Author Topic: MITCHELL/MICHELL? family  (Read 8003 times)

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MITCHELL/MICHELL? family
« on: Saturday 24 March 12 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching my Mitchell family line which in the 1871 census at Skelton in Cleveland stated that James and Grace Mitchell came from Ludgvan and their ages indicated thet they were born c 1844. After 2 years with a brickwall I finally found a J ames born in Marazion and ordered marriage cert which stated he married a Grace Johns in 1864 (the only Grace and James Mitchell marriage I could find). The thing is he is recorded as Michell living in Ludgvan and his father James Michell Wheelwright B 1813 was from Marazion is his father. When trying to trace this family back I had St Hilary, Marazion and Perranuthnoe as places they lived and especially in the 1700s Michell and Mitchell seemed to appear in the line? My questions are are name spellings like this interchangable and are these places feasible for the same family? I am not from Cornwall so this does confuse me a bit.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell/michell?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 12 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoffrey

If you want to know where a place is and others around it, I find the best
thing to do is put the name in your search engine and put Genuki at the
end of the name and County and it brings you the details of the place.
At the top it says nearby places and if you click on that it brings up
surrounding places up to and just beyond 5 miles.
I put Marizion and both Perranuthnoe and Ludgvan are 2 miles away.
People used to move to villages looking for work and walked it so it wasnt
too far in those days. 
Dont know if you have ever looked on FamilySearch.org which is a free site that
the Latter Day Saints do.  Your family is on there too.
Looks like James was born in 1846.  The surname looks the same but spelt differently
someone has missed the T out of it and it looks like two surnames which if probably
later became but it is more than likely the same family name.
regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MITCHELL/MICHELL? family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
the 1841 census has Marazion enumerated as part of St Hilary and some of the parish records for Marazion are in with the St Hilary ones around this time.

This map may help

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/MAPS/parish_map.pdf

Cornwall Online Parish Clerks have a database that you can search - tick for 'include nearby parishes' & 'include similar sounding names'

Possible marriage for the parents of James
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=marriages&id=553650

If you want to check the original parish records, theimages are on the new FamilySearch site

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2F13750775

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
thanks for those replies guys.Much appreciated. Am now trying to establish which John Michell/Mitchell from Marazion/St Hilary is James Michells(b1813) father. It appears his wife was Anne the marriage above is a good candidate. However there are a few Johns that could qualify so any ideas on sorting them out? I do appreciate all help and suggestions.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 March 12 23:03 BST (UK) »
have you tried building up a picture of the family by noting all the baptisms to the same parents? Have you checked the census to see if he is still alive in 1841?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
I have looked at Michell children born to John and Anne(apparently the marriage that you found) and there are 5/6 born between 1799 and 1814 including James which leaves a bit of a gap from the marriage in 1793.However there are 2 Mitchell children born 1794 and 1802 to John and Anne. I have looked extensively on the family search and CPC sites and this is the only John Michell/Anne marriage in the area at the time. So maybe these are all from the same parents.
Also assuming the John who was married in 1793 was 20+ years old I have found a John Michell born to Henry and Elizabeth in 1771 which would fit. Did all marriages and births get recorded?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 March 12 21:04 BST (UK) »
the records that you are looking at for this time are parish records, so there's the possibility of mistranscription or no transcription at all if you're relying on the opc. Which records are you using on Familysearch? IGI or the original images? It's possible that there were babies before the one in 1799 who didn't survive to be baptised or were baptised in a different parish or didn't have a parish baptism - plenty of non-conformity in Cornwall.

:-\

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 March 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
I had originally used the IGI but tried theoriginal records through the link which you left me. I had thought that John and Anne may be from a different parish altogether. But the difficulty there is I dont know Cornish social history well enough to predict where would be feasible. They seemed to have interchanged their employment names from farmer to labourer and back again. My guess is that they wernt big scale farmers but maybe worked a small plot. Would being landworkers make them more likely to stay in one parish and did people move about Cornwallin the 18th cent?
Are there non conformist records for Cornwall you can access online?

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 March 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Can I ask how far you looked on the IGI? There are hundreds of Michell and Mitchells
and they go way back to the early 1700's in St Hilary and surrounding areas. As I mentioned
earlier you have to piece it all together and keep on searching.  It can take a long time to
get the right family but its like putting a jigsaw together and also being a detective.
I looked at the Christening of James baptised 25th July 1813 with parents John and Ann
If you then look further down that page there is also a Ann Michell baptised that day
with same parents both at St Hilary. If you use your search engine you can search lots
of information on Cornwall and all the villages of Cornwall. You can also look at Ludgvan
Cornwall Genuki and as mentioned it tells you all the surrounding areas etc.
Doing family ancestry is a great hobby and you have to delve into the different sites
use the geography and history of the area with searches.
Try looking at IGI Batch numbers Cornwall, England and that will bring you the information
I have found but also if you cannot find a certain first name just put the surname in and
it brings up pages of all the Michells you are looking for.

Hope you find what you are looking for
regards Sandymc   
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown