Author Topic: How long after a birth could a child be registered in 1858? COMPLETED  (Read 9474 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How long after a birth could a child be registered in 1858?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 April 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
The only burial I can see that looks like one of John & Mary's children....

Burial, Tydd St Mary - Mary Elizabeth Belding, 30th April 1855, aged 6yrs

There is a death registration for a Lucy Ann Belding in 1855, JuneQ, Holbeach R/D.... but no age to help and I can't find a burial  :-\

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 April 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1881 census it can't be the correct burial for Mary Elizabeth Belding as she is married by then to John Leafe and sister in law Annie A Belding is with them.

1881 - RG11/ Piece/ 3268/ Folio: 123/ Page 12 - 221 Cleethorpes Road, Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 April 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
If you follow this link: http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=554022&iid=207034, that will show a burial at Tydd St Mary, of a person which looks like May Elizabeth Belding on 30th April 1855, buried at Tydd St Mary by a James Barryman, officiating minister.

Because all the writing is the same I think that these records are Bishops Transcripts as opposed to the original entries by the parish clerk, but if they are the original, it certainly isn't Lucy Ann Belding at all.

Certainly Mary Elizabeth Belding did marry John Leng Leafe in Boston in September 1870.

In a previous entry I said Mary Walker, I meant Mary Belding ne Aylward, who was married to John Walker Belding.

Tom

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 07:13 BST (UK) »
Free BMD does indeed have this death.

Deaths Jun 1855   

Belding  Lucy Ann    Holbeach  7a 203 (although looking at the image it should read 208- I have notified them of that)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 09:22 BST (UK) »
So it seems then that registered births before 1875 cannot always be trusted, but it is very confusing isn't? The reason for starting this thread was because looking at the lists of registered births on Free BMD for Belding children born between 1848 & 1861, there seemed to be two born in the same year, but within 6 months of one another. These two seemed to be of the same parents. They were Anne Aylward Belding in Wisbeach in December 1859 & William Belding in St Luke, Middlesex in June 1859. This second child, William, aged 2, bn. Middlesex, NK, I have found  in the 1861 census  with his grand parents in Long Sutton, William & Lucy Belding, who were grand parents of Anne Aylward Belding as well.

Seeing both children being born so close together and in a place so far from Lincolnshire made me wonder if they had the same mother? Now it seems the whole family moved to London after the birth of Anne Belding in 1858, as opposed to 1859. 

Thanks for all your contributions.

Tom

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
but within 6 months of one another. These two seemed to be of the same parents.

Not physically possible.  ;D  However, remember that the registration was quarterly, so if one was born late December they would be probably be registered in the March quarter and if the second was registered in the September quarter there might just be 9 months between them. Allowing for premature births, just possible. I would think they are more likely to be cousins sharing the same grandparents.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
By the way,I presume you've found 12 year old William in an orphange in 1871?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
Oh Yes, William was at Ashley Down House, Muller Orphanages in Bristol-apparently I have also only recently discovered that in 1862, the Holbeach Union were involved in the life of young William,; it seems that he was considered an orphan in that year, even though his parents which I think were his were both alive, so it would seem that he may have been sent there as young as 3. I think I will contact the Muller Orphanages and see what records they have.

MULLERS HOMES FOR CHILDREN ADMIN. MULLER HOUSE.

7 COTHAM PK. BRISTOL. 0117 924 5001

I believe there is a £25 charge for records.

see thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,326423.0.html

I don't know what happened to William after 1871.

Mind you his other brother Prior went to an orphanage in Clapham, London, Stockwell Orphanage, and his brother George must have gone to one in Manchester, because he re-appears in 1881 in Salford as a baker.

As regards the birth of Annie & William, clearly Annie wasn't born in 1859, just registered then, she was born in May 1858, as the baptism at Tydd St Mary states 4th May 1858, baptised privately, parents John  & Mary, him a tailor.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 12:50 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I have now discovered what really happened-it wasn't a late registration at all. Annie Belding was christened on 4th May 1858 at Tydd St Mary, by a David Long, curate, daughter of John & Mary Belding as per first line of thread, however, she was buried, 3 days later at the same church, on 7th May, so most likely  was christened privately because of imminent death.

See this link

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=554022&iid=207047

There is a death recorded at Holbeach RD in June qtr of 1858, Holbeach    7a   218, no need to register birth & death at same time.

So the birth in 1859 still most likely, await birth cert, which makes the birth of William still a problem-Oh well back to the drawing board!