Author Topic: Change of Terms at rootsireland.ie  (Read 15914 times)

Offline Thalliwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Change of Terms at rootsireland.ie
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks myluck!

Yes it looks like there is some more flexibility..
Halliwell, Latham, Davenport, McVeigh, McNally
Wigan, Crewe, Dungannon

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
The response to complaints seems to have changed a bit, I got the following today.

"The credit system is in its first phase of development. We take your opinions on board."

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 April 12 12:19 BST (UK) »
Well I decided to take the plunge.
I already had 1911 census details and knew bride's maiden name so found her in 1901 but thought I would still do it for my husband - his grandparents.
We now have marriage details telling us less than we already knew - fathers' first names are 'unknown' - just the surnames recorded.
We have the witnesses and date and it is nice to have that record rather than deductions though. :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 14 May 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
I just bought some credits - the cheapest  ;D  because I thought I would see an IMAGE of the record, but oh no!  They are charging for you to see the type of record you can get from Family Search and many other sites for FREE, basically its a transcription.

Pretty naffed off to be honest  >:(
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 May 12 14:59 BST (UK) »
in fairness the website does state on the homepage that the records they have are transcriptions, and not images.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 14 May 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
in fairness the website does state on the homepage that the records they have are transcriptions, and not images.

Shane

Well I didn't read the home page  ;D  I just jumped in and started to search, my own fault then.  I still think its pretty rubbish though.  I'll use up my credits and that will be it!
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 May 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
Particularly as its free at Irishgenealogy AND you get free access to parish images if available

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a8f2171323738

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 14 May 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
The parishes Irish Genealogy have are not included on RootsIreland - at least none that I can see...

The detail seems to catch out many people is that RootsIreland does not contain records for all counties, or even for all parishes in the counties they do cover - so I'd recommend a good check through the list of sources listed (even though it's not kept properly up-to-date) to see if the county, parish and dates you are interested in are available, before spending any money.

The counties, or part-counties, they dont cover include Kerry, Carlow, Clare, Dublin city, Cork city & West County Cork etc... they also dont include certain parishes in Co. Tipperary, only RC records in Louth and Waterford etc...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline MikeW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 June 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
Glad to see I'm not alone in avoiding/boycotting rootsireland/IFHF....A few years ago I joined on the strength of their advert, which then proclaimed(with bad English) that you could search umpteen millions of records "for free"....which was not true, because if you didn't make a purchase within a few hundred they would cut you off.
   They have copies of many (not all, by any means) records which CAN be found elsewhere ~ and nobody minds paying reasonable fees.
   Claiming their 'system' is "not-for-profit" does not alter the fact that it's another classic bit of rip-off Ireland.