Author Topic: Looking for Mary Feeney (born about 1843)  (Read 5508 times)

Offline nickel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Mary Feeney (born about 1843)
« on: Monday 16 May 05 22:57 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother, Mary Feeney, was born in Laois in about 1843 - her father, Anthony, was a blacksmith.  She was Catholic, and emigrated to Lancashire.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here, so any thoughts or information would be much appreciated.

Nickel
Vancouver, Canada

Offline whales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Mary Feeney (born about 1843)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 05 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Nickel,

Do you know her married name and the names of any of her children. it might then be possible to find her on the Lancashire censuses.   Did her family emigrate with her?

Regards.

Marie.

PS. I've looked on the 1871 census of Lancashire, but she must have been married by then as I couldn't find a match.

Offline nickel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie - Thanks for you reply.

I should have been clearer in my post - I do have all the information about Mary after her marriage to Henry Hosker of Longton in 1866, including who their chidlren were, where they lived, and info about her death.  However, I am at a loss in finding anything before 1866.  There are a couple of possibles in the 1861 Census, but nothing definite, and there is no evidence of her father, Anthony, in the records for England.

So, it's tracing her roots in Ireland that is really the question.

Nickel

Offline whales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 June 05 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Nickel,

I hope you have more luck than I have had in Ireland.   I've been trying to get to the bottom of my Grandmother's family in Co. Offaly for over 20 years.   I've even been over there.   I ordered two certificates from Dublin 3 months ago and I'm still waiting.

If you know the Parish she was born in, you could go to one of the Latter Day Saints libraries and they will order the Parish records for you for a small fee.   I have tried that, but the Parish I want is one of the very few that they don't hold.

Good luck.

Marie.

Offline nickel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 June 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie - You certainly have gone to great lengths!  I don't know that I will get quite as far as you - I may decide not to pursue it much further, given how hard it can be going looking in Ireland with so little information.  A third cousin of mine, also descended from Mary, may do some looking in Ireland - her father was Irish, as well.

Thanks for your reply and good wishes - it sounds like I will need some luck with this one!

Nickel

Offline whales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 June 05 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Nickel,

I still think it's worth looking at the LDS libraries.   They have all the Irish civil records from 1864 as well.   I think that if you put enough messages on the Irish sites, somebody will help you.

Best of British (our way of saying good luck).

Marie.

Offline nickel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 June 05 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie - Many thanks for your encouragement!

Nickel