Author Topic: What became of David Waddell? **Completed thank you**  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
What became of David Waddell? **Completed thank you**
« on: Thursday 22 March 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
In the 1861 census, at Wester Strath, Torphichen, are David Waddell, 67, Jane, 63, and five of their children. There is no sign of David in 1871, but I have failed to find a death certificate in SP or FreeBMD. Nor can I find his wife's death certificate.

Does anyone have access to MIs for Torphichen which might shed some light on their disappearance?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where became of David Waddell?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 12 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I've checked the Torphichen MI's and no mention of David or Jane.     Did you find Jane or any of the children on the 1871 census?

Cheers ...  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 12 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Common name in New Monkland, maybe moved back?

Skoosh.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all  :)

Think Jane's maiden name was also Waddell , married 1822 Torphichen West Lothian
Children(?) Mary , James , Jean , Alison , Janet , Agnes , Ann , & John

ev

Added - Not that it helps any , but Janet(Jessie) Waddell may have married an Allan McNair in 1861
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 12 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, all.

Yes, David's wife was Jane Waddell.

In spite of the fact that he doesn't appear in the online SP index, it turns out that he is in the index in Register House. He died in 1865 in St Ninians, Stirlingshire.

Have yet to find Jane's death certificate, but am consulting with SP about the problem.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 12 00:58 GMT (UK) »
David Waddell, husband of Jane Waddell, is on SP for an 1865 death registered in St Ninians. His age is not on the index, so if you did not tick the box to show unrecorded ages, he may not have shown up in a search.

Jane's death is there too, 1888, also in Stirlingshire, in one of the registration sub-districts which had been created from St Ninians in the intervening years.

ADP

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 March 12 07:30 GMT (UK) »
I got him eventually in Register House, thank you.

Offline melanieij

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What became of David Waddell? **Completed thank you**
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
David Waddell is my great great grandfather, his son John married Janet Weir of Rosehill, St Ninians.
 Their daughter Jeannie Weir Waddell was my granny .David and Jane lived latterly at Carnock with
their extended family, son James, and farm workers. David died aged 72 in 1864 at Carnock, Jane
still alive in 1881census.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What became of David Waddell? **Completed thank you**
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, Melanie, and welcome to RootsChat.

Your David Waddell was one of six sons of James Waddell and Alison Crombie, who farmed at Mountcow in the parish of Shotts. I have been looking at the various Waddell families in Shotts in the hope of finding a link to mine in New Monkland, but so far without success.

I have some information about the descendants of four of the six brothers. A fifth brother died unmarried, so I have only one 'missing' one.

Once you have made another two posts on the forum, we will be able to contact one another via the Personal Messaging system to exchange notes in detail.