Author Topic: Honora/Nora YOUNG & Lancelot COSTELLO  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Anne W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Honora/Nora YOUNG & Lancelot COSTELLO
« on: Sunday 01 April 12 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
        I've hit a brickwall trying to trace Honora Young who married Lancelot Costello in 1852 in Ballarat. I can find no birth or death for her or any immigration records.

The couple had two children JOHN born 1855 in Ballarat and LANCELOT born 1857 also in Ballarat. Lancelot senior died in 1859 in Ballarat so there is a good chance that Honora remarried, but a can't find any evidence of this.

Lancelot Costello was an Irish convict from Tipperary, convicted of Manslaughter and transported on the St Vincent arriving in 1837. He got his TOL for the Goulburn area.

Lancelot Costello and Honora Young's son John end up in Bourke NSW , where he lived for 5 years with my Ann Hart/Magee's daughter. I am trying to find out if Honorah Young is any relation to Bridget Young, who married Richard Hart in 1852 in Gundagai and was the mother of Steve Hart who was a member of the Kelly gang.

Lancelot can be Lanty and Honora can be Nora, just to make things interesting! Any help with this would be great

Bye
Anne

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Honora/Nora Young & Lancelot Costello
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 April 12 08:12 BST (UK) »
Here is a long shot ...
There is a marriage in NSW BDM for a John Dunn and a Harumoriah (!) Costello in Sydney in 1860.  There are then births with parents John and Honoria Dunn.

By the way at Ballarat Cemetery it has Launcelot (!) Costello with several others in the grave but I don't think they are relevant http://ballaratcemeteries.com.au/php/sitesummary.php?id=37753

cheers,
   Ros

adding : marriage reg 203/1860
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/COSTELLO/2010-08/1280894834

The above states:

I believe her father was William and that she died in 1902 in Eganstown

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 12 08:40 BST (UK) »
The couple had two children JOHN born 1855 in Ballarat and LANCELOT born 1857 also in Ballarat.

They actually had four children here are the other two:

Births:

COSLOW Mary Ann b. 1854 BALL #4315
Father: Launcelot
Mother: Ann HONOR

COSTELLO Timothy b. 1859 BALLT #2080
Father: Lancelot
Mother: Honora YOUNG

Deaths:

COSTELO Maryann age 10mths d. 1855 BALL #1195
Mother: Nora

COSTELLO Timothy age 2mths d. 1859 WAR #1221
Mother: Honora

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 April 12 09:03 BST (UK) »
You have two lads but one 'he'.

Lancelot Costello and Honora Young's son John end up in Bourke NSW , where he lived for 5 years with my Ann Hart/Magee's daughter

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 April 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
At Eganstown cemetery:

McMAHON John, Bridget Mary, Mary Ann, Honora, Nora Monica, Dennis

ONEIL John, Honora

PRENDERGAST Honora, Patrick, John

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 April 12 09:25 BST (UK) »
Ballarat cemetery:

Timothy COSTELLO 2mths 22-1-1859

As written on the site:

Costelo   Mary Ann F/Lanty M/   17Mar1855   10mth   Ballarat?

Jamjar

Offline Anne W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 April 12 10:02 BST (UK) »
 Thank you everyone for your help. If the RootsWeb poster is correct and Honora Young was from Tipperary then she can't be Bridget Young's relation as Bridget was from Galway.

Trove is misbehaving at the moment and I can't get on, but will try again later. I totally missed the two children who died young, thank you JamJar.

Lancelot Costello's and Honora Young's son John Costello born 1855 is the one who ended up in Bourke and was living with Frances Julia Crawford nee Magee. Frances Julia's mother was Ann Hart who could very well be the sister of Richard Hart who married Bridget Young. We have been trying to prove the relationship between Richard and Ann Hart ( see various RootsChat posts)

I was just wondering if Honora Young could just possibly be a relation to Bridget Young. It would be a real link between Ann Hart and Richard Hart if she was.

thank you again,
Anne