples I checked the free index for my surname, and found 101 entries, including a few entries of special interest to me.
GRACEY-March 21, at his father's residence. Comber, c: Albert, third son of William Gracey, aged 20 years... Sat 23 Mar 1878 in BMDs from Belfast News-Letter
And another
J. W. Gracey, R.N.R. (retired), has been selected for appointment as Haven Master of Bristol. Mon 03 Apr 1922 from Western Times
Local History example I checked Comber, Co Down to demonstrate local history and found 236 entries
Comber, Co. Down On the 19th sept 1879 the wife of E H. Birch Thu 25 Sep 1879 from Morning Post [London]
Donaghadee. Co. Down, Ireland the Rev. J. M. Killen, D.D., Presbyterian Minister of Comber ; Sat 20 Sep 1879 from The Star [London]
CRICKET “ at Comber on Saturday, the result being a win for the home team by 263 runs, with one wicket to spare. Lisburn, winning the toss, chose to bat, and were all disposed of for 29, etc Mon 09 Aug 1886 from Belfast News-Letter

Summary I applaud the furthering of indexing newspapers, and will join for the minimum 2 day subscription when ready to look up about 500 entries
Postscript  Other newspaper indexes exist, eg the Times [London] the Irish Times Dublin, we need a list
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline bloodties

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast newsletter on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Belfast newsletter on ancestry 1738 to 1925 over 200,000 pages from papers past birth,marriage death, read about the the Great Famine and the Irish Rebellion.
I found a few relatives death notices which have been a big help in my family history research.

regards
Crouch  Craig Hawthorn(e) Atkinson Mulholland Wilson Loughlin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Irish newspapers- online records
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 20:44 GMT (UK) »
two online newspaper archives - both are subscription :

Irish Times Archive - National Newspaper, but based in Dublin. Started publishing in 1859.

Irish Newspaper Archive - Includes a number of newspapers, including Freeman's Journal published in Dublin, going back to the 1700s
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests