Author Topic: Desperately Seeking Harry...  (Read 4304 times)

Offline KMT23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Desperately Seeking Harry...
« on: Saturday 24 March 12 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Here's my first post in relation to my THOMAS & OWEN family members. 

Henry/Harry Thomas was born 22-5-1866 in Llangadwaladr, the son of Robert and Margaret Owen Thomas.  All my family knows about him is that he was married and had a son, possibly also named Henry/Harry.  He was a farm laborer.  He is residing with his parents and siblings in Trefdraeth in the 1871 census.

His parents and some siblings in 1881 were residing at Baron Hill in Llangeinwen, but Harry isn't listed.  In the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census the family resides at Court in Dwyran.

I've attached our only known photo of Harry, probably taken around 1912.  Can anyone please provide any other info. on Harry, his wife, or son?  Thanks.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately Seeking Harry...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 12 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to Rootschat, I see the family were in Trefdraeth in 1871 is he then possibly the Henry Thomas aged 14 b Trefdraeth working for the Hughes family in Llangeinwen in 1881?
Census Ref RG11/5571/7/8
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMT23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Possibly.  I'm hoping perhaps someone who is a descendant or knows of him & his family from the Dwyran area can confirm facts about Harry, since all I have is guesses.  Thanks for your response.

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 12 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi KM23

My father, grandfather and g.grandfather were joiners in the village of Dwyran from the mid 1800's. up to about 1970. Being the woodworkers amongst such a small community included being the local funeral directors.
Amongst my father's records I can find funeral details that match two of your Thomas family as follows,

Robert Thomas of Bryn Hyfryd, Dwyran died 13th March 1955 aged 85 (therefore born 1870) was buried at Capel Dwyran on 16th March 1955
Catherine Thomas of Bryn Hyfryd, Dwyran died 25th. March 1958 was buried at Capel Dwyran on 27th.March 1958.

I remember this family for one reason - there was another member of the household called Harry Thomas - who worked as a labourer for my father at times.  He was certainly younger than the above two and I wonder if this is not the son of your Harry Thomas born 1866 in Llangadwaladr.

I left the village in 1967, but still have family there. Give me 24 hours to contact them to see if I can not establish some more info on this Harry Thomas.

Offline KMT23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 12 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, and thanks for the info. 

I believe you're speaking of Harry Owen Thomas, the son of Robert 'Bob' and Ruth Evans Thomas.  From my info. Harry Owen was born abt. 1905 in Llanidan and died 29-3-1984 in Dwyran.  He was 'slow' and held mainly general labor jobs and often worked with his father and brothers.  Several members of the family are buried in the C.M. Chapel in Dwyran.  Harry was featured in a BBC item because he dug his own grave, thinking it would save money.  I'd love to get a copy.

His father's death notice follows:

Obituary from the Herald Mon newspaper dated 22-3-1955: "Robert Thomas, Bryn Hyfryd and Pen Lon earlier. Age 85. Born and lived all his life in Dwyran. Stone mason. Member of Capel Dwyran and teacher in the Sunday School and a leader of Ty'n Goeden Ysgoldy (Sunday School) for years. Great bible reader who could remember most of the New Testament. Member of Aethwy District Council and a prime mover in getting the water supply in Bryngwyn Mawr area. Buried with his wife. Mourners included Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Morris Williams (daughter and son in law); Mr. and Mrs. Iowerth and David Thomas, Llansamel (son and daughter in law and grandchild); Harry O., Robert and Richard Thomas, (all of Dwyran) and John Thomas, Llanrwst (sons); T.E. Thomas (brother); Margaret Thomas (sister); Charles and Lewis Thomas, Mrs. P. Griffith, Waunfawr, Mrs. Tom Parry, Newborough and Mrs. R. and Mr. William Thomas, Bontnewydd, Jack Thomas and Mr. R. Thomas, Dwyran and Miss R. Roberts, Brynsiencyn, (nephews and nieces); Owen Thomas, Gaerwen, Miss E. Thomas, Malltraeth, Mr. W. Thomas, Dwyran, Mrs. M. Jones, Brynsiencyn, Mrs. Alford, Brynsiencyn (cousins)." -- END

Photo of Robert 'Bob' Thomas, attached.

Just so you know, the Thomas and Owen families repeated names within successive generations.  It's been a nightmare trying to figure out who's who!   

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi KMT23

Your last post has just confirmed information I received from my family in Dwyran overnight. So unable to add much else other than.
1. The Capel Dwyran Memorial Inscription Records issued by the Family History Society incorrectly records Harry O. Thomas as having died on 29th. March 1964 (instead of 1984 as you correctly mention)
2. Harry O. Thomas did indeed open his own grave, but true to his character got the size wrong - he would not have fitted in anyway.
3. I have very fond childhood memories of Harry O.  mainly because he was a brilliant mimic and entertained all of us with his take on anyone in the village.
Good luck with the rest of your search.

Offline KMT23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 March 12 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I've got lots more questions about my family in Dwyran, so we may correspond in the future.  Best wishes.