Author Topic: Where is Cragganfearne? Looking for info on the Laird - Fleming  (Read 17002 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Cragganfearne? Looking for info on the Laird - Fleming
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 05 May 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Cragganfearn location.

Malky

Offline SAS1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 05 May 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Don! - for clearing up the information on the land area - when I googled Tullymet the only thing that came up was a street! Yes the spelling made a difference! I had no idea that there was a meaning to the words Burn or 'Haugh of' either. I am sure that will come in handy with further researching.                                                 

I did find the marriage of Alexander Fleming and Margaret Forbes as you stated. Isobell's birth was listed under Scotland Births and Baptisms. Showing a Christening Date 01 Oct 1797 Christening Place   DOWALLY, PERTH, SCOTLAND Birth Date 20 Sep 1797 parents John Fleming and Janet Ross. Again - not being familiar with the area, I do not know how close / far everything is. We are planning a trip to the UK and Europe in the future - am hoping to stay a bit longer in the Perth area than I did previously - there about 10 yrs ago but only had a little information at that time and didn't realize that there was so much information. At the time we spent 2 days seeing the area of Perth and Blairgowrie/ Rattery area, river Tay etc. Loved to walks and found out that the family research society was there but they were closed. As we were there with my in laws, I also did not have the chance to actually spend time in research either.

I have not found the birth of Christopher Alexander Fleming yet either but still looking. Yes records are sometimes lost and family Bible records are not always accurate, however so far the copy I have of the Douglass Bible has been fairly accurate. The info of John Fleming being the supposed son of the Laird of Cragganfearne is NOT a part of the Bible, just was information in a letter to my Aunt from a distant cousin. As it was written in parenthesis by his name but his mothers husband was listed as Christopher Alexander Fleming - I wondered if that meant that possibly C A Fleming was the step father or that maybe he (John Fleming) was a son of the Laird and was 'born on the wrong side of the sheets' as they used to say. Either way, not a major deal to me, just following up on family information / stories.

Again and also - thank you for the information on further searching as well - very helpful to someone across the pond! Kind of kicking myself as had a subscription to UK census information awhile back but did not think to check Scotland at the time as was researching more of my husbands side of the family then - SAS

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 05 May 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All

For Blair Atholl area see link below

www.brorenich.co.uk

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Concerning Alexander Fleeming / Fleming and  Margaret Forbes

This may be of use, but then again ............

Fleming is a very uncommon name in Blair Atholl parish and the use of Christopher as a forename is totally unknown by the local inhabitants

Alexander Fleming in Mains of Blair and Margaret Forbes in Ardkincael, marriage banns 9th March 1769.  The Session Minutes show that the marriage entries in the OPR give the date when the parties gave in their names (in order to marriage).

She would have been known as Margaret Forbes, even after marriage, as was the tradition in Scotland.

Their son John, was born at Ardkincael, but this does not mean that Alexander Fleming was living there.  It was not unusual for the first child to be born in the house of the wife's parents where her mother could supervise the first delivery. It also suggests that Margaret Forbes was not just a servant girl working at Ardkincael when she married.

John was the only child and it is highly probable that Margaret Forbes died in childbirth or soon afterwards.

Alexander Fleming remarried seven years later.

Alexander Fleeming in Mains of Blair and Christian Stewart in Blair, married 23 Dec 1777

The baptism of Christian (30th October 1778) tells us that Alexander Fleming was cow-herd to His Grace the Duke of Atholl. An important position as it was a large herd with prize beasts, large enough to need full-time dairymaids.

Donald was born at Mains of Blair, 24th July 1780.

Katharine was born at Porter Lodge (of Blair), 12th July 1783

Margaret was born at the West Lodge of Blair (this may be the same place), 7th March 1786, and

Alexander was born at the West Lodge of Blair, 22nd March 1789.

There is no record of a Janet being baptised in Blair Atholl (Jessie would be the familiar or family name)

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)