Author Topic: Alice Wareing James  (Read 6407 times)

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alice Wareing James
« on: Saturday 24 March 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information regarding Alice Wareing James, who ran off with a "man from the theater" circa 1881-1885. 
Preston, Knockaun Township, Co. Mayo, Ireland; James, Martin, Wareing from Preston, Lancashire, England

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Wareing James
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 12 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I think we will need a but more information than that, do you know when and where she was born  ???

Also when she ran off, where was she.  ???
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 12 14:18 GMT (UK) »
19 cats - welcome to RootsChat. Your profile doesn't indicate where in the world you are, but I'm guessing it might be North America and that the person you're asking about was born Alice Wareing and married Mr James as you've put the maiden name as a middle name which we don't usually do here. I looked and found an Alice Wareing who married William Alfred James at St John Preston (LancashireBMD) in the December quarter of 1873 GRO reference Preston 8e 805 (FreeBMD), exact date 13 Dec 1873 (FamilySearch). On Family Search WAJ is 33 (ie born c1840) son of Edward, AW is 21 daughter of Thomas.

As you've put the dates 1881-1885 have you found her on the 1881 Census? If so please post a reference or address so that we've as much data as possible.

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 12 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the skimpy information.  Alice was born in 1851 in Preston.  She did marry William Alfred James in 1873 in Preston.  She appears on the 1881 census, but then drops off the face of the earth.  My grandmother, Norah Isabel, was the baby of the family and is shown living with her maternal grandmother in Preston in 1891.  It apparently was a huge scandal at the time.  The time frame of the disappearance is based only on my grandmother's mutterings toward the end -- "She shouldn't have left the baby."  I have always found the whole thing peculiar to say the least.  I can't imagine how a mill worker with three young girls would have had time to meet someone, let alone run off with him. 
Preston, Knockaun Township, Co. Mayo, Ireland; James, Martin, Wareing from Preston, Lancashire, England

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 12 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is this William Alfred JAMES in 1891?

1891  RG12/3437  f.13  p.19  Preston
48 Lovet Rd

Margary COTTAM        Head    Widw    73    Housekeeper               Lancs Goosnargh
Elizabeth GILBERTSON  Daur    M         45    Cotton Weaver                "    Preston     
William A JAMES           Son    Widw    39    Painter & Paper Hager        "    Preston

If so William says he is a widower so this could possibly be Alice's death,

Alice JAMES    Dec Q 1883    Preston    8e  388
Age at Death: 32

She would be the right age and I can't see another Alice JAMES of the right age living in Preston in 1881.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  I'm not sure how to tell if that's her or not.   Would you know if the death certificate would list a cause of death and who reported the death?  I'd be curious about the cause because she was so young.  The person or persons reporting the death might be a familiar name.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 March 12 17:05 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate will give the cause of death, also the informant  and the address where she died.

She shouldn't have left the baby."

She could possibly have died in  childbirth  :-\
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 March 12 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Preston Guardian 24th November, 1883
Deaths
Preston: since our last Alice James 32 of Primrose Hill.

I suspect her widowed mother Elizabeth Wareing and siblings were living at 8 Primrose Hill on the 1881 census.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 March 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I think this is definitely the correct Alice Wareing.  My grandmother moved to Primrose Hill following the disappearance of her mother and was living at 6 Primrose Hill when she married my grandfather, David Martin (who lived at 4 Primrose Hill).