Author Topic: Marriage Records in Victoria 1840s  (Read 11712 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Records in Victoria 1840s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much majm,deeiluka and MERLIN for your valued contributions.
Perhaps before directly answering some of your questions,I need to say that the death registration #6404 for Henry Davis dated 20 Mar 1896 for which I have a copy,shows that he died Meering via Kerang Victoria aged 78.I believe a son William was the informant.
Portion of this document says that he was married Portland Bay aged 2? to Catherine Monaghan.
Under the heading of issue was:
Annie 51
Elizabeth 48
Marie  dec.
William 44
Henry ?42
John 40
Catherine 38
Thomas 36
Helen  dec.
Alice  dec.
James 30

Catherine snr had died Nov 1895 #14339
The ages of her issue equate.

Having retrieved a copy of his Will,I discovered that his son James was the sole beneficiary.

I don't have birth registrations for all of the children but know that some of the children were born Geelong,Indented Head and Bulldog Diggings.

I hope this helps.

Rex

Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
majm
I have copies of the passenger list "Alexander" showing both Catherine and Philip who I think must be her brother,both from Cavan.
I am puzzled by the possibility of the same Catherine arriving on the "Regulus" in 1842.
I need to clarify this.I thought the "Alexander" arrived 1841.
I wonder if she was transhipped?

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I think it is clearly TWO lasses, both Irish, both named Catherine Monaghan, both 17, both Roman Catholic, BUT one from Cavan and one from Galway.   My concern is that both were landed in Victoria, within weeks of each other, so that when you are searching for a marriage or for children to a Catherine Monaghan, you need to be alert to the possibility that there were TWO possible lasses with that name.

The Alexander arrived Dec 1841, and the Regulus arrived Feb 1842.  The images for the passenger lists for both vessels on those particular voyages are easy to freely search via the NSW SRO link that I provided earlier. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hello majm
I did notice that the Catherine Monaghan appears to have someone else travelling with her.
Assuming I have the right Catherine on the "Alexander",she must have had her brother with her.They were both from Cavan.
The Catherine on "Regulus" is cited as coming from Galway.
So I need to ensure that I have the correct Catherine.
I have not discovered anything further about a brother Philip.
I hoped to trace the family back to Cavan.
Unless I am mistaken,there is also a location Monaghan.

Rex

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

On your other thread you give the date and place for the elusive 1842 marriage as detailed on the VIC bc for their son James.   You can from that bc read who was that informant and thn look for a bc for James older siblings bcs looking for that same informant on one of those bcs and check if they supplied same date and place.  That should give you confidence in the marriage info.

However even if you fine the marrriage cert it is most likely it will not include much info tohelp as it would be unusual for any 1842 MSW mc to note where the bride or groom were born ortheir parentage nor in many instance even their age.  Usually you get scant info from those pre civil Early Church Records... eg   Henry Davis barchelor/widow of this parish by banns/licence married Catherine Monaghan of this parish and the full date in words then according to the rrites of ... the denomination followed by signatures of the groom then the bride and then the witnesses.  You may find the name of the person giving consent so perhaps IF Mrs Henry Davis was the lass from the 1841 Alexander then PERHAPS Philip was a witness.. Or perhaps Mary es Regulus was a witness ... 

In any case either of the TWO Catherine Monaghan girls were in VIC in time for them to be joining a chap with whom they may have known of before the girls emigrated as the marriage seems to be 10 March 1842...at Portland.   Perhaps the clergy chose not to provide his parish registers to the NSW RC authorities in Sydney or perhaps the seamail was lost en route to Sydney.

So I suggest you look for all the Monaghan / Munaghan arivals on for before late Feb 1842 including perhaps possible widows travelling with possible younger siblings for Catherine/Catharine /Kate...

Cheers JM. (2 fingerntyping from e reader so sorry  for poor spelling ... 8 fingers on puter work better ... but I am not at favourite puter)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
Another thought or two

From the dcs for Catherine and for Henry .... HOW LONG in the colonies  and does that point to any earlier arrival for Catherine rather than Dec 1841  or Feb 1842... Similar for Henry....

Could Catherine perhaps have come with parents siblings etc say in the 1830s perhaps to another port?  Could the London born shoemaker, Henry Davis have been on the UK 1841 Census? Perhaps departing London shortly afterwards?

Also have you looked for Henry and household in the partial hoiseholder returns of the NSW 1841 NSW Census Index at NSWSRO online?

Cheers Clunky JM using a stylus thingy to pick keyboard keys

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
Baptisms & Births for the children of Henry & Catherine:

Any wonder they were so hard to find registered under all these differing names ::)

MIRGAN Elizabeth bapt. 1853 #94
Father: Henry
Mother: Catherine MONAGHAN
Birth Place: INDE
Reg Number: 94
Denomination: ROMAN CATHOLIC
Parish: ST MARYS, GEELONG
Fiche: 1136

MIRGAN Elizabeth
Baptism: 08 Aug 1853
Place: SAINT MARY OF THE ANGELS CATHOLIC, GEELONG
Father: Henry Mirgan
Mother: Catharine Monaghan

--------------------

MIRGAN Maria bapt. 1853 #95

MIRGAN Maria
Baptism: 08 Aug 1853
Place: SAINT MARY OF THE ANGELS CATHOLIC, GEELONG
Father: Henry Mirgan
Mother: Catharine Monaghan

--------------------

MIRGAN William bapt. 1853 #96

--------------------

MIRGAN Henry bapt. 1853 #97

--------------------

DAVIS Jno b. 1855 #4407
Father: Hy
Mother: Catharine MONAGHAN
Birth Place: INDENTED HEAD

--------------------

DAVIS Catherine b. 1857 #2157
Birth Place: INDENTD HD

MORGAN Catherine
Baptism: 08 Mar 1857
Place: SAINT MARY OF THE ANGELS CATHOLIC, GEELONG, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA
Father: Henry Morgan
Mother: Catherine Monegan

--------------------

MORGAN Thomas b. 1858 #11925
Birth Place: INDENTED HEAD

--------------------

DAVIS Ellen b. 1860 #19549
Mother: Catherine MONAHAN

--------------------

DAVIS Alice b. 1862 #12835

MORGAN Alice
Baptism: 17 Aug 1862
Place: SAINT MARY OF THE ANGELS CATHOLIC
Father: Henry Morgan
Mother: Catherine Monahan

--------------------

DAVIS James b.1864 #24409
Birth Place: BULL

--------------------

I haven't found Annie yet  :-\

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Merlin.
Well done.It does make it difficult.
You have found all of the family with the exception of their first born.
Can I take it that these are church records with baptisms #94 throuh to #97 at St Mary of the Angel in Geelong?
Considering seven are recorded with variations of the mothers name Monaghan,can you give a possible explaination?

It is possible that the first born could have been known as Mary Ann and was born C1845 in the vacinity of Portland Bay.Both death registrations Catherine 1893 and Henry 1896 give the first born as Annie.
I have found a marriage 1865 to a John Minihan #414 and a number of children born Mt Prospect and Creswick.Indeed a tangle.

The birth registration #24409 1864 indicates that his father married 10 Mar 1842 Portland Bay.I am yet to find a marriage record.
The death registration for Henry Davis in 1896 also states that he married Portland Bay.

I hope that this is not too confusing.

Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
Another thought or two

From the dcs for Catherine and for Henry .... HOW LONG in the colonies and does that point to any earlier arrival for Catherine rather than Dec 1841 or Feb 1842... Similar for Henry....

Could Catherine perhaps have come with parents siblings etc say in the 1830s perhaps to another port? Could the London born shoemaker, Henry Davis have been on the UK 1841 Census? Perhaps departing London shortly afterwards?

Also have you looked for Henry and household in the partial hoiseholder returns of the NSW 1841 NSW Census Index at NSWSRO online?

Cheers Clunky JM using a stylus thingy to pick keyboard keys

JM
I looked at your suggestions earlier this morning.
I don't think the information on the certificates is necessarily conclusive.
The death registration for Catherine in 1893 states that she was 52 years in Victoria.This equates to an arrival C1841.A grandson was the informant.It also states that they married Geelong.

The 1896 death registration for Henry,I think reads 47 years in Aust. Colonies (doesnt mention Victoria).This equates to an arrival c1849.I don'think this could be correct.
His son William was the informant.The document does say Henry married Portland Bay.

I have not been able to check the 1841 UK Census or the 1841 NSW Index.

I have nothing to indicate Catherine came earlier.

Thank you.
Rex