Author Topic: Cleaning printer rollers.  (Read 9517 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning printer rollers.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
If you phone HP support they will tell you to only clean the rollers with a lightly moistened cloth (make sure the printer is unplugged from the power source and  pc first) and definitely not use any other kind of cleaning fluid!
(I should know I dished out this information daily in another lifetime for a number of years)

If the printer works with other kinds of paper, you might find the photopaper has absorbed moisture from the air if the packet has been opened and left a while, this is the most common cause of paper jams.

You didn't say what grade of photo paper you are using?
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 14:14 BST (UK) »

(I should know I dished out this information daily in another lifetime for a number of years)

With respect, I used to service diagnostic lab equipment for 20+ years, which usually included a printer, often abused, and often long past its sell by date.  I would not recommend cleaning rollers with WD-40 unless I'd seen the results for myself over many years, and I know it works  :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
Nick... I definitely wouldn't recommend WD40 either ... I said   meant WATER
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating"  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 16:15 BST (UK) »

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline jayfish

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 April 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi ...
 Very many thanks to all who were kind enough to answer with a range of products. 

The stuff used obviously has to evaporate quickly so as not to leave a residue and possibly damage the rollers.      So....... after much head scratching I`ve come to the conclusion that `rubbing alcohol ` (the easy name for the stuff I need but no longer stocked by chemists)  is  probably surgical spirit or as near as dammit.
Unless of course someone can tell me different  before I rot my rollers with the stuff ?????
Thanks again
Jay

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 April 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
Not sure of your situation, but a friend , bought a H P, printer today, for under 50 euros, with two cartridges,  it costs me more than that to buy a black  and colour cartridges, so i could'nt be that mean to worry abou cleaning rollers, just buy a new printer
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 April 12 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi ...
 Very many thanks to all who were kind enough to answer with a range of products. 

The stuff used obviously has to evaporate quickly so as not to leave a residue and possibly damage the rollers.      So....... after much head scratching I`ve come to the conclusion that `rubbing alcohol ` (the easy name for the stuff I need but no longer stocked by chemists)  is  probably surgical spirit or as near as dammit.
Unless of course someone can tell me different  before I rot my rollers with the stuff ?????
Thanks again
Jay

Surgical spirit won't 'rot' the rollers, but it could drive out the natural oils in the rubber and make them harden, which could make the problem worse.  Which is why I suggested WD-40 because it does contain a small amount of mineral oils, which can actually rejuvenate 'tired' rubber rollers when used correctly.  I've also read that eucalyptus oil is quite good too, but I haven't tried it, and not everyone will appreciate the odour  :)   Whatever you use, use it very sparingly, because most people who say "Xxxxxxx has ruined my printer" say it because they drowned the innards of the printer in it !  ::)

Best Wishes,  Nick.