Author Topic: Doriscourt Nursing Home Whalley Range  (Read 48132 times)

Offline Antoniariley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doriscourt Nursing Home Whalley Range
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
I looked on FreeBMD, which as the name implies is free to search - www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl   Just click on births, put in the name Whalley, mother's surname Ridgeway and under District click on Manchester (from 1939), leave Counties as All Counties.

There is a Robert Whalley, mother's surname Ridgway registered Apr-Jun quarter 1961, reference Manchester, vol 10e page 127.  If you want to buy the certificate you need to go to
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp and follow the instructions.  If you are not registered with GRO you will need to register, free to register, certificate will cost you £9.25. 

Of course, you don't need all that information to find a birth, marriage or death, just put in what you know, which is usually just a name and dates.  If that is not the right child, just do a search with every combination of names you've given me.

LizzieW how do i find some info using freembd.? I cant seem to work this site very well. Not sure if its because im using my phone and not a laptop xx

Offline Hettie99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 27 May 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Simark, I was also born at Doriscourt, a few years after you. I'm afraid I can't answer your question. As far as I know I was a single birth. However, I've always had a deep rooted feeling I was a twin and grew up constantly asking my mum if I was a twin. May I ask, were you both adopted separately or together? Did Mary Walsh inform your parents you were a twin? I understand if you prefer not to answer these questions. Wishing you all the best with your search for information. Many thanks.

Offline Golborne20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 03 July 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to the site so only just seen the posts about Doris Court Nursing Home and Mary Walsh. Mary was my mother in law. My husband Owen was born in the 1940's At Crumpsall Hospital and was adopted by Mary soon after his birth. We have his original birth certificate with his birth mothers details but no other information about his adoption.   He remembers growing up at Doris Court until being sent to school in Ireland. Mary passed away in Manchester in February 1994 aged 86.

Offline Hettie99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 21 August 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Golborne20, My birth mother remembered your husband. They were a similar age at the time she was at Doris Court and he very kindly helped her once. Is he the little boy pictured with Mary Walsh in the photographs listed earlier on in the chat? Kind regards

Offline Golborne20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 26 February 22 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hettie99. Owen is indeed the little boy in the photograph with Mary Walsh his mother. He doesn't know who the gentleman is but he is not related. Regards

Offline kel62

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 08:20 BST (UK) »
 was born there - then was moved to nazareth house in birkenhead on the wirral, it was run by nuns and a canon mchugh - then was adopted from there .

Offline Gooseberry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 24 July 22 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hello All
I'm one of twin boys that were adopted from DorisCourt in August/September 1958.
Does anyone remember anything about twin boys or DorisCourt generally at this time?

Hello Simark,
I have just registered on this site and hope this reply reaches you.
Although I cannot offer any information about your adoption, I myself was adopted from DorisCourt in December 1958. I can remember my adoptive parents telling me, that they were first offered twin boys but that family members had decided to take them. I have often thought about these twins and I am guessing, that maybe you are one of them. I do hope you had a happy adoption.
All best wishes

Offline Shell57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Saturday 19 November 22 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have not written for quite a while
I was adopted in 1957 and a few years ago I found my birth mother.. long story
Anyway she couldn’t really tell me anything I didn’t already know either because she had forgotten or simply didn’t want to tell me
To cut the story short, my wonderful mum ( not BM) told me my adoption was private also funnily enough by a nameless Dr
No money changed hands
The BM very unhelpful
Apparently she mysteriously knew my adopted name as it’s on the birth certificate she registered ( no fathers name) the BM was going to call me something else
She is Jewish as we’re my most loved parents
I spent a long time trying to find more details of Doris Court but no records
She told me (BM) that she was put to work and that Doris Court was a private home and she has no clue who paid
My mum told me that I was supposed to be going to another family but just before I was born the lady was diagnosed with something nasty so they literally got a phone call when I was 2 days old to come quickly if they wanted a baby
Apparently an anti semitic comment was made by whoever took them to see me
BM refuses to name my biological father
The relationship with her lasted a couple of years but we were strangers so I decided to pull away
Luckily I had the most idyllic childhood
Just wish I knew my health records and more about who really did arrange my adoption
Here to support anyone in any way
Lots more happened but I don’t want to write too much

Offline lib58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 26 November 22 23:16 GMT (UK) »
I would take a DNA Test if I was looking for answers.