Author Topic: Marriage Records in Victoria 1840s  (Read 11711 times)

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Records in Victoria 1840s
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Nice to make your acquaintance. I've seen all the information about the baptisms of the children online and the alias they used and I'm no closer to working anything out either.

I would have thought that a marriage for Victoria in 1842 would have been recorded in a church register at least, possibly kept in NSW, but it seems nothing has turned up so far?

When Maria Davis married William Doherty in 1867 she gave her birthplace as Belfast (Port Fairy). Quite a distance from Indented Head.

Given there is no clear arrival in Australia for Henry, I was exploring the possibility of him being a convict. I've got nothing I can substantiate though.

I think Catherine was a little easier to work out, although I've found nothing in Cavan. I'm not convinced that Henry's parents are James and Charlotte nee Coles as so many other public records have (i.e. Ancestry trees). There are several potential candidates for Henry Davis in London baptism records. I'm not sure if I should be looking for Henry Morgan as well.

I'm in SA so I can't get to any primary sources in VIC but I'm keen to resolve this mystery also.

Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kells
Are you familiar with this site which embraces Davis genealogy?
I have revisited my data and wondered if it offers an answer to our query.
I couldn't see the marriage of Maria Davis and William Doherty.

ccd185.magix.net/public/index.html
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes I have digested that site fully, the research seems quite sound so I have taken a lot from it. Its definitely food for thought. I'm still not clear on Henry's origins or the reason behind the name variant though.

Maria married William Doherty 21 April 1867 at Daylesford. They had 8 children and ended up in the Kerang area. I can't seem to find the marriage certificate but I am sure I have seen it.

Kelly.
Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 14 March 19 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kells
I wonder if we are confusing Davis with Doherty.
There is a marriage 1867 William Dohorty = Maria Davis,

William is a s/o John Doherty and Mary Cunningham b14Apr 1845 d1886 Kerang.

Should I be correct , their children were:

William henry 1872 Bullarook
John Henry 1877 Inglewood
Thomas Andrew 1879 Kerang
Ellen 1883 Kerang

There might be confusion with another Davis family.
This one is Doherty who married Davis.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 14 March 19 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rex,

No confusion on my part. Maria Davis was a daughter of Henry Davis and Catherine Monaghan. My husband is a descendant of Maria through her daughter Ellen (Doherty).

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 14 March 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kells.
I think I have it straight now.
My mother (Doris Wyatt ) went to school in Kerang.
My connection to Davis is fairly distant.My maternal grandmother was reared
by her Hendy grandparents .Thomas Davies married a Georgina Margaret Hendy.1890 Sandhurst.

Thanks for your trouble.

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 15 March 19 08:51 GMT (UK) »
That's still a connection you have. All of my husband's relatives on his mother's side were in the Kerang and Bendigo areas before moving up to the Riverina in NSW. His grandmother only died recently, well into her 90s. I am interstate so not able to get around to any of these places.

Nice to make the connection with you. I guess we shall keep having a go with Davis until something turns up.