Author Topic: Where is Cragganfearne? Looking for info on the Laird - Fleming  (Read 16996 times)

Offline ontchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Cragganfearne? Looking for info on the Laird - Fleming
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cambron!!!

The Camerons held the rental of Craggenfearn abt 1707. 
Thomas Fleming b. Feb 28, 1704 m. Elspeth Cameron b. 1709.  Their children were:
Male b. Feb 1, 1736 Blair Athol
Janet b. Mar 13, 1740 "     "
Elspeth b. Oct 27, 1745  "  "
Donald b. June 13, 1747  "   ""
Robert b. Apr. 9, 1750  "  "
John b. June 25, 1752  "  "
Christian b. Sept 26, 1755  "  "

I am still looking for the 'Laird" Fleming and was wondering if Thomas and Elspeth's eldest son may be him?  Does this family fall into your line.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
Scarr (Yorkshire-North); Tipper (anywhere England); Fleming (Perth, Scotland); McDougall (Argyll, Scotland); Cole (England); Francis (England/Germany); Beagan and Madigans (Ireland); Ferrier (Angus, Scotland)

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ontchick

<I am still looking for the 'Laird" Fleming and was wondering if Thomas and Elspeth's eldest son may be him?  Does this family fall into your line.  Any ideas would be appreciated. >

Only one question. In view of all we've discussed why would, or should he be? Sometime you may have to accept that there was no "Laird" Fleming and it's a myth dreamed up by one of your old grannies to keep up with someone else who had pretensions to nobility. Something on the lines of "My ancestor was Laird of Cragganfearn, you know."

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Benning/Bening - Middx, & Cambs
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Ellington - Suffolk/Cambs
Elsworth - New York
Fayers/Faiers/Faires - Suffolk
Grasemann - Germany & London
Howels - Hants
Mitchell - Sussex, Surrey
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Raines - Co Cork, Ireland
Rysdyck/Rysdyke - Netherlands, & New York
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk
Woodham - Cambs, Beds, Essex

Offline ontchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tickle

Ok he wasn't a 'Laird" but he must of had a name...just trying to find out what it is.

Onchick
Scarr (Yorkshire-North); Tipper (anywhere England); Fleming (Perth, Scotland); McDougall (Argyll, Scotland); Cole (England); Francis (England/Germany); Beagan and Madigans (Ireland); Ferrier (Angus, Scotland)

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

OK so how do you connect to these Thomas and Elspeth? Do you have the direct line of descent back to this couple?

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York
Howels - Hants
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how this web site works but I'm at Blair  Castle next month researching the camerons circa 1750 so if any of you want to confirm any of the tenant records of the atholl estate let me know.

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cambron

I have the Douglas records from Craganfearne, but if you stumble over the family anywhere else on the estate, particularly in the Logierait/Dowally area 1730-1800 please make a note. I will be interested to see how you get on with the Camerons. It might be worth looking at Robertsons as well as they figure in the general area, and in a number of marriages.

Regards

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York
Howels - Hants
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk

Offline ontchick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Tickle

I dont have this information in stone but two Douglas sisters supposedly married Fleming cousins in the 1770 - 1800.

As for a direct line to Thomas and Elspeth Fleming I dont have that either but am trying to see if there is a connection.

My 3x great grandfather, Alexander Fleming, was born at Craggenfearn in1799 and was a stone mason in and around Atholl, (he is buried about 5 mins from my house); his father John Fleming was born abt 1769 in Craggenfearn and he married Janet Ross. The father of John was ??? (my Laird) sometime around 1730-1745 at Atholl, Perth.

Thomas Fleming's unnamed eldest son fits the timeline for birth of John's father.  So there is the reason for my inquiry of the Fleming/Cameron family.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Ontchick

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ontchick

Questions I'm afraid:

What is your primary source (ie OPR,) for Alexander Fleming's birth at Craganfearn in 1799? (He wasn't, I promise!)

What is your primary source for the birth of John Fleming at Craganfearn circa 1769? (He wasn't either, on both counts.)

What is your primary source for the marriage of John Fleming and Janet Ross. (The IGI is not the primary source.)

What is the connection between Flemings in Logierait Parish (probably not Craganfearn,) and Flemings at Atholl (separate Parish, several miles away.)?

The unnamed Fleming born 1736 is likely to remain unnamed as it has for the past 270 years, so for your purposes is 99.9% useless. Your possible line of descent will be through the other 3 brothers. You have at least two, possibly three,  missing generations between Alexander and Thomas and Elspeth. The only way you will sort this out is by lookiing at primary sources which are located at Perth and Blair Atholl. No amount of gazing at the IGI is going to sort out your family back into the 18th century. Can I suggest that you invest a few dollars and write to the AK Bell library in Perth and ask them to do the research for you. It will cost you but it will get either rid of, or set in stone, all your suppositions. There is no guarantee that the information you seek is even available, but only by going to the fountainhead wil you ever find out. The ladies at Perth are both charming and very helpful and there is a stack of sources there which will help you.

Sorry to play devil's advocate, but if it's the whole truth you are after there is really only one way to find it. Ignore the 'legend' for the moment and try and find your real family. If all of a sudden the legend fits the known FACTS then so well and good. If it doesn't, forget it!

Tickle

Alder - Berks
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Elsworth - New York
Howels - Hants
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk

Offline Suzie Q

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Has there been any further information verified about the Flemings?  I also descend from the Flemings and am new to RootsChat.  I was given the same information that is now being questioned.