Author Topic: ancestor mary 'minnie' byrne  (Read 8101 times)

Offline old nick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ancestor mary 'minnie' byrne
« on: Monday 26 March 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find when and where mary byrne was born, I believe circa 1887,  and who her parents were. I believe they may have been from kilmorony. have tried for ages and am totaly banjaxed.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: ancestor mary 'minnie' byrne
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 12 10:20 BST (UK) »
It might be an idea to start with a search for slightly more recent details...

do you have Mary's marriage record ?

It should show her father's name and occupation which should help. The surname Byrne is very common in Ireland - particularly in Co. Carlow and Wicklow so you need all the clues you can get to find the correct Mary..

See :  Introduction to Irish Records
          My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline old nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
shanew147 - thank-you for your reply - I do have marriage cert and her father was Thomas, mother maria, its the birth details which I cannot find. have tried records office in Rosscommon - so far, no dice.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
The closest match that I see so far to the location name are the townlands of Killenora and Kilmurry.. either of these sound familiar ?

your problem is finding the 'right' Mary Byrne ... there are quite a few Mary Byrnes born in the Carlow registration district between 1885 and 1889 - see : Mary Byrne births, Carlow district

Note - parts of Co. Carlow are covered by other registration districts - i.e. Baltinglass, Enniscorthy, New Ross & Shilleagh.

Did Mary marry in Ireland ?
If so what places of residence do Mary and her husband have on the marriage record ?

p.s. do you have Thomas's occupation from the cert ?
might help find him on the 1901 census...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:05 BST (UK) »
Is she the Minnie who is boarding with the Sheas in Rathellen?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Carlow/Leighlinbridge/Rathellen/1043018/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
I was crossing my fingers she would have been with her family on a census return... hopefully with an unusually named sibling!  (i.e. easy to find a birth reference for)

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find when and where mary byrne was born, I believe circa 1887,  and who her parents were. I believe they may have been from kilmorony. have tried for ages and am totaly banjaxed.

just found a townland named Kilmorony in Co. Laois... the registration district for this is Athy. Will check to see how close it is to Co. Carlow..

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 March 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
The townland of Kilmorony, Co. Laois is about 13 km north of Carlow town and just west of the road between Carlow town and Athy. It's part of Tankardstown civil parish and very close to the Co. Kildare border.

Google Map : Kilmoroney townland - Carlow town

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline old nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 March 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thank-you to all who have replied to me - you have given me things to consider and explore. This lady was my grandmother and married to thomas gaskin - lived castledermot, strawhall, leagh. Perhaps I should explain, sorry am new to this, I have her on the 1901 and 1911 census in Cappanamrogue, Shrule, but it is her birth and earlier family details of which I know nothing. Her mother and father vanish on the 1911 census, not sure if they died or were elsewhere. Two brothers, James and Thomas, don't know what happened to them either.
regards - old nick.