Author Topic: ancestor julia whiston  (Read 11563 times)

Offline old nick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ancestor julia whiston
« on: Monday 26 March 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
am trying to trace information about julia whiston - b circa 1816 (possibly in wicklow) d circa 1871  married to john gaskin of springhill carlow. any help much appreciated.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ancestor julia whiston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 January 14 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, was looking at a few things and found a marriage on rootsireland.ie between John Gaskin and a Julia in 1850 county Wicklow but her last name does not come up as Whiston.I also came upon this birth of John Whiston on 12 June 1878 to John Whiston and Mary Elizabeth Gaskin and wonder could they be related to the people you seek. Looking at Griffiths Valuation which covers 1848-1864 the only John Gaskins appear in co Wicklow. There are none in co Carlow. Maybe you should look more in county Wicklow as that seems to be where both names are showing up.Hope this helps,Kim

Offline old nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 January 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello blemdookie - and thanks for your reply which I have just picked up. I believe you are right about these two surnames re my ancesters (whom I have still not found) and also agree with you that the place to look may indeed be Wicklow - there are many of both surnames in that county. These are the only two ancestors whose B and M I cannot seem to find - they must be there somewhere but their B's and M were both pre civil-registration. The 'John Whiston you give I know about and have his history. I believe him to be connected to Julia in some way but so far no dice as said. Elizabeth Gaskin was my Great Aunt and I have some of her history, but her birth, like her mother and father's was pre civil registration.

Sincere thanks to you for sending me this information - it is much appreciated.  O/N.

Offline dcodriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Old Nick, I'm a descendant of John Gaskin of Cappalug and Julia Whiston and working on both these families. Would be good to compare notes. Think Julia may have come from Ballyflanagan, near Arklow.

Cheers.

Offline dcodriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Old Nick, I got your PM but as I've only just joined rootschat I cant reply until I've at least another two posts! To answer your question, John and Julia's daughter Eliza 'Gascon' married Michael Lyons of Clonmore, and I descend through that line. John Gaskin was apparently originally from Springfield, co. Carlow, which I've not yet been able to identify yet, though there is a Springhill near Rathnapish, Carlow. The route I'm currently looking at is whether John is a son of Pat Gaskin of Wellington Quay Square, Carlow, who was apparently a baker; they would also seem to be closely related to the McWey family of Carlow town and Sleaty. There is a also a Mary Gaskin of Cappalug who married a John Whiston on 16 June 1874; I think she is a sister of Eliza, but that against needs to be confirmed. Not gone through all the resources yet, so other things might pop out. Regards, D.

Offline old nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hello again dcodriscoll - I received your most interesting post just now. I have researched the Gaskin (Gason) Lyon line and seem to have the same info as yourself. But I have not  been able to find any link of John Gaskin to Springfield and have no idea as to how he and Julia came to Cappalug. However I do have info re their decendents.

I have heard of one Pat Gaskin, a baker, through someone who was conducting a search into his lineage - but have not found him, only a Pat Gaskin from, I believe, Athy, near to Killeshin.

Mary Elizabeth Gaskin is indeed a sister of Eliza and therefore daughter to John and Julia. Phew!! The details you have given re their marriage etc, is correct.

If and when you are able to reply more - I may be able to help you a little with info. By the way - I have emailed a person in the States, some time ago now, her husband was of the Eliza Gason and Michael Lyons line. Do you know of this branch of the Lyons family.

Regards O/N

Offline bettyeryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My name is betty ryan and I am a daughter of Bridget Ryan Nee Gaskin from Cappalug, I have a family tree if you are interested, I know a lot of the names you have mentioned
thanks
betty

Offline old nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello bettyryan - I believe we are cousins! Your mother was called 'Bid' I recall and she was my mother's first cousin, your mother's father, Edward and my mother's father,Thomas, were brothers. I have written-up a very large Gaskin history project and am in the process of finalizing it. I believe I said that one of your brothers could have a copy.
The person I have no history of is Julia Whiston, married to John Gaskin. I have John's death certificate but not Julia's, although she is said to have died circa 1870. I have found-out so much of what I was told is not strictly true - memories and word of mouth can be unreliable - although family lore is relatively easy to unravel when you know how. At the start of this project, I knew 'nowt'!
Regards, old nick.

Offline bettyeryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

our family of which there are 10 got all the graves cleaned about 3 years ago and we got the one on the barrow track cleaned and I have a photo of it with Julia Gaskins name on it and John Gaskin, can you tell me who you mum was , do you live in Ireland ??