Author Topic: Marriage Records in Victoria 1840s  (Read 11765 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Records in Victoria 1840s
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 29 March 12 05:11 BST (UK) »

majm
I have noticed that Philip Monaghan,thought to be brother of Catherine who arrived on "Alexander" in 1841,died at Geelong 1889 #7584 aged 82.
My concern is that I have the correct Catherine from Cavan as destinct from the same name arriving 1842 born Galway.
The 1893 death registration for Catherine simply states she was born Ireland so that does not help.

Rex

The Philip Monaghan who died, aged 82 at Geelong in 1889 (born circa 1807/8) does NOT seem to be the same chap who arrived on the same vessel as a Catherine Monaghan in Dec 1841.   The passenger list for that vessel has the chap as aged 21 (born circa 1820)  I feel confident that any official sighting the chap on the Dec 1841 voyage would notice that huge of age difference (either 21 or in mid 30s) among the 33 unmarried males onboard and basically aged in their 20s or younger (see pg 5 & 6 of the online manifest).   

I have had a quick look online for background to Co Cavan, and notice there’s around 30 Towns in that county in Ireland.   There’s nothing on the incoming passenger list to show which of those localities within Co Cavan that either Philip Monaghan aged 21 or Catherine Monaghan aged 17 were from.

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 31 March 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Merlin
Can I please refer you again to records you gave covering 1853 baptisms at Saint Mary of the Angels Geelong ref. 94/5/6/7 all with the surname Mergan.I know them as children of Henry Davis and Catherine Monaghan.I assume the four were baptised at the same time.I expect the births were in prior years.Are they baptisms on the birth index.Do you think Davis may not have been the father?
This is a puzzle.

Thanks
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
majm
I now have the birth registration #11925 dated 8 Aug 1858 for Thomas Morgan ( not Davis).
His father is given as Henry Morgan---shoemaker aged 37 birthplace London.He was married 1844 Portland Bay Victoria.8 living issue are listed.They tally with my Davis records.
The mothers name is given as Catherine Morgan,maiden name Monaghan.
She is aged 36 and she was born Town of Cavan Ireland.
The informant was Henry Morgan,father,shoemaker of Indented Head.
The birth was registered 4 Sep 1858 Bellarine.

This indeed a mystery.
It would seem Morgan became Davis.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 25 May 12 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hello majm and MERLIN
I am still trying to resolve why certain records for the family of Henry Davis sometimes indicate that he was instead Henry Morgan.
A son Thomas was registered as Thomas Morgan at birth 1858 #11925 Indented Head but died as Thomas Davis Oct 1904 Eaglehawk#11253.

Baptism records from St Mary of the Angels Geelong for a number of siblings alternate the surname Davis and Morgan.
So far as I know the large family was always known as Davis.

Catherine Monaghan (with variations) is consistantly recorded as the mother.

Henry and Catherine are supposed to have married C1842 Portland Bay (recorded on children's birth records).

??? ???
Rex

Offline BaronBosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 25 May 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
interesting.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 01:11 BST (UK) »
Wow,

Well even today it is not against the law to register a child's birth in a surname that is neither the father's nor the mother's.  Mind you, not a lot of people actually register a child's birth in a different surname from that of the parents (or at least a combination of those two surnames).    It is also still NOT against the law to 'become known' by a name that is different from your birth registration names.   Mind you, it is a lot harder today than in the 19thC to be officially recognised by your 'new' name by the various government agencies that PAY out funds. Although I understand that the Taxation office has no difficulties in receiving money from anyone with a 'new' name.

There can be lots of reasons for people changing their surname....  and providing they are not attempting to deceive or etc then there's not any crime in changing it.  It is just there to tantalise and confuse family history buffs  ::)    I gather there is absolutely NO mention on Thomas' 1858 birth for DAVIS?  And you are keen to know where/when/why the change of name....  All I can say is that there was NO real need for anyone to demand to know those answers back in that era, and in my humble opinion it was often simply because of the lack of literacy that the apparent alterations were not picked up when they occurred.

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hello JM
The mystery continues.Thanks for your suggestions.
I agree that it was easily done and we may never know why.

One interesting fact was that on exactly the same day as Thomas was born,four of his siblings were baptised with the name variation.A job lot.
However despite the different name on baptism,they all went through life using the name Davis.
I believe Thomas who married a distant relative of mine,married as Davis.
I must check to see what names were used at the birth of his children.

Such is life.

Thanks for your continuing interest.
Rex

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rex,

I might be far too late, but have you made any progress since? This is my husband's family. He's a descendant of Maria Davis born 1849. I'm not at all convinced by the suggested ancestors for Henry I have seen on Ancestry or Find a Grave. I'm not making much progress though.

Kelly.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kells
So far as I am concerned , this query remains unsolved.
I am still trying to resolve why certain records for the family of Henry Davis sometimes indicate that he was instead Henry Morgan.
A son Thomas was registered as Thomas Morgan at birth 1858 #11925 Indented Head but died as Thomas Davis Oct 1904 Eaglehawk#11253.

Baptism records from St Mary of the Angels Geelong for a number of siblings alternate the surname Davis and Morgan.
So far as I know the large family was always known as Davis.

Can you help further>

Catherine Monaghan (with variations) is consistantly recorded as the mother.

Henry and Catherine are supposed to have married C1842 Portland Bay (recorded on children's birth records).