Author Topic: help request still searching  (Read 5811 times)

Offline carolmichelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help request
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 March 12 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine for helping me with my research. 
Have been looking for yrs for him, even on the ancestry family tree website i dont get any hints.  Its a real mystery which has turned into an obsession at the minute.  Carol
Halls Chambers Hutchinson Northumberland

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 March 12 01:30 BST (UK) »
I have had a couple like that as I'm sure most of us have on here.

Just recently on this very forum someone was looking for a grave for one of my 'non existent' ancestors.  The first time I've ever seen anyone else looking for him.  Now I have a couple of hints which is great.

It's fun trying to find someone else's awkward ancestors - a change of name and venue for a start  ;D

Christine

Offline carolmichelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 April 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
Still having no luck with this elusive ancestor.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 April 12 00:49 BST (UK) »
Worry not  ;D I haven't forgotten him - I just didn't make it to Woodhorn this week.  Too many other committments.

He's still on my list as is the 1788 marriage to check for witnesses.

Christine

Offline carolmichelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 April 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
I think i may of found a small hint going back over igi records have found a marriage for a Robert Hall and Elizabeth Maughan in 1839 Corbridge.  Grooms fathers name Allen Hall.(not many Allen Halls about) Certificate might say if Allen was deceased.  This marriage would make Robert about 45 yrs of age but it could be his second one. Her father was Nicholas Maughan.  Will Hexham registrars have this certificate?

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 April 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

They've wandered a bit down county to reach Corbridge but, yes, Hexham registrars should have the certificate.

A word of caution though - I spent years believing that my g.g. grandfather was still alive when his son married simply because it didn't say 'deceased' on the cert.  Turns out he died almost 10 years earlier but obviously no-one told the registrar!

Christine

Offline carolmichelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 April 12 19:45 BST (UK) »
Gabriel Allens eldest son was a shepherd at Ridsdale and on the first census states his  place of birth as Throcklington Later on he has Hartburn.  He married at Corsenside. By road today it seems miles from Elsdon but looking at maps across the fields is half the journey.  Maybe the whole family were in the Throcklington parish at some point,  Allen was a shepherd and would of gone where the work was.   Will send for certificate as nothing ventured nothing gained.  Throcklington is slightly closer to Corbridge.   Hence why I thought it a posibility.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 00:27 BST (UK) »
You're right about distances - they can be deceiving.  I noticed a sign post at Kirk Harle (10 miles beyond Ponteland on the Jedburgh road) which says 'Hexham 13 miles'.  I was surprised at the time but over the fields, as you say.....

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 April 12 00:59 BST (UK) »

Hi Carol

Here is your 1788 marriage as written

“The banns of marriage between Allen Hall of West Todhill and Jane Boiston of Hudspeth were duly published in this church 3 several Sundays viz: May 18, 25 and June 7 by me Rich. Harrison.  Allen Hall and Jane Boiston were married in this church this 11th day of June 1788 by me Rich. Harrison Curate
This marriage was solemnised between us Allen Hall and Jane Boiston (now Hall) her mark in the presence of Matthew Hall, George Talford and Roert Boiston.”

Things to note:  Allen and Matthew Hall could both sign their names and their signatures were good enough to indicate that they were literate.  George Talford was not quite to neat but readable (also note that the surname Tailford occurs in this parish).  The third witness was much more difficult to read - I would have had difficulty with the surname if I hadn’t known it and I think perhaps his first name could be Robert.  I wondered whether he had learned how to sign his name especially for this occasion.

Anyway I hope these names might lead you a bit further.

Christine