Author Topic: SWAYNE/SWAINE in Co wexford  (Read 21471 times)

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • clendinnen girls early 1900s
    • View Profile
Re: SWAYNE/SWAINE in Co wexford
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 06 March 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi DRL
Thanks for your Reply    Nice to Hear From u Again   Cecilia Swayne who Married Charles Henry Wade in 1863 In England on her Marriage Cert it Stated Her Father John Swayne a Merchant Was Deceased   Her Half Sister Mary Charlotte Brend (nee Swayne) was a Witness at the Marriage   Of Mary Charlotte Swaynes Marriage in 1846 to Thomas Brend   Witnesses Were John Clendinnen(rev)Cant quite make out the Other Witness    Mary Charlotte Swaynes Father was Listed as John Swayne Yeoman   A clendinnen researcher Thinks these 2 John Swaynes May have been Cousins  But ive found Nothing more on them Even using Different Spellings  I gather Both may Have been from Wexford    Also Ive found Nothing more on Samuel Alexander Frederick  Swayne Born 28 Jan 1839 In Wexford   Son of John Swayne and Annie Cecilia Clendinnen  Brother of Cecilia Swayne   This lot is Definitely Confusing me   Any Thoughts?? Thanks.
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey
Wexford...Clendinnen, Steele, Ellis
Roscommon...Carley, Fallon

France...D'Acre, Went to Ireland some Changed to DEAKER

England Direct Lines
Norfolk: Clamp, Chesney, Atkins, streek
Essex: Mountford, Cornell, Philpott, Hawkes
Wiltshire: Stone, Annetts,

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton

Offline Drl1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 06 March 21 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi DRL
Thanks for your Reply    Nice to Hear From u Again   Cecilia Swayne who Married Charles Henry Wade in 1863 In England on her Marriage Cert it Stated Her Father John Swayne a Merchant Was Deceased   Her Half Sister Mary Charlotte Brend (nee Swayne) was a Witness at the Marriage   Of Mary Charlotte Swaynes Marriage in 1846 to Thomas Brend   Witnesses Were John Clendinnen(rev)Cant quite make out the Other Witness    Mary Charlotte Swaynes Father was Listed as John Swayne Yeoman   A clendinnen researcher Thinks these 2 John Swaynes May have been Cousins  But ive found Nothing more on them Even using Different Spellings  I gather Both may Have been from Wexford    Also Ive found Nothing more on Samuel Alexander Frederick  Swayne Born 28 Jan 1839 In Wexford   Son of John Swayne and Annie Cecilia Clendinnen  Brother of Cecilia Swayne   This lot is Definitely Confusing me   Any Thoughts?? Thanks.

Rev John Swayne and the John Swayne from Wexford might have been related but it's impossible to tell since records don't go back that far.

Rev John Swayne was born about 1786, the son of John Swayne, Esq and Charlotte Connor of Midleton, County Cork.  John and Charlotte had at least 11 children, most of which I have been able to trace, and have death records for many of them.  None of them, that I can tell anyway, ended up in Wexford.  Rev. John Swayne, as near as I can tell, never lived in Wexford.  It appears he lived most of his life in Kilworth, Cork and moved to Tipperary about 1834. 

I have a Memorial of a Deed that places John Swayne and his wife, Mary Cecilia in Carley's Bridge (just outside of Enniscorthy) in 1832.  John and Mary Cecilia were quite active in the Methodist church until 1831, when they disappear out of the Methodist Class books.  I don't have a death record for Mary Cecilia but John Swayne died in 1847.  Their two eldest daughters, Elizabeth and Mary Charlotte, were living in England by 1841.  Mary Charlotte's wedding announcement notes that she is the niece of John Clendinnen.  They also had a son named William Middleton who emigrated to the US after he married Sarah Owens. 

The first record of Anna Cecilia Swayne being in England is in 1851, when she is living with her grandparents - John and Mary Cecilia Clendinnen. 

So, why is Mary Charlotte called John Clendinnen's niece when he was technically her step-grandfather?  I don't know.  Could be a lot of reasons she called herself that when the relationship was technically something else. 

There was actually a lot of Swaynes (and various spellings) living in Wexford, many in Gorey, some near Newtonberry (Bunclody) some in Ballycarney and some in Monart.  I suspect that John Swayne is connected to either the Newtonberry or Monart branch.  I don't know if they are connected to another Wexford branch or not.  Unfortunately, finding records for them are difficult since most are not online.  There is no way with available records to connect the Swaynes that lived in Cork to the Swaynes that lived in Wexford. 

I have to say that I haven't done a whole lot of research on the Clendinnen's so I can't really comment on the research of someone who has.  They possibly have sources I'm not aware of.  What I have done is a great deal of research on the Swaynes in Ireland, and I'm not even close to being done yet.  I've spent a lot of time going over whatever online records I have been able to find, which include newspapers and some other really obscure records that you have to dig through.  Unfortunately, many of those records are NOT available in Wexford.  There were a number of John Swaynes in Ireland during that time period and it seems like everyone who does research on Swaynes tries to connect them to the Rev. John Swayne.

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Sunday 07 March 21 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi HDL
Thanks for your Reply  Nice to Hear from you again  And Thanks for all that info too. I have a Memorial of a Deed that places John Swayne and his wife, Mary Cecilia in Carley's Bridge (just outside of Enniscorthy) in 1832(Is there anyway i can get a Copy of that please? Having 2 John Swaynes Married to The Daughters of Rev John Clendinnen throwing me for a Sixer   Were they Cousins? as One was Listed as a Yeoman and One Listed as a Merchant on the Girls Marriage Certs (which i have copies of)u also mentioned they had a Son Wiliam Middleton Swayne?? Who was the Mother?
Have used different Spellings with these Swaynes too   Have u Found anything at all re Samuel Alexander Swayne? I would love to Find the Marriage of Cecilia(Annie) Clendinnen and John Swayne But no luck yet
Will keep Looking
Regards
Cathy:)

Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 07 March 21 06:56 GMT (UK) »
In your searches don't forget the alternative spellings of Clendinnen
Clendon
Glendinning
Glendinnen
Clendinning
etc. 

I have come across the name in Co Antrim and Co Derry where they were mainly Presbyterians, CoI, Methodists etc

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 07 March 21 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanreagh
Most definitely My lot who Came to Australia Tended to Use Clendinnen  In Vic and SA  etc Tho my gggrandfather was Listed as Samuel Alfred Clindinning(Clendinnen) On passenger list here   Can u be different ways to Spell any surname 
Yes My lot originated from Scotland as Glendinning  Then Went to Co Down  Then u see The Different Spellings  Clindinning/Clendinning/Clendinnen etc A nightmare For researchers.And Yes mainly Presbyterian My ggggrandfather was John C Clendinnen a Wesleyan Minister born Circa 1770 in Downpatrick Co Down.
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines

Offline Drl1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 07 March 21 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi HDL
Thanks for your Reply  Nice to Hear from you again  And Thanks for all that info too. I have a Memorial of a Deed that places John Swayne and his wife, Mary Cecilia in Carley's Bridge (just outside of Enniscorthy) in 1832(Is there anyway i can get a Copy of that please? Having 2 John Swaynes Married to The Daughters of Rev John Clendinnen throwing me for a Sixer   Were they Cousins? as One was Listed as a Yeoman and One Listed as a Merchant on the Girls Marriage Certs (which i have copies of)u also mentioned they had a Son Wiliam Middleton Swayne?? Who was the Mother?
Have used different Spellings with these Swaynes too   Have u Found anything at all re Samuel Alexander Swayne? I would love to Find the Marriage of Cecilia(Annie) Clendinnen and John Swayne But no luck yet
Will keep Looking
Regards

I'm confused.  Where are you getting that there were two different John Swaynes that were married to daughters of John Clendinnen? 

Offline Drl1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 07 March 21 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to try to clear up some confusion, and I apologize that this is going to be long.  First of all, prior to 1842, no marriages were allowed in the Methodist church, so people had to get married in Church of Ireland churches.  Some Methodists allowed baptisms early on, but not all.  Baptismal records for Methodists are few and far between early on and they are generally not online.  Which means you'd have to visit an archives somewhere to find these records or hire someone to do it.  The records I have are mainly from what I can find online and some are from another researcher collecting those records when they visited the RCB at Dublin a few years ago.  This researcher collected any Swayne records they could in certain parishes that were of interest to them and to myself.  Not all parish records were looked through because of lack of time and generally speaking, they are transcripts not copies of the records.  Having said that, this is what I have and keep in mind I have not done a great deal of research of the Clendinnens, but only as they connect to the Swaynes.

John Clendinnen married Mary Ann Ellis in the Diocese of Kildare in 1802. This record is available here - http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/dm/IRE_DIOC_007246535_00057.pdf  This record is just a book of Marriage License Bonds and not the actual marriage record.  If those records do exist, they are not online and would have to be searched for at the RCB in Dublin. 

I do not have birth/baptismal records for any of their children and I do not have a death record for Mary Ann.  There are other records that state the two sons I have in my tree (John and William) were born in County Cork.  I have no further information on them until they married.  I have no further information on whether or not John and Mary Ann had any other children besides those two. 

John Clendinnen married Mary Charlotte Robson in the Diocese of Ossory in 1813.  Here is that record - http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/dm/IRE_DIOC_007246537_00138.pdf.  This record also includes Mary Charlotte Crane marrying Middleton Robson in 1797 and Mary Cecilia Robson marrying John Swayne in 1818. 

I have no records for any children they might have had.  The Gorey parish records don't start until 1827 and the first Clendinnen in those records is a grandson named Joseph born in 1828.  The Newtonbarry parish records are available online at the RCB (google Anglican Record Project).  There are a few other parishes available as well.  The only Clendinnen record in the Newtonbarry parish records is William's marriage to Lydia Deaker. 

Middleton Robson and Mary Charlotte Crane were married in the Diocese of Ossory in 1797.  Middleton Robson died in 1798 on Wexford Bridge.  Mary Charlotte Robson then married John Clendinnen in 1813.  It is unknown if they themselves had children.  What I have right now is that John Clendinnen had two children with his first wife, Mary Ann Ellis, and Mary Charlotte Crane had one child with her first husband, Middleton Robson.  It's possible there were other children, I just don't have records for them at this time.  Mary Cecilia was John Clendinnen's step daughter, not his daughter and I have no records that state he had any biological daughters at all. 

I do have the transcript of John Swayne and Mary Cecilia Robson's marriage.  It states they were both from Newtonbarry and that they married in Enniscorthy on 26 July 1818.  They are listed in the Methodist Class books from 1819 to 1831.  I have a memorial of a deed that places them in Carley's Bridge in 1832.  There aren't any baptismal records for any of their possible children available online.  Possible children are Elizabeth, born about 1821, Mary Charlotte born about 1822, William Middleton born about 1825 and Anna Cecelia born about 1825.  It's possible they had other children.  John Swayne died 27 Aug 1847.  I don't have a death record for Mary Cecilia. 

I, personally, do not have any records that state what John Swayne's profession was.  It is however possible that he was both a yeoman and a merchant.  It is also confusing as to why in the announcement for Mary Charlotte Swayne's married to Thomas Brend that she is referred to as John Clendinnen's niece.  I don't have an answer for that. 

I have also realized that many researchers appear to have Mary Ann Ellis and Mary Charlotte Crane/Robson confused and/or combined.  They also appear to have placed Anna Cecilia Swayne as their daughter and not their grand-daughter, which is why there is confusion about "Cecilia Clendinnen".  This is why it's really important to take what other people have in their trees with a grain of salt.  Many people get so far into something and then don't do follow up.  I think this is also why there is confusion about a son named Samuel, who I haven't found any records of.  The person that put them in their tree cites no sources of where this son was supposedly born.  I would suggest you ignore what other people have in their trees unless they have a record to back it up and in this case, they don't. 

I hope this has cleared up some confusion. 

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sunday 07 March 21 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi DRL
Wow thanks For all That Info  Much Appreciated   Yes U have to Watch some of those Trees on Ancestry etc As u find many without Sources Etc etc   Will Have to Recheck My Tree And Sort some out  Myself   As People Tend to Copycat Other Trees
The one now Im interested in is
I have no records for any children they might have had.  The Gorey parish records don't start until 1827 and the first Clendinnen in those records is a grandson named Joseph born in 1828
So thats Joseph Clendinnen???Who were His Grandparents?? As Joseph is a Name quite Common in our Clendinnen Lines   Wonder who his Parents were?? I do have a Joseph Clendinnen Born 1838  Died 1838   Possibly soon aftrer Birth   Parents William Clendinnen and Lydia Deaker    They did have another son Called Joseph George Clendinnen Born 1844 Died 1895 In England
But u are so Right Its all About Sources For Records, Certs Etc
Thanks Again For all Your Help    Cheers
Regards
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines

Offline Drl1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 07 March 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi DRL
Wow thanks For all That Info  Much Appreciated   Yes U have to Watch some of those Trees on Ancestry etc As u find many without Sources Etc etc   Will Have to Recheck My Tree And Sort some out  Myself   As People Tend to Copycat Other Trees
The one now Im interested in is
I have no records for any children they might have had.  The Gorey parish records don't start until 1827 and the first Clendinnen in those records is a grandson named Joseph born in 1828
So thats Joseph Clendinnen???Who were His Grandparents?? As Joseph is a Name quite Common in our Clendinnen Lines   Wonder who his Parents were?? I do have a Joseph Clendinnen Born 1838  Died 1838   Possibly soon aftrer Birth   Parents William Clendinnen and Lydia Deaker    They did have another son Called Joseph George Clendinnen Born 1844 Died 1895 In England
But u are so Right Its all About Sources For Records, Certs Etc
Thanks Again For all Your Help    Cheers
Regards

This Joseph Clendinnen's parents were John Clendinnen and Ann Green.  He was born 18 Feb 1828 and baptized 9 Mar 1828. 

For the same parents, I also have John born 25 Feb 1829 and baptized 4 Mar 1829.  Frances born 7 Sept 1830 and baptized 5th Oct 1830 and died 19 May 1842, Mary Charlotte born 6 Nov 1836 and baptized on 1st Jan 1837, Isabella born 21st Dec 1838 and baptized on 13th Feb 1839, Frances (named for elder sister who died) born 19 Nov 1842 and baptized on 5th Dec 1842.