Author Topic: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!  (Read 21379 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with linking me to a 1000 year old Cardigan lineage!!!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 September 13 23:40 BST (UK) »
The way I can find it is to search for- "archive.org" + "y cymmrodor" + "david jenkin morgan"
This should only yield one result.Open it and there should be a tab "see other formats".Use this an d then "full text".When this opens use edit/find on this page and use the search term -nephew.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 September 13 00:44 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you are right-his Cefncoed address is adjacent to Trewyddel and in Llandisilio sub district/Aberayron district.
The other Cefncoed is in Llangunllo parish/ Llandyssil sub district/Newcastle Emlyn district.
They are obviously contemporary on the 1901 census.
The 1901 census has him born in Llangunllo,but he is clearly not living there.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 September 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
However...
The address Cefncoed next to Trewyddel does not exist on censuses until he occupies it in 1901.
Perhaps he built(?)/named it after his childhood home and John and Sara are his parents.They are certainly a suitable age and his occupation is correct.

Regards
Roger

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 September 13 01:49 BST (UK) »
Cant believe I'm still up but yes I was just considering your posts and was thinking the exact same thing! Thanks for your attention at this ungodly hour!

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 September 13 01:59 BST (UK) »
Re: James Davies, its nice to know another name in the family, I also know of 2 other descendants of this family, neither from Dafydd Siencyn/Jenkin Morgan as he was childless, I believe. He did marry but I do not have any record of his wife, but one of the articles mentions that his wife predeceased him by quite some years.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 September 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
I have a little more data,some of which makes sense,some needs further examination.

Sarah James(c.1818) certainly had three siblings,Mary(c.1816),Elinor(c.1821) and Rachel(c.1824)
The records up to Elinor give Nantpopty(or similar).The record for Rachel gives Pen yr Allt as per the address for Sarah at marriage.

Looking at the family of John,Sara and Hanna(h) at Cefencoed,Llangunllo in 1841/1851 the record at FamilySearch for Hannah's baptism which might make sense is a non conformist one-in particular the 1821 record for John Jones and Sarah Davies

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X1TR-R8Z

I can find elsewhere a record that matches this,the abode is given as Nantpopty(!),but despite the  transcription title being John Jones,the name on the record is Owen Owens.It appears he has been anglicised.

It is supposition of course that this is a relevant family at all,but if it is,this may have significant implications in trying to trace the connection you are looking for.

Regards
Roger

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 September 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
Oh wow it would appear that you have found Sara's original surname, that being Davies. Assuming correct, then I now have the full names of Thomas and Sarah's mothers which I did not know, only a couple of days ago! Thank you.

I can find elsewhere a record that matches this,the abode is given as Nantpopty(!),but despite the  transcription title being John Jones,the name on the record is Owen Owens.It appears he has been anglicised.

It is supposition of course that this is a relevant family at all,but if it is,this may have significant implications in trying to trace the connection you are looking for.

On consideration of the above, Natypobty was the address of the James family, not the Jones family of Cefncoed? Sounds a bit erroneous? Because the name on the record is Owen Owens, I would have thought that has been made in error, as Owen Owens is not an anglicization of John Jones it is? The name of John Jones is already anglicized - I would expect within a few generations further back there would be Welsh patronymic??

The name Owen Owens is also anglicized form of Owain, not John? Or am I confused? There is a lot of names in this thread mind! :)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 September 13 18:15 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't say the parents of Thomas are known yet.What I proposed is a possibility,and it is based on the supposition(no more) that the family at CefenCoed 1841 is that of Thomas(though no baptismal record has been found) and then that the baptism of Hannah is the right one(despite John Jones not being an anglicisation of Owen Owens?),with no marriage of this couple identified(Sarah may be the mother of Hannah,but not necessarily of Thomas-second marriage etc.).
I did wonder if it was correct there was some link between the James Davies and Sarah Davies,but I can't see how this might make Thomas a cousin of DJM/DSM!
It's al more than a bit tenuous

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 September 13 23:01 BST (UK) »
I have re-examined the Hannah Jones record and it looks like I misread it due to the alignment of names and John Jones is the correct father,making it more likely that this is the correct family(though I think the alignment says he is a farmer rather than labourer(perhaps Ag Lab?))
The baptism for Thomas and the marriage for John/Sarah still needs to be identified.

Regards
Roger