Author Topic: Craig Family of Carrownaffe, Upper Moville, Donegal  (Read 26057 times)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Family of Carrownaffe, Upper Moville, Donegal
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 March 12 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Al C,

I was in Clar graveyard today, unfortunately before I read your post! I didn't notice any Craigs buried there, but I wasn't really looking for Craigs, the church at Clar/e is no longer standing, the photos linked by aghadowey are of Moville Presbyterian church, Clar graveyard is on the main road from Derry to Moville, off to the right hand side of the road, you can pop these coordinates into the search bar in google maps it will take you directly there, you can then drop into streetview to see the cemetery:

+55° 10' 15.81", -7° 6' 11.26"

This church was referred to as the old church Moville, but after the new church was built in the town of Moville both remained in use until Clar closed in the early 1960's

I intend to record all the graves that are legible in this graveyard sometime in the near future, so I'll keep you posted if I come across any Craigs

Regards

Joe   
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the information about the Clar graveyard and the  co-ordinates, made things much clearer.

Please do keep me posted on any Craig gravemarkers you find there.

Regards,

Al

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Al

I did an index search of Moville Presbyterian Church and can come up with the following children for Robert Craig and Eliza Maginnis:

Robert Craig  1842

Rosanna Craig 1844

Robert Craig 1846

elizabeth Craig  1849

Mary Craig 1854

Martha 1856

Barbara Craig 1858

William Craig 1860

Don't see a record for an Anne or George for the church, one of the 2 Roberts may have been Robert George or the first Robert may have died before the second was born

Regards

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
Joe,

Thanks for those, glad to see my guesses at their birthyear's were not too far off the mark.

Edit:
Just noticed that Rev Joseph MacCorkell was mentioned in the abstract to Martha Craig's will on the PRONI site

"Full Abstract :
Craig Martha of Carrownaffe Moville county Donegal spinster died 19 December 1937 Probate Belfast 16 May to reverend Joseph MacCorkell presbyterian minister and Joshua Montgomery farmer and Herbert McMullan accountant."

A connection of yours?

You have a great website btw.

Regards,
Al

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 March 12 03:12 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say a thank you, for helping with the amazing progress on this family during the past week, especially for Anne Craig; I now have passenger manifests for all 3 of her trips from Ireland to Canada and the US, as well as those for her return visits to Ireland. Also her 1924 passport application which gives her birthdate as Dec 11, 1853 and the 1900,1910,1920, and 1930 US census, and images of her gravemarker as well as her husband's and daughter's.  And to top it off, today I found her obit which appeared in the San Jose Evening News of June 25, 1932 which reads in part.

"Mrs Britton was born in Ulster, Ireland, December 11, 1851. She died Thusday at her home.... The deceased was married to William Britton in November, 1892, in Ireland and came to Morgan Hill [a town in Santa Clara Co. California and now a suburb of San Jose]  in the spring of 1893...... Mrs Britton is survived by an only daughter, Miss Irene Britton R.N. ....
She also leaves three sisters, Mrs. Mary Montgomery of New Jersey, amd Misses Elizabeth Craig and Martha Craig of Ireland."

It is especially good to see the mention of Mary Montgomery as this more or less confirms that I have the right Montgomerys. Mary Craig and James Cousley Montgomery emmigrated to Canada within days of their marriage, had 4 children in Montreal then in 1896 emmigrated to Boston where another child was born. Their childrens' employments took them to New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. After her husband's death in 1921, she moved in with her eldest daughter in East Orange, NJ where she resided until her death in 1934.

Al

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 March 12 20:14 BST (UK) »

Edit:
Just noticed that Rev Joseph MacCorkell was mentioned in the abstract to Martha Craig's will on the PRONI site

"Full Abstract :
Craig Martha of Carrownaffe Moville county Donegal spinster died 19 December 1937 Probate Belfast 16 May to reverend Joseph MacCorkell presbyterian minister and Joshua Montgomery farmer and Herbert McMullan accountant."

A connection of yours?

In answer to your question, no Joseph Mac/McCorkell is  not related, I have done some research on him however as I was looking for a possible connection.

Joseph McCorkell born 1857, Presbyterian Minister Rev. Joseph McCorkell (lic. Derry) was ordained 1882 and spent 13 years at Creggs & Roscommon, served in Moville 1895-1939, died Galashiels, Scotland 5 May 1944 and was buried at Moville, Clar Graveyard, Redcastle (The same graveyard you were asking about in a previous post) His father was John McCorkell who owned a substantial farm in the townland of Skeog, Parish of Burt, just over the border from County Londonderry

Regards

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 May 12 22:48 BST (UK) »
Could this be William b. 1860?

I came across this will calendar on the PRONI site

" Surname : Craig Date of Grant : 8 October 1889
Forename : William Reseal Date : 
Registry : Londonderry Effects : Effects £420 10s. 8d.
Full Abstract :
The Will of William Craig late of Hawkins-street City of Londonderry Writing Clerk who died 20 June 1889 at same place was proved at Londonderry by John Bell of Moville County Donegal and James Maxwell Rodgers of the City of Londonderry Presbyterian Clergyman the Executors. "

There are two Civil Registrations in Londonderry which could be for this deceased, one in the Apr - June quarter and one in the July - Sept quarter, in the former the deceased is said to have been 24 and in the latter 28, neither of which is precise but obviously the latter is a closer fit. Is it likely a death occuring June 20th might not be registered until July?

What caught my eye about the will was the fact that Rev John Bell of Moville was named as one of the executors. I can't come up with a single plausible explanation why this would be if this William did not have some connection to Moville. Rev. Bell is shown as an executor of only three other wills on PRONI, 'my' Robert Craig possibly the father of this William, and two others both residents of Moville. The other executor was the minister at Great James Presbyterian Church in Londonderry, which appears to have been the nearest Presbyterian church to Hawkin St.

Thoughts anyone?

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 May 12 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, one small piece of information, First Derry Presbyterian (1690) Magazine St. or Carlisle rd. Presbyterian church(1838) would both have been closer to Hawkin Street than Great James St. Church (1837)

Regards

Joe

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 May 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
Al C, here's what you looking for!

CRAIG:  June 20, 1889 at his residence 2 Hawkin Street, Londonderry, William, youngest son the late Robert Craig, Carrownaffe, Moville.  His remains will be removed for interment in the City Cemetery tomorrow (Saturday) morning, 22nd inst at eleven o'clock.

Good luck!
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.