Author Topic: Smiths Gypsy - Fareham, Farnborough, Middlesex  (Read 8854 times)

Offline akasha691

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smiths Gypsy - Fareham, Farnborough, Middlesex
« on: Sunday 25 March 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi I am tracing my husbands family tree, its family knowledge that his Dads side of the family were romany gypsys, my husbands great grandfather was Henry Smith born 1855 in Northolt in Middlesex, he lived with but never married Mary Ann Gates (non gypsy) they had about 17 children, all of them taking the name Gates. Henry's brother William born 1851 - 1935 ended up marrying his partner but not until they had had all of their children. He married Mary Jane Wares. OK Henry Smith's parents were Henry Smith born 1814 in Slough and Rebecca Corner 1820 born in Cowley, Middlesex. I cannot find Rebecca anywhere, there is a Esther Rebecca Corner on Ancestry but I dont think its her. i have reached a full stop with the Smiths, I wonder if they are related to the well known Smith Gypsy family. Can anyone help me or guide me as to where i go next.
Smith (gypsy), Gates, Were / Wear, Rainbow, Hemmings, - Farnborough / Hillingdon.
Warner, Barlow, Hampton, Carpenter - Staffordshire.
Musk, Murrell - Norfolk (Caston)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Smiths Gypsy - Fareham, Farnborough, Middlesex
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 April 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There was only two surnames of trade taken by Gypsies! one was Cooper the other Smith, the Smith Surname after Lee and Boswell can be found in all corners of the British Isles not  all of them are blood related,through a union or other a surname may have been adopted/changed for many reasons so a Smith in Yorkshire may not necessarily be related to a Smith say in Hampshire also the Surname was used by Irish Travellers and Gypsies other than a Romany.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline akasha691

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the help, so they could be Irish who changed their name? A lot of the family remember henry smiths wife and she always said they were Romany. So where do I go from here? His mum was Rebecca  corner and I can't find her anywhere. I only have a phone for Internet due to a burglary so am a bit limited.
Smith (gypsy), Gates, Were / Wear, Rainbow, Hemmings, - Farnborough / Hillingdon.

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The problem is that there are not many if any Romany Irish as the Romany never went to Ireland as the Irish Tinkers were doing the same jobs as the Romany folk, I beleave that those Romany who did go to Ireland did so from Scotland and the Scotish Roma even though Roma are of another Tribe ! there is also Scotish Travellers who are not Romany but akin to the Irish Travellers,another root may be that Irish Travellers are Roman Catholic and the English Romany are Protestant if they are any relgion if you now which it may help, it's a bit of a melting pot when it comes to Gypsies from which ever tribe they are from and do not forget the Welsh Romany slightly different again from the English.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline akasha691

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 12 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again
i now have Rebecca Corner and Henry Smiths marriage certificate, I have also spoken to a lot of family and no mention of coming from Ireland. They are already living in Hillingdon, my husband is from uxbridge so they hadn't travelled the generations afterwards. Henry Smiths dad was Joseph Smith who was deceased at the time, in 1846, he was was what looks like cornmaker or coanmaker its hard to read, Rebecca Dad was David Corner he was a brickmaker as was the groom. I watched Who Do You Think You Are the other about Tracey emmins, the gypsy expert said a lot of them gave up their heritage to come into 'normal' society, i am wondering if Henry did this. I haven't been able to find anything so far on Henrys Dad but am planning a trip to Hillingdon to see what I can find, i am still convinced they are gypsies because that has always been the family story, and this is gg grandparents who told it. but they definitely weren't Irish travellers. Its hard to know where to go next! but thanks for your help

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
It can be hard to trace our Gypsy roots some early members of my family had stopped travelling in the early 1800's and settled as a so called "Kairengro" but not always by choice my father ran away from lifestyle in the 1920's only to settle in a Town here in Kent where many over Romany and Gypsies had settled and the history never wained but was passed on down the lines so for me it has been easy to trace members by asking a friend or neighbour anyhow good luck on your quest and I hope you find what you seek.

Offline Bill20

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 16 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi I am tracing my husbands family tree, its family knowledge that his Dads side of the family were romany gypsys, my husbands great grandfather was Henry Smith born 1855 in Northolt in Middlesex, he lived with but never married Mary Ann Gates (non gypsy) they had about 17 children, all of them taking the name Gates. Henry's brother William born 1851 - 1935 ended up marrying his partner but not until they had had all of their children. He married Mary Jane Wares. OK Henry Smith's parents were Henry Smith born 1814 in Slough and Rebecca Corner 1820 born in Cowley, Middlesex. I cannot find Rebecca anywhere, there is a Esther Rebecca Corner on Ancestry but I dont think its her. i have reached a full stop with the Smiths, I wonder if they are related to the well known Smith Gypsy family. Can anyone help me or guide me as to where i go next.