Author Topic: Henry and Mary Macey, Southampton, Hampshire  (Read 8624 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry and Mary Macey, Southampton, Hampshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 March 12 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, no I obtained the parents names from the christening of a Frederick Henry Macey on 25th February 1866 St Mary, Southampton.

An extracted record from the Family Search site (new version)

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 March 12 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, no I obtained the parents names from the christening of a Frederick Henry Macey on 25th February 1866 St Mary, Southampton.

An extracted record from the Family Search site (new version)

Keyboard86

Keyboard 86

Thanks.

I also found on BMD Births Jun 1861 quarter

MECEY Harry   Southampton 2c23  that may be a possibility for Henry Macey. 

anngar

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 March 12 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the parent & situation?

A Maria Macey died in Southampton in March 1870 (Free BMD Southampton    2c   16 aged 41)

According to SOUTHAMPTON POLICE COURT .
The Hampshire Advertiser (Southampton, England), Saturday, March 18, 1871; a William Macey, a labourer,  was sentenced for 6 weeks imprisonment with hard labour for neglecting his five children, whereby they became chargeable to the South Stoneham Union. The children were admitted into the Union on May 14th, 1870, The defendant stated he had left them with his sister giving her few shillings to support them, whilst he went off looking for work, but when the money ran out she was compelled to take them to the Union.

In 1861, the family of William & Maria Macey are living in the Millbrook area of Southampton, South Stoneham RD

William Macey   26
Maria Macey   20
Ellen M Macey   2
George T Macey   6 Months

Lots about Mr. Hazard.

Tom

I am sending this again because my answer to your post got lost in your message

This is interesting and could be a possibility.  I don't know, because on documents that I have found in Canada on both Henry & Fred they mentioned that their parents were Henry & Mary Macey.

What is the info on Mr. Hazard, because the boys lodging with Tom Hazard in 1771 were the ones that I had narrowed down as being a possiblility.  I tried to find the SOUTHAMPTON POLICE COURT .
The Hampshire Advertiser (Southampton, England), Saturday, March 18, 1871, but could only find other editions on other dates.  Do you have a link?

anngar

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 March 12 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, the Harry Mecey birth reg you found is surely the cert that could unlock just who were the parents, it is the one for Fred that I cannot fathom, as I cannot locate another one other than with parents William and Maria, and why would he also have the middle name of Henry?

Keyboard86

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 March 12 15:55 GMT (UK) »
anngar,

The Newspaper resource is from my local library which I can access online from home with my library ticket. Thomas Hazard was a public health inspector, so his name often crops up in matters at various courts where Public Health was an issue. He gives evidence in cases of horse cruelty,, where someone turned on a water tap and left it running etc. What I was hoping to see was a connection between him and the Macey family or even Dr. Barnados, but unfortunately I couldn't see any at all.

I was going to ask how you know that the above children have parents named Henry & Mary Macey, but presumed that these were amongst papers provided by Barnados-do they give any info as to the occupation of the father?

I can't give you a link as such, but if you have a local library ticket that has this database then have fun searching, if not then find a library that does.

Tom

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, the Harry Mecey birth reg you found is surely the cert that could unlock just who were the parents, it is the one for Fred that I cannot fathom, as I cannot locate another one other than with parents William and Maria, and why would he also have the middle name of Henry?

Keyboard86

Keyboard86

I found the William & Maria that you found on Family Search.  Do you think this is info that someone has posted on Family Search that they think connects to their family or do you think Family Search got it directly from the BMD that you quoted before?

I appreciate all the feedback you have given to me

anngar

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
The baptism in 1866, is  extracted, ie someone has actually viewed this in the parish register and is on film/file,  Something is not quite right, ie can you find a marriage of a Henry to a Mary, can you locate a Henry Macey of potentially marrying age in 1851 or 1861 in the Southampton area, and why only children in 1861 and 1866 and no more before, inbetween or after?
Keyboard86

Offline anngar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 March 12 19:26 GMT (UK) »
The baptism in 1866, is  extracted, ie someone has actually viewed this in the parish register and is on film/file,  Something is not quite right, ie can you find a marriage of a Henry to a Mary, can you locate a Henry Macey of potentially marrying age in 1851 or 1861 in the Southampton area, and why only children in 1861 and 1866 and no more before, inbetween or after?
Keyboard86

On Frederick's marriage record it says he was born in Southampton, England and his parents were Henry & Mary Macey.  A relative has a document for Henry saying his parents were Henry & Mary.  In a census  in Canada they list Frederick's birthday as 7 Feb 1866.  Henry we have born 10 April 1861.  Someone told me Thomas Hazard was a policeman from another county before being a Health Inspector in Southampton, Hampshire.  I wonder if Henry/Harry & Frederick came with him ( maybe a relative )to Southampton before being sent to Canada as a Home child.  I don't know if they had any other siblings.  The two boys were the only ones with the surname Macey on the ship Sarmatian in Aug of 1872.  In Henry's obit and bible from Sunday School in says he was from Southampton.  Maybe this is the last place they lived before they came to Canada.

Does the BMD record the birth date or the christening date?  Maybe William & Mary's Frederick's was christened in 1866 and Henry & Mary's Frederick was born in 1866.  Henry & Mary may have married somewhere else.

anngar

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 March 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
Yes Thomas Hazard was a policeman in the Southampton Borough Police force, the 1861 census, states this but by then he was living in Southampton, with his children, three of whom were born in Milford, Wiltshire, where in 1851 he was an agricultural  labourer. The newspaper articles also confirm this, because in 1865 he recorded as giving evidence in Southampton Police Court, where three lads (none of whom is a Macey) were charged with stealing iron scrap. This was around April 1st, 1865, but then in September of that year, there is a report of a Thomas Hazard being employed as a barrowman to carry people luggage at the Docks. (whether this is the same TH is anyone's guess because no ages are given-our TH was 43 by then)

Then in October 1865, there is first mention of a TH as a nuisance inspector giving evidence against someone plucking a ducks's feathers whilst the bird was alive, From then onwards up to 1871, there are frequent mentions of TH being involved in nuisance cases, but none as a police constable, and certainly none as a barrowman.  In September 1871, TH lost his job as an inspector, but by 1874, appears to have been re-appointed, because he loses it again, but then is reappointed because he loses it again in 1876, because in 1879 he is a porter in a workhouse-thje 1881 census states he is a gardener, and newspaper article in 1883, states he is a caretaker of the new theatre buildings.

Where was the Barnado Home in Southampton anyway, because TH appears to be a sort of foster father doesn't he. I can't find a marriage of Henry & Mary Macey locally.

TH seems to have arrived in Southampton sometime between 1853 & 1855, going on the births of the children in Free BMD and the census of 1861 & 1871.

On family search there is a baptism at Southampton All saints of a Alice Mary Hazard, 27 July, 1856, parents Thomas Hazard & Martha, which corresponds with Free BMD, Alice Mary June 1856 (HAZARD    Alice Mary        Southampton    2c   43), Edith Martha baptism, 29 December 1861 (All Saints),

Tom