Author Topic: Marriage Records in Victoria 1840s  (Read 11776 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Records in Victoria 1840s
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 March 12 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Rex

May I ask please re 52 years on Mrs Ds dc

You have at reply 9 that her death was Nov 1895 with ref 14339... and at reply 17 you give 1893 ... is it possible she arrived 1843/44? 

What a lot of offline work that Merlin has done to find those births/baptisms for you.  Well Done Merlin.

Rex, the NSW SROs online indexes include that 1841 resource ... it is not complete.

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 March 12 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Trying to think 'outside the square' here, from my armchair....

The NSW BDM online index includes at their Early Church Records, Roman Catholic marriages at Geelong, Vic under the district code of LS, and under the code LR there's Roman Catholic marriages at St Francis, Melbourne....

So, if I search the NSW BDM online index, using the years 1835 - 1855, the district code LR and the keyword cath?rine there's over 50 brides, and at the LS code there's just 2.   

Also, I notice from Merlin's post that Henry's surname would seem to have been MIRGAN, as Catherine's nee is recorded as Monaghan on those baptisms #94 - #97.   I wonder if the marriage register for St Marys is extant?  Perhaps the marriage for Catherine is in that register.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 March 12 02:52 BST (UK) »

Catherine snr had died Nov 1895 #14339

???

From records I have here that death reg is allocated to:

JOHANSEN Ingvoll age 33yrs d. 1895 MELBOURNE EAST #14339
Father: Unknown
Mother:    -

This appears to be Catherine's:

DAVIS Cath age 70yrs d. 1893 KERANG #14669
Father: Unknown
Mother:    -

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 March 12 03:34 BST (UK) »
Re 1841 NSW and the district of Port Phillip

A quick skim, and I notice there’s a Henry DAVIES in the District of Port Phillip

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=18

Cheers,  JM

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 March 12 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Trying to think 'outside the square' here, from my armchair....

The NSW BDM online index includes at their Early Church Records, Roman Catholic marriages at Geelong, Vic under the district code of LS, and under the code LR there's Roman Catholic marriages at St Francis, Melbourne....

So, if I search the NSW BDM online index, using the years 1835 - 1855, the district code LR and the keyword cath?rine there's over 50 brides, and at the LS code there's just 2.

Also, I notice from Merlin's post that Henry's surname would seem to have been MIRGAN, as Catherine's nee is recorded as Monaghan on those baptisms #94 - #97. I wonder if the marriage register for St Marys is extant? Perhaps the marriage for Catherine is in that register.

Cheers, JM

Sorry
I cannot explain the surname MIRGAN.
Catherine Davis definitel died 12 Nov 1893 and Reg.#14339 applies so 1895 was in error.
The informant was Michael Kirk,grandson.
This document clearly states 52 years in Victoria.? this equates to arrival C1841.It also states that she married Geelong Victoria (death reg. for Henry states Portland Bay).She was 18 when she married ( ? 17 on passenger list 1841) and she married Henry Davis.
Her first born is given as Annie then aged 48.? this equates to Annie having been born C 1845.

I agree that the 1841 NSW Census has a Henry Davis living at South Head Rd,Alexandria,Cumberland,Sydney.I guess this could be him.

Thanks again to Merlin for confirming Catherine died 1893 not 1895.

Well done by both of you.
Now if I can only find the marriage and birth of Annie.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 March 12 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Rex,

The District of Port Phillip was that part of NSW in 1841 that we know is Victoria.   There's a Henry DAVIES (not Davis) on that index, "in the township Melbourne, County Bourke, District Port Phillip"   This is a completely different entry to the Henry Davis on South Head Road, in Sydney that you are mentioning.   

Have you considered downloading Thomas MORGAN's civil birth registration that Merlin found (b 1858, #11925, father as Henry and mother as Catherine Monaghan, with birth place as Indented Head)....   It should give when and where the parents married  :)  (and lots of other family history info too)

Could you check the rego number please on your copy of the Nov 1893 dc for Catherine Davis .... is the rego number 14339 or is it 14669. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 March 12 04:45 BST (UK) »
majm
I have noticed that Philip Monaghan,thought to be brother of Catherine who arrived on "Alexander" in 1841,died at Geelong 1889 #7584 aged 82.
My concern is that I have the correct Catherine from Cavan as destinct from the same name arriving 1842 born Galway.
The 1893 death registration for Catherine simply states she was born Ireland so that does not help.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 March 12 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Rex,

The District of Port Phillip was that part of NSW in 1841 that we know is Victoria. There's a Henry DAVIES (not Davis) on that index, "in the township Melbourne, County Bourke, District Port Phillip" This is a completely different entry to the Henry Davis on South Head Road, in Sydney that you are mentioning.

Have you considered downloading Thomas MORGAN's civil birth registration that Merlin found (b 1858, #11925, father as Henry and mother as Catherine Monaghan, with birth place as Indented Head).... It should give when and where the parents married :) (and lots of other family history info too)

Could you check the rego number please on your copy of the Nov 1893 dc for Catherine Davis .... is the rego number 14339 or is it 14669.

Cheers, JM
JM
The reg. Number could easily be 14669.The numbers are badly formed but after magnification it does look more like 14669.
I agree we might need to purchase the civil birth registration for thomas Morgan born 1858 #11925 as this might help solve who is who.

Thanks
Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 March 12 05:07 BST (UK) »
majm
Confirming that the Death Index for Catherine Davis shows #14669 1893 Kerang.her name given as Cath. Davis parents unknown.

Rex