Author Topic: Who was Vera Crombie?  (Read 3410 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Who was Vera Crombie?
« on: Saturday 24 March 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Walter George Crombie was born on 21 September 1868 at Grandholm Lodge, Aberdeen and died in Croydon in 1944. He was the son of John Crombie and Jane Sang, and brother of John William Crombie MP (1858-1908).

Walter was almost certainly the one cited as co-respondent in the divorce case of Gerard Llewelyn Hope and Elizabeth Harrison Gardner in 1896.

In the 1901 census he is at 16 Streatham Hill, London, aged 32, living on own means, with wife Vera, aged 27, born Ireland.

There is a marriage of a Walter George Crombie in Wandsworth, September quarter to either Delia Sophia P Mulchirock or Sarah Annie Tapley, and a Delia S P Crombie died in Wandsworth in 1910, March quarter, aged 46. So far, so good.

But The Times carried the following advertisement on 15 February 1910: "Crombie. On the 13th inst, at 16 Streatham-hill, London, Delia S Patricia (Vera), the dearly-loved wife of Walter George Crombie."

I am completely confused by this. Are Vera and Delia one and the same? Delia's birth date according to her death certificate is exactly ten years before Vera's birth date according to the 1901 census.

Does the date of the marriage have anything to do with the death of Walter's elder brother? In other words, did big brother John have some hold over Walter that prevented him marrying Delia aka Vera until after John's death? (John left Walter the house he (Walter) lived in.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

(Walter seems to have remarried in 1918. His second wife was Eva M Lasker, who died in Croydon in 1947. She may have been the Eva Mary Lloyd who married Isidor Lasker in London in 1905, but I have failed to find her in the 1901 census so far.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Vera Crombie?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 12 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that Eva's maiden name was Lloyd. The marriage certificate lists her as 44, daughter of Richard John Lloyd. She was born in Liverpool and was living there in 1891 (RG12/2914).

My guess is that Vera was not the same person as Delia and that she may not have been married to Walter, but it is a guess. Do you think the surname is more likely to be Mulchinock?

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed! That is great. So Eva must have been the one married to Isidor Lasker. I wonder what happened to him, then? And why I can't find her in the 1911 census?

As far as Mulchinock or Mulchirock is concerned, I am only going by what is in FreeBMD so far, and the only reason for thinking that Delia and Vera were the same person is the death notice from The Times.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I would say that they were the same person because of the death notice. She may have lied about her age if she was several years older than Walter.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
She was also involved in a divorce  Delia Mulchinock

There is a marriage for a John Mulchinock 1884 Dublin - possible spouse Delia Blacquiere
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Delia Blacquiere married July/Sept.1884 Dublin South registration district to John J. Mulchinock (volume 2 page 651).

Can't see her birth in Ireland but registration started 1864 so perhaps born before that year.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, that is fantastic. Her age in the death index suggests she was born 1863/4.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 March 12 17:42 GMT (UK) »
6/7/1918 St Stephens Dulwich
Walter George Crombie 49 Wid Gentleman 30 The Avenue father John dec. Manufacturer
Eva Mary Lasker 44 widow same address father Richard John Lloyd Port Gauger dec.
Witnesses Thomas Jones & H.W.Bellhambert?

1881 census 13 Stuarts Road Tranmere Cheshire
Ralph S Royle Commercial Clerk Liverpool
Mary L 37 Birkenhead
Frank S 14 App. to Tea Merchant
Charles H 12
Thomas St. 10
Florence 8
George B4
Reginald 1
Florence Davis 17 visitor Oswstry Salop
Eva M Lloyd 7 Visitor Liverpool
Jennifer