Author Topic: Henry and Mary Macey, Southampton, Hampshire  (Read 8621 times)

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry and Mary Macey, Southampton, Hampshire
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 March 12 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I am fascinated by this puzzle, including why on a boat trip from England to Canada the boys ages increase,  ( One by 3 years) ? But,  Was their any occasion when the occupation of their father was stated?

Re " Missing births from Freebmd" I truly think you may be clutching at straws, but it was not required at that particular time to register a birth, so possibly both registrations are missing, although the Harry one in 1861 is tempting!

Keyboard86

In 1871 census of Hazard household the boys are listed as 9 & 6 so in 1872 they would be 10 &7.  That is closer to Bernardos ages of 11 & 7.  If the census was taken before Henry's birthday it would match.  Passenger lists may not be accurate.  I don't have any trade for the father on any documents.  Looking at the original image of the 1871 census it looks to me like the name is Harry Macey not Henry so this gives me hope that Harry Mecey birth record 1861 is the one I am looking for.

It is nice of you to stick with this puzzle.

anngar

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 March 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
I have found deaths of Mary Mecey June quarter 1868, Southampton, 30 yrs vol 2c pg 7

Henry Macey Mar quarter 1869, N Forest, Hampshire, 33 yrs vol 2b pg 400

I wonder if they are the parents of Henry and Fred?  Maybe she had two children with a Henry before she died.  Perhaps they weren't married or if they were her husband could have also been a Macey  (perhaps a distant cousin).  When Mary died in Southampton, Henry could have moved to N Forest, perhaps to a relative for help with the boys.  After the father died, maybe the boys went to Thomas Hazard's household as boarders.

This Mary Mecey could also be Ann & Phoebe's sister.   Mary who was 23 at the time of the 1861 census in Henry & Maria's household.  Their surname varies on different census.  .  I am still grasping at straws.  Mary's sisters Ann & Phoebe seem to have had children while single.

Maria the mother, of Mary wasn't found in 1871 census.  Henry the father was listed as widowed in 1871 .
Found death registration Sept. quarter 1866 on freebmd site for Maria Mecey age 60 Southampton vol 2c, pg. 6 and
In a book "Diarrhoea and Cholera", by John Chapman, Trubner and Co., 1866 Page 236 under Cholera:  (In Southampton).
"Case XXX111- Mrs Macey age 67, attacked (by cholera) July 13: ice applied, but not kept along spine, I found it on one side; and no heat was applied to extremities.  She died on the second day of treatment."  Age is off but this could be Maria.

anngar

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 30 March 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
The other problem of course is that both the children may not have been orphans in the way we think of such i.e, children without living parents. Many of the children sent to Canada had parents, but they were unable to afford to keep them on the parish out-relief, so emigration to Canada was an option offered by the parish.

Tom

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 March 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
Tom,

That is true.  I think on Henry's marriage record he said his parents were dead, but that was in 1881.

In another reply above it was said that having two Henrys in one family would be unusual, Henry had a son Frederick James and another son James, so having a Henry/Harry and a Frederick Henry in the same family could be possible.
anngar

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 18:07 BST (UK) »
Updating search for Henry & Mary Macey

I received the birth certificate for Harry Mecey June quarter 1861, Southampton vol 2c pg 23.  Harry was born 10 April 1861, 1 Birmingham Street, Southampton, father’s name blank, nother’s name, Mary Mecey, father’s occupation, blank, registered 16 May 1861, registrar Robert Wakeford. 

Mary is listed in 1841 census as Mary Macey, age 4, daughter of Henry & Maria Macey.
In 1851 census Mary is listed as Mary Macey, age 13.
Mary is listed in 1861 census as daughter of Henry & Maria Mecey, 1 Birmingham St, Southampton, All Saints, age 23.  Harry isn’t listed, because he probably wasn’t born at the time of the census.  Arthur Henry Mecey is listed, 2 months old, but turns out to be Mary’s sister, Ann’s baby.
Mary isn’t listed in 1871 census.  Her father is listed as Henry Mecey, widower.
There is a Mary Mecey death reg in BDM Jun quarter 1868 age 30, Southampton, Hampshire, vol 2c pg 7 and a death registration Sept. quarter 1866 in BMD for Maria Mecey age 60 Southampton vol 2c, pg. 6

I feel this is the Henry/Harry Macey that I am looking for because the birth date is the exact date that we have in our family files and on docs for both Henry & Frederick we have Mary & Henry listed as their parents.  Surname varies in censuses. I don’t think I will ever find the father.  Mary may have named Harry after her father and told the boys that their father’s name was Henry.  She may or may not have known the father’s name of the boys.  Frederick may even have another father.  Single parenthood in this family is not unusual.  Sister, Ann had 2 children unmarried, before she married Arthur Janaway and another sister Phoebe had 2 children unmarried before she was living with John Kellaway.

I guess after Mary died Harry and Fred went to board with Thomas Hazard.  In 1872 they were sent to Canada.

A relative sent away for other certificates. 
Henry registered 26 March 1863 - born Mar 9 1863, lived at 6 Winchester Terrace, father George Macey (stoker in a steam vessel) and mother Harriet (late Payne and formerly Davis)  George Macey is Henry Macey’s (Mary’s father) cousin.

Frederick registered 10 Jan 1863 - born Dec 1 1862, lived at 4 Cross Street, St Mary, father Charles Macey (boiler maker) and mother Margaret Ann (formerly Jones)

Frederick registered 2 Feb 1866 - born Dec 13 1865, lived at 26 College Street, St Mary, father William Macey(laborer in docks) and mother Maria (formerly Squibb)  William Macey is Henry Macey’s, (Mary’s father) brother

anngar

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 April 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
Correction

Sorry, I got a little confused about the relationship of Mary's father, Henry and William & George.

Henry b. 1798 had a brother Elias b. 1807
Elias had sons William b. 1834 and George b. 1837

So William & George are brothers and Henry is their uncle

anngar