Author Topic: Jewish Records  (Read 6071 times)

Offline amazonia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Records
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 November 15 23:01 GMT (UK) »
That's very interesting as they didn't start recording Jewish births until 1764 it says here.. and she was born in 1762.. Already a help! Thanks again..

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 November 15 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandie,
Would you mind looking in your book for some elusive forbears please.
Dr Marcus HYMAN/S Lived Chatham-Rochester area last found as bankrupt Surgeon 1829, but have no birth, marriage and to whom or death dates.
His daughter Rebecca c1814 was married to Joseph POSWILLO who was born Gibraltar c1812, but can't find anything about his family before the 1841 census.
Anything at all to help further the search would be lovely.
Cheers
HeatherR
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline Philfran1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 July 21 04:15 BST (UK) »
Hi replying to Mofid42 question below.

Godfrey Alexander Cohen was my 4 x great grandfather.  Godfrey had 4 Children.   Eliz b. 1811, Esther b.1812, Anne b.1815, and John Godfrey Cohen b.1815 (my 3 x great grandfather)

Interestingly, John Godfrey Cohen sailed to Australia in 1835 and wrote a journal about his trip of which I have a copy.   John also converted to the Church of England before marring his wife Mary Bradford in Sydney. 

Hope this helps.   If you have found any more information about the Cohen's I would be very interested to know. 

Hi Sandie

Thank you for your kind offer.

I am interested in Godfrey Alexander Cohen who was born abt 1783 and married Frances Jonas on 27 Apr 1808 Great Synagogue

I have found a bit about him on the internet which states he had one daughter Esther Cohen b abt 1812 Whitechapel London, who married Joseph Moses Levy abt 1830 but I don't have an exact date for their marriage.

I have also discovered that Godfrey had another two daughters Eliza b abt 1811 Mile End London who died a spinster in 1873 and Anne Cohen b abt 1815 Mile End London who married William Spencer Johnson 18 Feb 1837 Saint Dunstan Stepney.
 On the 27 Aug 1837 Anne Cohen (using her maiden name) was baptised at Saint Dunstan Stepney and the entry states it was an adult baptism, the name of her parents, that she was the wife of William Spencer Johnson and that she was a Jewess by birth.

I am trying to find the exact dates for the births of Godfrey's daughters and whether he had any other children.

If you can help that would be wonderful. Look forward to your reply
regards
MOIRA

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 August 21 05:12 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for a marriage of Emmanuel Abrahams (Mendel Abrahams) to Pauline Krasny in London (most probably) between 1857 and 1860. Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 August 21 05:20 BST (UK) »
Further to my posting above, does anyone have access to the following:
Register of births, marriages and deaths of the Ashkenazi Jews, 1791-1885 (FHL film # 94658-94666).

Perhaps this may provide a result ?
kind regards
francoso