Author Topic: Craig Family of Carrownaffe, Upper Moville, Donegal  (Read 26051 times)

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Craig Family of Carrownaffe, Upper Moville, Donegal
« on: Wednesday 21 March 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with information on this family.

Shown below is what I have pulled together from online sources like Lindel Buckley's Donegal Resources site, the Moville Records site, Familysearch, Ancestry, PRONI, the National Archive of Ireland site, and the National Libray of Ireland site.

Robert Craig listed in the 1828 Tithe Applotments no other information.

his son? Robert Craig abt 1817 - 19 Dec., 1869. One of these two Roberts is shown in Griffiths Valuation for Carrownaffe, Upper Moville as having just over 38 acres or about 17% of the area of the Townland, can anyone suggest where specifically this might have been, the map accompanying the online image of the Griffiths Valuation does not appear to accurately reflect the entries in the image of the Valuation itself?

There is a will on the PRONI site for the younger Robert which mentions: his wife Eliz and children, sons Robert and George, and William; daughters Lizzie, Anne, Mary, Martha, Barbara, and Roseanna and a grandson Joseph McCurry. The will gives the value of his estate as 290 pounds, how sizable was that for the time and place?

There is a Civil Reg listed on Familysearch for the death of an Eliza Craig in the Inishowen Dist Apr - June 1888, est birth 1822;
No further information.

Robert --- birth abt 1844; have 1901 & 1911 Census; 1907 & 1910 Belfast and Ulster Directories.  There is a Robert Craig in the Civil Reg's for Inishowen who died  Apr - June 1919, est birth year 1843.

George --- 1911 Census says b abt 1848, Donegal, married, Presbyterian but no wife listed.  There is a George Craig in the Civil Reg's for Inishowen who died Apr - June 1920, est birth year 1849. The only George Craig I could find in the 1901 census who came close to matching was George Craig b abt 1851, Donegal, Presbyterian, married, living on Marlbourough St.,  Londonderry with wife Elizabeth (b Northumberland Co. Eng) and 3 children,  a Steamship agent.  I have information that indicates this George Craig was the manager of the Steel & Bennie offices in Londonderry from about 1895, probably until the company ceased operations in Londonderry in 1906. In the 1911 census, his wife and children were living in Dublin; she is shown as married but also listed as head of the family suggesting they were seperated. Can anyone confirm George Craig Carrownaffe 1911 and George Craig Londonderry 1901 are one and the same person?

Lizzie --- Estimated birth 1851;  no information

Anne --- Estimated birth 1853;  edit to reflect reply #1: Anne married William Britton in Nov 1892; they sailed immediately for New York arriving Nov 28 1892, and returned to Santa Clara Co., California. One daughter born in 1895. Family returned to Ireland in 1914 for visit. Anne and daughter visited again in 1924 by which time Wm had died.  

Mary --- Estimated birth 1855;  could be Mary Craig born Feb 8, 1854 to Robert Craig and Eliza Maginnis who married James Cousley Montgomery (son of Robert and Mary) in Upper Moville, June 14, 1888, and moved to Canada.

Martha --- birth abt 1857; have 1901 & 1911 Census, Will Calendar, Ulster Declaration, died Dec. 19, 1937.

Barbara --- estimated birth 1859; no information

William --- estimated birth 1861; the will mentions that he is to attend a National School, I have not found him in any of the online indecies to National School enrollments; no other information.

Roseanna estimated birth 1847; --- Edit to reflect reply #4: married Frederick McCurry of Coleraine on Apr 21, 1868 at the Presbyterian Church, Moville, announcement appeared in the Londonderry papers. No further information.

Grandson, Joseph McCurry,  might be the son of Roseanna and  Joseph above, but I beleive he was born Sept 13, 1866 the son of another daughter Rebbeca Jane Craig estimated birth 1844 who married Hugh McCurry of Moville on Oct 18, 1865 in Moville. As Hugh McCurry remarried in 1868, I beleive that Rebbaca predeceased her father Robert. Joseph McCurry married Amelia Press of Greencastle, worked in Moville as a steamship clerk (1901 census) and in the 1911 census he was living on Marlborough St., Londonderry, a coal merchant; he died at Greencastle on Sept, 16, 1932. Can anyone provide burial information for Rebbeca and Joseph? 

Thanks

Al

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Family of Carrownaffe, Upper Moville, Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Found a marriage,

BRITTON - CRAIG  November 17, 1892 at Clar Presbyterian Church by the Rev Robert Porter.  William Britton, San Jose, California to Annie, fourth daughter of the late Robert Craig, Carrownaffe, Upper Moville.

Deaths: 

CRAIG - April 22, 1884.  Elizabeth, wife of the late Robert Craig of Carrownaffe, Upper Moville, aged 62 years.  Her remains will be removed today, Friday morning at eleven o'clock for interment in Clar burying ground.

CRAIG - May 1, 1920 at his residence Carrownaffe Farm, Upper Moville.  George, second son of the late Robert Craig in his 72nd year.  Funeral this day, Monday 3rd inst at 2.30 pm to Clar burying ground.

Hope this helps.
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 20:06 GMT (UK) »
DoireM,

Thank you so much for those, do you have a source citation? Looks like newspaper announcements.

Al

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Al, welcome to Rootschat.

Yes, I transcribed them from the Derry Journal.  If I come across any more in the weeks ahead will let you know.

Good Luck.
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 12 12:09 GMT (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

moville upper

24.4.1868 Roseanna daughter of Robert Craig married Frederick McCurry

Robert Craig died 19.12.1867

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

moville upper

24.4.1868 Roseanna daughter of Robert Craig married Frederick McCurry

Robert Craig died 19.12.1867

Note: death is 1869 (as in original post on this thread-
"December 21 1869 - December 19, at his residence, Carrownaffe, Moville, MR. ROBERT CRAIG"
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/movillelupprbmdnotices.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
DoireM,

Thanks for the source info and your work in transcribing it.

Rathmore,

Frederick it is, my error in copying from my notes, his father's name was Joseph

aghadowey,

Thanks for that.

I will edit my original post to reflect the correction and the new information re Anne Craig and Wm Britton

Does anyone know if there are MIs for Clar Presbyterian burying ground available online?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 March 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I think the actual name is Moville Presbyterian Church which was originally at Clare (known as Old Moville). See here for a few gravestone inscriptions-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/inishowencem2.htm

Photo of church:
http://www.geograph.ie/photo/875393
Looks like an older pictre, and more information, hre:
http://www.movillerecords.com/covenant6.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Al C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 March 12 16:50 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey,

Thanks, or could it be http://www.movillerecords.com/gravestones_clar.html .